Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Anyone Else Getting Fed Up With The Suggestion.............

that we need a new goalkeeper?

People suggesting we should be signing Rob Green, Fraser Forster, Julien Speroni or Vincent Eneyema to compete with Ruddy or be his back up are rediculous.

Number 1. They are not required. Rudd as done nothing wrong and should be the one providing competition and providing cover.

Number 2. Non of the 4 mentioned goal keepers would be happy to come and provide cover.

Ruddy had a very consistant season and more than deserves a crack at the big league.

I think Ruddy should be Number 1.

However:-

1. Rudd has little League 1 / Championship experience, if he does get thrown in - its a bit of a risk!

2. When in Prem last time (which means nothing) but we had 4 GK''s, and I think most teams do.

3. If theres a injury to Ruddy, Steer goes onto bench - same as my point about Rudd being inexperienced. I can see Jed going on loan.

Ruddy is good enough for us next year, but we do need another keeper.Rudd is a good prospect, he has barely played a first team game and would rather have someone with experience. Remember what happened when Gunn broke his leg and we only had Marshall as cover? Imagine if Ruddy gets injured in warm up just before we play Man U at Old Trafford, would you be confident with 20 year Rudd with less than 10 first team appearances? Also Ruddy has no real competition for his place, he needs someone pushing him.Get a back up/competition in and let Rudd and Steer go on loan and get the much needed experience.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Ruddy is good enough for us next year, but we do need another keeper.Rudd is a good prospect, he has barely played a first team game and would rather have someone with experience. Remember what happened when Gunn broke his leg and we only had Marshall as cover? Imagine if Ruddy gets injured in warm up just before we play Man U at Old Trafford, would you be confident with 20 year Rudd with less than 10 first team appearances? Also Ruddy has no real competition for his place, he needs someone pushing him.Get a back up/competition in and let Rudd and Steer go on loan and get the much needed experience. [/quote]Nail, head, hit.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Ruddy is good enough for us next year, but we do need another keeper.

Rudd is a good prospect, he has barely played a first team game and would rather have someone with experience. Remember what happened when Gunn broke his leg and we only had Marshall as cover? Imagine if Ruddy gets injured in warm up just before we play Man U at Old Trafford, would you be confident with 20 year Rudd with less than 10 first team appearances? Also Ruddy has no real competition for his place, he needs someone pushing him.

Get a back up/competition in and let Rudd and Steer go on loan and get the much needed experience.
[/quote]

Speaking of Marshall....how about him as back up? Am I right in saying he is at Villa at the moment? Not sure when his contract runs out though. I know a lot of people wouldn''t even consider him, as he went to Ipswich, but I''ll always have a soft spot for him - he was my first favourite player and crush [:$]

[quote user="alysha"]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Ruddy is good enough for us next year, but we do need another keeper.

Rudd is a good prospect, he has barely played a first team game and would rather have someone with experience. Remember what happened when Gunn broke his leg and we only had Marshall as cover? Imagine if Ruddy gets injured in warm up just before we play Man U at Old Trafford, would you be confident with 20 year Rudd with less than 10 first team appearances? Also Ruddy has no real competition for his place, he needs someone pushing him.

Get a back up/competition in and let Rudd and Steer go on loan and get the much needed experience.
[/quote]

Speaking of Marshall....how about him as back up? Am I right in saying he is at Villa at the moment? Not sure when his contract runs out though. I know a lot of people wouldn''t even consider him, as he went to Ipswich, but I''ll always have a soft spot for him - he was my first favourite player and crush [:$]

[/quote]

NO NO NO Judas Judas Judas

[quote user="alysha"]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Ruddy is good enough for us next year, but we do need another keeper.Rudd is a good prospect, he has barely played a first team game and would rather have someone with experience. Remember what happened when Gunn broke his leg and we only had Marshall as cover? Imagine if Ruddy gets injured in warm up just before we play Man U at Old Trafford, would you be confident with 20 year Rudd with less than 10 first team appearances? Also Ruddy has no real competition for his place, he needs someone pushing him.Get a back up/competition in and let Rudd and Steer go on loan and get the much needed experience. [/quote]

[/quote]WHAT

For the older fans like myself:

Bryan Gunn - Forest, 1994 (?) - broken (and dislocated) ankle.

We were sixth (from memory) with Gunn and a talented young reserve keeper (Andy Marshall). Gunn out for the rest of the season. After a brilliant start, the young keeper struggles; loanee keepers also struggle to establish themselves. "Soft" goals given away. Relegated.

The need for a new keeper is not a reflection on Ruddy, who has done well. We cannot, however, afford the risk of going into our Premier league return with just one experienced keeper. It is only sensible to assume that Ruddy will get injured/ lose form (even if it is not the case) and think of what we do in the circumstances. In this case we need the best keeper we can afford - and if that means that both keep each other on their toes, so much the better.

In stating the need for a new keeper, people are not criticising Ruddy but recognising the importance of the position he occupies and the need for strength in depth.

The point I was trying to make, was that non of the 4 goalkeepers mentioned would be happy to come as ''cover'' for Ruddy.

We need a good young kid that is willing to wait, or a old experienced keeper that knows his best days are behind but he can still do a job.

I think that Ruddy is improving all the time, after early season wobbles and he is still young for a goalkeeper and ought to get better .

He still makes the occasional error, and while any goalkeeping error can be disastrous, I don''t think that his is the main blame for conceding so many goals. The reason for the goal loss is partly the diamond formation with attacking fullbacks and partly mistakes by defenders. In fact I would go as far as to suggest that his central defenders have made more goal-conceding mistakes than he has.

It may be possible to find an outstanding keeper who makes the kind of saves which Ruddy does but without the errors. If you know one, find Sir Alec, who will reward you suitably.

Ruddy will be number 1, but whether we need an experienced man on the bench, I am not sure. Money will not be that plentiful, and it mat be worth the risk of going with Rudd, etc.

I think we do need a new keeper to compete with Ruddy. He has improved a lot but for me still is not entirely convincing. I just think we let in too many goals/shots that should be saved/are not right in the corner and he''s not dominant enough in and around the six yard box. Some decent competition will do him good - personally I would go for Westwood from Cov who is on a free.

nope not getting fed up as I don''t think ruddy is premiership class.

Look at the goals we conceeded the amount that went under him that were half stopped. He also has no spring and looks like he is in wet cement on free kicks.

Defo improved as season went on but still not good enough.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I think we do need a new keeper to compete with Ruddy. He has improved a lot but for me still is not entirely convincing. I just think we let in too many goals/shots that should be saved/are not right in the corner and he''s not dominant enough in and around the six yard box. Some decent competition will do him good - personally I would go for Westwood from Cov who is on a free.[/quote]

---

I''m not sure Ruddy has actually improved that much, but otherwise I think that is spot on. Ruddy is a decent shot-stopper, although nowhere as good in that respect as Paddy Kenny, for example, or as good as Green was our last time round.

But shot-stopping is only the grandstanding bit of goalkeeping that gets noticed. The most important aspect is judgment (when to come for crosses etc) and particularly positional play. This is mainly why you can get good goalkeepers playing on up to or even into their forties. Because even if they are less agile than they used to be their judgment compensates for that.

And it''s there that Ruddy is lacking. If you get in the wrong position you either won''t be able to make the save, or it will be harder than it should have been. Hence letting in shots that are not right in the corner.

Two recent examples of lousy positional goalkeeping: Leicester''s second goal (which luckily didn''t cost us) when Ruddy is positioned too far back (actually on his goal-line) and has to put effort into diving forward as well as sideways and up. And this for a set-piece, when he had time to decide where to stand.

Secondly, Derby''s first goal, where he gets it so wrong he ends up moving towards his near post as a gentle header loops towards the far corner. In both cases if he''d got his postioning right he would have had a chance of making the save.

I''d rather put my mum in goal than see Andy Marshall back in a Norwich shirt!!!

In all seriousness though, I think we would need a keeper with experience to come in & help Ruddy develop next season as well as providing some solid cover in case of injury. Cudicini anyone?

Theres 2 options then, Sign a goalkeeper to be our Number 1.

or sign a goalkeeper to be cover.

Would I want Green or Forster to be our No.1 over Ruddy - No

Would they come and be cover - No

Competition for places is all very well, but realistically until Ruddy gets injured or drops into some seriously bad form he will start. Meaning whoever is our 2nd choice will need to be patient, I dont see Forster or Green been patient.

I completely agree with you, in regards to people saying let''s bring in Robert Green, Kieran Westwood etc.

We don''t need a new number 1, I do on the otherhand think we need someone with experience who can aid the young keepers progress and if injuries do hit is an able replacement.

Let''s look at Blackpool this season at one point had Gilks and Kingson injured and had Paul Rachubka in goal for a few months, that was just as they dropped form and ended up where they are now, so a second goalkeeper could be vital.

Plus I think Rudd and Steer need some first team football to aid there development aswell.

[quote user="CDMullins"]that we need a new goalkeeper?

People suggesting we should be signing Rob Green, Fraser Forster, Julien Speroni or Vincent Eneyema to compete with Ruddy or be his back up are rediculous.

Number 1. They are not required. Rudd as done nothing wrong and should be the one providing competition and providing cover.

Number 2. Non of the 4 mentioned goal keepers would be happy to come and provide cover.

Ruddy had a very consistant season and more than deserves a crack at the big league.[/quote]I must disagree.I feel we do need another keep. You say ''Ruddy had a very consistent season'' hes made more errors this season by a city keep then I can remember in over a decade. I back him! but he needs to improve. He''s still young so I am sure he will. And another keeper will keep him sharp!

Can you enlighten me to which errors?

And then also tell me Forster (with us last season and Celtic this season) Hasnt made any?

Same applies to Green (England, World Cup, West Ham) ?

Ruddy as made saves to make up for small errors, which in my book makes him consistant.

Everton friendly

Forest H

Derbys first goal

Leicester H first goal

Coventry second goal

Swansea third goal

There are a few that have gone right through him under his body

[quote user="CDMullins"]Can you enlighten me to which errors?

And then also tell me Forster (with us last season and Celtic this season) Hasnt made any?

Same applies to Green (England, World Cup, West Ham) ?

Ruddy as made saves to make up for small errors, which in my book makes him consistant.[/quote]Leicester at home Forest at home Swansea at home maybe one away at Watford. I may have that one wrong. Not forgetting the one at his near post against palace but that was half asku''s fault. Still should never have been beaten. There just a few off the top of my head. Its allot to do with him not be commanding enough. Not knowing when to come and when to stay!! I know I am not the only one who see''s it. And I don''t wanna think it. Of course I wanna see everyone a city shirt be fantastic.

I think some people are only mentioning ''Green wouldn’t want to be back up'', how about the fact that he''ll probably want 40 -60k a week riduclous!!!

I always have been a fan of Green he was a great keeper for us but that ship has sailed and unless he would want to drop his wages on a par with the rest of the squad and fight for his place then no thanks. I do believe we need competition for Ruddy though, Westwood is a good call or how about Matt Gilks.

I know he''s been linked with some of the bigger boys, but loved his time here even though he couldn''t get a game and would probably relish another crack at it. Also 28 so good age and available for free at end of season?

Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Ruddy is good enough for us next year, but we do need another keeper.

That would probable be the best route!

Robert Green - no thanks, on too much money and probably thinks hes above Norwich!

Fraser Forster, yes please!

Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Ruddy is good enough for us next year, but we do need another keeper.

That would probably be the best route!

Robert Green - no thanks, on too much money and probably thinks hes above Norwich!

Fraser Forster, yes please!

To be honest, I think the reason he has made mistakes. Especially at the start of the season is because he was already feeling pressure from the fans because of the whole Forster love affair with certain fans.

He already had is work cut out with a number of fans who never really gave him much of a chance.

He had a lot of pressure to deal with when he came in, Anyone who thinks he doesn''t deserve a chance is one of them Forster lovers because I don''t think Forster would have done much better this season. Even if he had done, we would be still looking for a permanent keeper.

I would be confident with Rudd in goal.

Yes he''s inexperienced etc but seeing him play when he has in the league i''ve been very impressed and would have no problem in him playing next season if Ruddy can''t.

As for Steer, yes he should be sent out on loan in my opinion but as Lambert said last year it''s all about finding a club that is prepared to take a risk on a 18/19 year old GK.

So out of the 58 goals weve conceeded (obviously scrapping the petty ''Everton friendly'') He has been at fault for 5 goals?

I could probably give you 5 goals Van Der Sar, Cech, Every Arsenal goalkeeper, have been at fault for!

What about Tomas Kuzcack from Man United??? I don''t think he''d cost too much or have stupidly high wages.

Having watched City for almost forty years I have to say that, Paul Gallagher aside, ruddy is the worst number one we have had.

Goalkeeping was our worst position last year and regardless of what we think I am 100% certain that the only man who matters will address this during the next few weeks.