Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

Do you think we need more "bite" in midfield?

Just want to canvas opinion on this topic.I beleive that Adeyemi and Korey Smith may both be loaned out next season. This leaves us with the midfielders of Fox, Surman and Crofts. Crofts for me is the only real ball winner out of the 3. Fox, and particularly Surman are somewhat lightweight and may struggle against bigger, more physical players. We are linked with Cohen, but again he does not sound like a player who really gets stuck in.So I think we could do with signing another more physical midfield player. What do you think?On that note, Aron Gunnarsson is available on a free, he is a defensive midfielder who is also comfortable on the ball from I saw of him in the Coventry game. He  might be worth a look as he seems to have plenty of potential.

I think we do.

It''s been great lately when we have the ball, but winning it back in the Prem is another thing altogether! Teams like Arsenal will retain the ball for half an hour unless we are capable of intercepting. That is the FA''s latest coaching concept by the way; ''the art of intercepting is the new tackling''...for which, you don''t necessarily need bruisers like Dickson Etuhu.

Crofts is good at anticipating - we need another like him - but they''re not on every street corner are they?

Perhaps a good reason to keep Korey in the squad then? He''s a tenacious & dogged little so & so with good skill. He was incredibly unlucky not to score in his last appearance. He''s the sort of player I could see growing into a Prem. player, just needs a bit of a confidence boost really.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Perhaps a good reason to keep Korey in the squad then? He''s a tenacious & dogged little so & so with good skill. He was incredibly unlucky not to score in his last appearance. He''s the sort of player I could see growing into a Prem. player, just needs a bit of a confidence boost really.[/quote]I think we do look more solid with Korey in the team.

I think it''s the area we most need improving, first team wise actually, espeically the centre mids. Surman and Crofts roles have been vital in how we have attacked and defended. They have to work hard to make sure that the defence has some cover apart from Fox, and then they have to make forward runs and make sure they are always moving to keep the attack going. They also tend to close the wingers and full backs alot too.

I think the two centre midfielders, Surman and Crofts aren''t going to be good enough to play consistently in the Premiership and in this role. Don''t get me wrong, they done fantastically last season but I feel we need some quality in them two positions they play in as they are vital to the side. I think Tamir Cohen can definitely fill the crofts role as he is very good defensively but when he does attack he has scored goals.

I''m sure he will do well in the Prem. I think he has a big future for us, granted, he didn''t play too many games this year, but that was more to do with the form of the others and the fact we had Crofts and Fox doing some of the defensive duties.

I said in my Lansbury or Pacheco thread that I would actually sign Lansbury and drop Surman.

Fox dictates pretty much all of our attacks. They nearly all start from him. Depending on what Fox (and to a lesser extent Whitbread) does with the ball decides how we attack.

I would be very comfortable in the prem with Fox dictating play, Hoolahan giving the opposition defence a torrid time and Crofts and Lansbury getting the ball off anyone who thinks they should have it.

I really think we should give Korey Smith a good go next season.  He would definitely add that ''bite''.  I think his play on the ball is actually underated as well.  I don''t think Crofts is actually much better than him tbh.

I do think we need someone else in that department though.  Tamir Cohen (IF we sign him) isn''t afraid to get stuck in but we might need someone else as well who is a bit of a ''bruiser'' as someone else put it.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the midfield will be strengthened. I like Korey Smith but his game management isn''t at the level required..yet. Its all well and good, having a good engine and getting into the opposition but he needs to offer more on the ball for me.

An experienced, midfielder is crucial in my opinion, somebody who can break up play but can also dictate things. Easier said than done

First that I have heard of this Tamir Cohen rumour and not sure that I would want us to be signing a Bolton reserve.As for us needing a bit of midfield muscle, I have been saying it for ages and wholeheartedly agree.  Not sure who I would be tempted to bring in as yet either, but he doesn''t have to be a big old bruiser, as long as he knows how to win the ball, covers some ground, works hard and can play a little bit too (hopefully an improvement on what we already have at the club).I am sure that Korey will have his day and will maybe get a few games for us next year.  If he is to go out on loan then I would hope that it would either be a short term loan or have the option for an instant recall.

"Who let the fox out" Personally I wouldn''t like to see that. I remember against Leeds away when Lansbury played on the left hand side of the diamond. Our team didn''t look very balanced and he kept going out of position. It would probably work in any other formation but if we''re playing the diamond then i''d much prefer to have Surman in there.

Reo-Coker is on a free this summer if I have read things right, worked with O''Neill so another link although they did fall out at one point I believe.

As for players that get stuck in, I think you mean a player with more physical presence. And yes they are two different things.

All of our midfield look to track and tackle but some are more easily pushed or held off the ball. But I don''t think that is where we loose out so much as when we get countered we tend to have one man less in midfield with the formation we play or sometimes a good switch catches us out narrow.

So for me the biggest thing to watch will be who Lambert signs because we need to be more tactically flexible to play in the premiership. Its all very good going gun ho but against the top teams you want to be able to play games where you might only see 40% of the ball and prevent them from doing anything with the lion share of the possession.

Just heard that Patrick Viera is also on a free this summer. A bit of a veteran at 35 and not really a Lambert signing as such but you can''t dismiss the quality he has.

I could see QPR getting him.

Tad harsh calling Fox lightweight, I think that was everyones opinion (including mine) of him after the first few games, but he really toughen''d up and was outstanding at the back end of the season.

We need a nasty,horrible Michael Brown/Robbie Savage type. Not to play everygame but to come on and do the nitty gritty when we are 1-0 up with 20 mins left.

The irony of this thread (is it irony or am I turning into a football pundit/Alanis Morissette [;)]) is that we actually look a lot better as a team with the ''lightweight'' Fox at the base of the diamond rather than the more combative Crofts. There is more to playing in that deep lying midfield role than ''bite'' and aggression. You have to be astute positionally and able to read the game so you know where you need to fill in and cover. I think there will be occasions next season where we will need an extra body in the centre of midfield (switching to a 4-2-3-1 maybe?) but would imagine it will be a similar player to Fox rather than a scrapper. Maybe someone with more experience who can be a calming influence but certainly somebody who can pass the ball well.

[quote user="chicken"]Reo-Coker is on a free this summer if I have read things right, worked with O''Neill so another link although they did fall out at one point I believe.

As for players that get stuck in, I think you mean a player with more physical presence. And yes they are two different things.

All of our midfield look to track and tackle but some are more easily pushed or held off the ball. But I don''t think that is where we loose out so much as when we get countered we tend to have one man less in midfield with the formation we play or sometimes a good switch catches us out narrow.

So for me the biggest thing to watch will be who Lambert signs because we need to be more tactically flexible to play in the premiership. Its all very good going gun ho but against the top teams you want to be able to play games where you might only see 40% of the ball and prevent them from doing anything with the lion share of the possession.[/quote]Reo-Coker? Its not going to happen.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]The irony of this thread (is it irony or am I turning into a football pundit/Alanis Morissette [;)]) is that we actually look a lot better as a team with the ''lightweight'' Fox at the base of the diamond rather than the more combative Crofts. There is more to playing in that deep lying midfield role than ''bite'' and aggression. You have to be astute positionally and able to read the game so you know where you need to fill in and cover. I think there will be occasions next season where we will need an extra body in the centre of midfield (switching to a 4-2-3-1 maybe?) but would imagine it will be a similar player to Fox rather than a scrapper. Maybe someone with more experience who can be a calming influence but certainly somebody who can pass the ball well. [/quote]Scott Parker returning to City if West Ham are relegated???I wonder how much he would cost at knocking on 31 years of age if this was to happen?  Anybody know how long he has to run on his contract?

[quote user="Shack Attack"]The irony of this thread (is it irony or am I turning into a football pundit/Alanis Morissette [;)]) is that we actually look a lot better as a team with the ''lightweight'' Fox at the base of the diamond rather than the more combative Crofts. There is more to playing in that deep lying midfield role than ''bite'' and aggression. You have to be astute positionally and able to read the game so you know where you need to fill in and cover. I think there will be occasions next season where we will need an extra body in the centre of midfield (switching to a 4-2-3-1 maybe?) but would imagine it will be a similar player to Fox rather than a scrapper. Maybe someone with more experience who can be a calming influence but certainly somebody who can pass the ball well. [/quote]It''s always a toss up between that combative "Destroyer" or the silky ball-player. Given that there are so few players that can do both (can we afford Xavi Alonso?) most teams have to make a trade-off. Do you go for Fox at the base and two hard workers alongside (Crofts and "?") or do you go for that defending strength at the base (Crofts) and two expansive players ahead (Surman and/or others?).You have it spot on Shack. We will add players so that (like this season) we can play both ways!

Scott Parker returning to City if West Ham are relegated???

I wonder how much he would cost at knocking on 31 years of age if this was to happen? Anybody know how long he has to run on his contract?

your joking right he will join one of the big six

[quote user=""]Scott Parker returning to City if West Ham are relegated???

I wonder how much he would cost at knocking on 31 years of age if this was to happen? Anybody know how long he has to run on his contract?

your joking right he will join one of the big six[/quote]Why?  Which of the BIG SIX would want him?Who are the BIG SIX in your opinion?I think that City could well challnge for a place in next seasons TOP SIX, so why not go for Scott Parker?  How much would he cost?  How long is left on his contract?He undoubtedly wouldn''t fit the wage structure that Lambert possibly has in place, but if we really want to achieve then I think that we may just need to make space for the odd exception or two to that rule?

United - No

Chelsea - No

Arsenal - No

Man City - No

Liverpool - Doubtful

Spurs - Possible, Very Possible.

It isn''t the top six he would consider it is the top ten. He has already gambled a couple of times with teams he obviously thought were going to do better (Newcastle, West Ham) so I can''t see him looking to gamble again with a lower club at the age of 30.

If not a top six then proven teams like Everton, Bolton or even Stoke, who will be in Europe, could appeal. As much as I agree that I would love to see him with us I am afraid we won''t see Scott Parker in a yellow shirt.

[quote user="CDMullins"]United - No

Chelsea - No

Arsenal - No

Man City - No

Liverpool - Doubtful

Spurs - Possible, Very Possible.[/quote]To sit on the bench and watch Modric?I don''t think any of the top teams will be interested.  Biggest club I could see him moving to would be somebody like Villa.

Would play second fiddle to Arteta and Cahill at Everton too.If we aren''t wanting to compete with the likes of Stoke City and Bolton why don''t we just stay in the Championship?If somebody is going to rule him out on him costing a sizeable fee then I could undertsand it.  But to rule him out simply on other clubs possibly being more attractive than us to him, or alternatively just on his wages without even considering talking to him and his agent would be a bit silly.Who knows what Scott Parker may be looking for?  I can''t see him wanting to play in the Championship for long though.  He would be a quality addition to any side who has ambitions of challenging for a spot in the top ten or the top six in my opinion and this is what I hope that we are aiming for, rather than the tired mantra of 17th place being seen as the height of our ambitions like it was the last time we were promoted.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="CDMullins"]United - No

Chelsea - No

Arsenal - No

Man City - No

Liverpool - Doubtful

Spurs - Possible, Very Possible.[/quote]To sit on the bench and watch Modric?I don''t think any of the top teams will be interested.  Biggest club I could see him moving to would be somebody like Villa.[/quote]

Completly different players. Parker would compliment Modric very well.

Spurs wanted Adam in January, im sure they''d prefer Parker and less cost.

I would say Modric, Parker and Adam are all very similar players.Parker may go for cheaper than Adam does and I agree that Spurs could perhaps use such a player.  A lot to spend though and Parker not as good as Modric.  More chance of him getting a place in the Spurs team than the Everton team I would say though.Will be interesting to see who does sign him!

Jay Spearing of Liverpool?? Done excellently for them since Kenny came in.