Sign in to follow this  
Canarygeorge

22 seasons in the top flight.

This surprised me. Since our first season in the top flight, 1972-73, next season, 2011-12 will be our 22nd season in the top flight in those 39 seasons.

So 17 seasons we weren''t in the top flight out of the last 39 seasons.

I''ve supported Norwich since 1962, and never felt so excited about the summer incoming transfers, that may surprise many of us, but trust Paul Lambert and staff to get the best value for money and develop the players into a competitive squad that should surprise a few people next season.

I didn''t feel at all happy with the squad Worthy assembled last time we were there, but i''m sure we''ll be fine this time.

I agree with the comments and am optimistic for the future. There is a place in the premiership for clubs like Norwich, but to survive we traditionally have to bring players through and sell them on either through the youth system [ little optimism here] of through shrewd signing who are made into better players. Lambert seems to be an expert at this. The tension may come when we get a big bid at some stage for one of his signings. Time will tell

And Ricardo has seen them all.Plus 8 in Div 3Plus 27 in the second tier (Championship or Div 1/2)gotta be over 1000 games.A bit scary really.

Since I was born (1983) we have been in top flight 12 years. Although I only actually remember our last 4 years. 3 when Prem first started 2003-04.

Feels strange for only that few seasons

We have finished in the top half in 5 of our 21 seasons in the top division. What are the chances of making it 6 out of 22 next season? If I had to put money on it, I would go for 13th or 14th place, but looking at the way the last two seasons have exceeded initial expectations, I wouldn''t be totally surprised by a top half finish.

There was a time when it became taken for granted that Norwich were a top flight club, even when they got relegated you expected them to bounce straight back (which they did three times).

It would be great to get back to that sort of status again.

I was thinking something similar to this earlier... I started following the club in december 1991, Norwich have spent 5 seaons in the top flight in my supporting life. 1 in League 1, and 14 in the Championship!

[quote user="Canarygeorge"]This surprised me. Since our first season in the top flight, 1972-73, next season, 2011-12 will be our 22nd season in the top flight in those 39 seasons. So 17 seasons we weren''t in the top flight out of the last 39 seasons. I''ve supported Norwich since 1962, and never felt so excited about the summer incoming transfers, that may surprise many of us, but trust Paul Lambert and staff to get the best value for money and develop the players into a competitive squad that should surprise a few people next season. I didn''t feel at all happy with the squad Worthy assembled last time we were there, but i''m sure we''ll be fine this time.[/quote]

George, there''s those on here who won''t thank you for raising this subject.

Why? Because it shows that only 1 of our 22 seasons in the top flight have been under the current ownership structure - plus 15 of the last 17 seasons that we weren''t in the top flight.

We can only hope that the reforms of the past 2 years are thoroughly rooted and that lessons have been truly learnt. If so, I can agree with you that ''we''ll be fine this time''.

In Lambert, McNally and Bowkett we can trust for sure!

Come on you yellows!!

Yes I think many of us took it for granted just how good we were during our statistically best ever spell from 1986-04!

Seems crazy now that with such a good team we rarely got crowds over 18,000!

Shows that nowadays while the team isn''t as good as them days (something I think Lambert can possibly rectify!) the club itself is much bigger!