Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Plastic Fans, Plastic Cats and Dogs

Sometimes distance can lend you a perspective on things that isn''t possible when you''re caught up in the moment.

I note that between 40,000 and 50,000 Norwich City "fans" turned out to see "their team" at City Hall.  Would these be the same fans who failed to fill Carrow Road for the first 12 games?  The same fans who didn''t take their places in those extra seats that McNally and Bowkett thought would be needed?

Dear, oh dear.  Whatever happened to For Better For Worse, For Richer, For Poorer?  A little success and all the plastic fans come scuttling out of the woodwork.  Still, perhaps after an initial taste of success they will get hooked and come back time after time.  Or perhaps they will drift away with the Autumn leaves once we''re in the bottom half of the table come November.  Who can tell?  At least thanks to the BBC and Match of the Day, The World And His Wife can watch without a satellite dish.

Well I didn''t go and im a ST holder for the past 10 years. Someone I work with went and they can''t afford t oget to games.

You must also note that most people will have gone with their wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/children etc. which will add to the numbers.

This is very boring..

What gives you the right to question anyones motive for going to or not going to games?

There are fans of every football team who don''t/can''t go to games, because of location, money etc etc.

Why do people not realise success will breed more interest? I will personally go to what ever Norwich games i can for as long as possible. I have had a season ticket for quite a while now, but don''t feel the need to call anyone a ''plastic fan'' just because they gained more of an interest in a more successful and entertaining team. If you played football or any other hobby that involved winning or losing, wouldn''t you be more interested, and dedicate more time/money etc to that when you were winning? Or at least be more enthusiastic about it.

In a perfect world, you would support your football team through thick and thin, and most people do. Maybe smaller gates were more to do with a lack of money? People who can''t afford much decided that football should go further down the pecking order, but once they realise what there missing, it gets higher.

And as for the parade, Banana has it right, family who may have never gone to a game before were going, probably some people who were finishing work at that time and just wanted to join in etc etc. Norwich City Football Club is part of Norwich, most people who aren''t bothered about football are happy to ignore that, but do you really have to complain, or even comment about the extras joining in?

Ever considered that some people can''t afford to go to Carrow Road reguarly? We are in the middle of a recession and football is hardly a cheap hobby! I went with a few friends who are local to Norfolk but not really football fans, who went out of a sense of local pride. It beggars belief that anybody can find a negative out of 40,000 people turning up in the city centre to show their appreciatin for our teams efforts.

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"]

Sometimes distance can lend you a perspective on things that isn''t possible when you''re caught up in the moment.

I note that between 40,000 and 50,000 Norwich City "fans" turned out to see "their team" at City Hall.  Would these be the same fans who failed to fill Carrow Road for the first 12 games?  The same fans who didn''t take their places in those extra seats that McNally and Bowkett thought would be needed?

Dear, oh dear.  Whatever happened to For Better For Worse, For Richer, For Poorer?  A little success and all the plastic fans come scuttling out of the woodwork.  Still, perhaps after an initial taste of success they will get hooked and come back time after time.  Or perhaps they will drift away with the Autumn leaves once we''re in the bottom half of the table come November.  Who can tell?  At least thanks to the BBC and Match of the Day, The World And His Wife can watch without a satellite dish.

[/quote]

BOOOOOOORRINNNG

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"]

[/quote]

BOOOOOOORRINNNG

To be honest, I got such a sense of pride that there were so many people there because of the achievments of my team.

Seeing all that yellow was something else. Whatever sort of fan they are or aren''t, I don''t care!

Agreed, rediculously boring.  I swear there are some right idiots on the wind-up.

A work colleague of mine (female and nearing retirement) has been to a couple of promotion parades now and just supports the team even though she never goes to a game.

I mean FFS, do we really care that she has never stepped inside Carrow Road but loves what it does for our Norfolk community??

I''m sure the OP is just on the wind-up like I say, but I just don''t get it.

This freakin board as soon as the promotion party was over got all negative and the two biggest threads are about plastic fans and purists. Says it all about us sad acts on this board.

I long for more transfer speculation threads just to drown the other crap out.

Bore Bore Bor wrote the following post at 12/05/2011 8:58 PM:

I note that between 40,000 and 50,000 Norwich City "fans" turned out to see "their team" at City Hall. Would these be the same fans who failed to fill Carrow Road for the first 12 games? The same fans who didn''t take their places in those extra seats that McNally and Bowkett thought would be needed?

Dear, oh dear. Whatever happened to For Better For Worse, For Richer, For Poorer? A little success and all the plastic fans come scuttling out of the woodwork. Still, perhaps after an initial taste of success they will get hooked and come back time after time. Or perhaps they will drift away with the Autumn leaves once we''re in the bottom half of the table come November. Who can tell? At least thanks to the BBC and Match of the Day, The World And His Wife can watch without a satellite dish.

I think there are something like 400,000 people worldwide, who follow City in one form or another.

Just how are they all supposed fit into Carrow Road every week?

Looking at your location i''ll hazzard a guess you don''t go every week either, but just felt you had to have a moan.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Well I didn''t go and im a ST holder for the past 10 years. Someone I work with went and they can''t afford t oget to games.

You must also note that most people will have gone with their wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/children etc. which will add to the numbers.

[/quote]

By the way, I completely take back what I said in the other thread. Completely redeemed.

[quote user="Downloads"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

By the way, I completely take back what I said in the other thread. Completely redeemed.

[/quote]

Why, which thread?

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

Banana - was it also you who didn''t go to the Coventry game?

I''ll probably get blasted for this but...

...People who say that fans cant get to game cause of money etc, how come our attendances are up this season and the cost of tickets are also up?

Because they put in more seats?

I just think we need the season ticket holders, we need the casual fans and we need the fans who don''t go to any games.

People who don''t go to any games can still buy merchandise for parades, buy shirts and live in or around the City.

Who cares, more the merrier!

This looks like another thread to draw a line under.

how can the OP slate fans for going to games and celebrating, and yet, if it is true, it say he is in the West Indies!, and I haven''t noticed you on here much before we got promotion! What is wrong with us getting higher attendances? Would you rather 5000 turn up every week? People like you are an absolute joke. I suppose people have to have something to moan about, but have pride in the fact we are getting 26000+ every week, and don''t moan about it!

Guys, don''t humour this guy with a response. WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE! We have nothing to moan about right now, ignore anyone who does.

I love this club, the players, board, coaches and the fans, no-one will knock that or make me feel bad about them

OTBC

[quote user="ryan1992"]

how can the OP slate fans for going to games and celebrating, and yet, if it is true, it say he is in the West Indies!, and I haven''t noticed you on here much before we got promotion! What is wrong with us getting higher attendances? Would you rather 5000 turn up every week? People like you are an absolute joke. I suppose people have to have something to moan about, but have pride in the fact we are getting 26000+ every week, and don''t moan about it!

[/quote]

I think I have got this plastic fan thing all wronge, I put it down to people like my son-in-law lives in Yarmouth and supports Liverpool but never seen them live other than on TV he wears the Reds shirt every day, also some westham fans I know in Yarmouth never go to see them play and now none can be seen wearing thier shirts, Are these also called Glory hunters as well,  people that can''t make it to Carrow road every week can''t be called Plastic fans, we don''t know what keeps them away weather it be work family or the cost, I am more fortunate than most I have nothing to stop me going, that don''t make me a better or more Loyal than the next fan, It matters not how oftern a fan goes to Carrow rd we are all fans of Norwich city.   

Perhaps, just perhaps

This is a parody of the other ''chap'' who doesn''t go to games, as ''he'' is supposedly in some far off part of the world

Someone whose initials are also BBB and frequently posts up some weird and/or boring shee - ite

Or maybe it was serious and you have all put up very good posts in reply

I wonder

[quote user="City1st"]Perhaps, just perhaps This is a parody of the other ''chap'' who doesn''t go to games, as ''he'' is supposedly in some far off part of the world Someone whose initials are also BBB and frequently posts up some weird and/or boring shee - ite [/quote]

[:)] [;)]

Well, nutty, I suppose you can fool a lot of the people much of the time.

But, quite frankly, I far prefer when you do Margaret Thatcher............

And............

[pi]

Plastic fans! what a load of nonsense, i know people who haven''t even stepped one foot in carrow road, but at the moment they are so proud to be part of whats happened because they love this fine city of ours.

And for some others who haven''t been attending did you not realize we''ve had an Economic Crisis or did that just pass you by.

What a moronic post!  Did occur to your tiny brain that just maybe the people who go to the games took their families to the parade, thus multiplying the numbers.....

I think that with the recession and the cost of matches (for most clubs; not just Norwich) being so high, it is fair to decide if you think that £30+ quid or so for an afternoon watching football is good value.

I was there - I took short notice holiday and travelled from Wales for the celebrations. I can''t do that every week for home games because I work on Saturdays even if I could afford the 500 mile round trip every week. I try to go to a couple of home games a season and as many away games as possible. Just how plastic am I please?

Was there 40000 last year!!! No. I would rather they were not all there.Bloody plastics!!