Sign in to follow this  
youngriles

Names on shirts

With the never ending soap opera regarding our new kit makers and what it looks like surely coming to an end soon, my wife and I engaged in a debate that I am sure many have before us...

Which is sadder, ones own name on back of their replica kit, or ones favourite player?!

I feel that if you are an adult having your favourite player on the back of your shirt can be a bit dubious, and my wife feels that is having your own can be a bit make believe...

What does everyone else think?

of course this debate came about when I pronounced I will be buying the shirt, and getting PREMIER LEAGUE badges and number ;-)

Which brings up a sub discussion, what are the funniest/most unusual nicknames (I think nicknames are possibly an even worse offence than the afforementioned...) or statements you have seen on the back of a NCFC shirt around FCR??

I think it depends on how much you (personally) value a player.I loved Hucks when he was here, thought he was a brilliant player and so I didnt hesitate to get his name on the back.This season is different for me though. I think Holty, Wessi and the other lads are brilliant- don''t get me wrong but I''m at an age where I dont feel it''s appropriate for me to get a players name.Might just get ''Lambo''s green army'' and leave it at that!

I made a post about this topic this time last summer. My mate things it''s more childish to get a favourite player on the back and I think it''s worse to get your own name on the back. Some posters suggested I grow some balls and get what I want and I think they were right. Doesn''t matter if it looks childish or whatever just get your name or a favourite player if you want, it''s your money. But yeah I didn''t get a name on the back in the end haha.

I nearly always get a name on the back of my shirt and i''m 28. From the likes of Sutton, Ashley Ward, Eadie, Roberts, Drury, Huckerby, Ashton and Holt most recently.

I dont care what anyone else thinks, pretty much everyone has a fav player whether your 8 or 80. Just some people prefer to show it.

Never had my own name on the back, Exodus 9 would, in my opinion look pretty carp...

Who knows what I''ll go for, I''ll just live in the moment!

I like it on the odd occasion you see someone get a players name before they''ve played for the club...

There must be someone out there with HELVEG 2?!

Ive got LARGEY 24 on the back of two of my shirts. Largey as it''s my nickname and 24 is my birthday number and lucky number. I like it as I wear them to play football and therefore it''s a bit of a fantasy should I ever step out onto the Carrow Road pitch wearing my kit (which I will be doing in two weeks!)

I always got my favourite players number with my name!

Although I think i''d just get the top now, unless we sign a player beginning with Z ill get him on the back however kak he is!

It''s everyones personal preference and people shouldn''t be criticised for it, I never have anything on the back of mine.

players names on shirts are ok until that player leaves.. also, you look a bit of a plonker if that player leaves under a cloud and you still have his name on your shirt.

I have my surname and the year I was born (87) on the back

Sad or not, I don''t really care :P I''d rather have my name than a players name. Just in case they turn into a judas or something lol.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]players names on shirts are ok until that player leaves.. also, you look a bit of a plonker if that player leaves under a cloud and you still have his name on your shirt.[/quote]

Damien Francis, for example.

It never crossed my mind that it maybe deemed sad for an adult to have a players name on the back of their shirt. That said, I am very dense. Oh well, each time you buy a shirt with *insert favourite players name on the back*, at least you''re probably treating said player to an extra pint or two...

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]The [:S] was supposed to be [;)].  Ahem...[/quote]LOL

The original emoticon was better, Humphrey!

It''s risky adding a player name unless he is a scrub no other team will come searching for because that shirt becomes obsolete when our best are sold, which is what we always have (almost) done.

As for how sad does it make one look, I think ponying up the money for a players name shows extra devotion because of the reason I mentioned above. Also, having your own name on a shirt can lead to confusion for fans not so familiar with the team, such as opponents'' drunken mobs who may target you for abuse because you wasted money on some guy who;s not even on the bench.

Seriously, I don''t think one is better or worse than the other, but this is from a guy who wears his NCFC shirt on game days with the flybe.com on the front. You can get away with such things here! :)

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]I want to have Lambert on my shirt

BUT

I''m terrified of him doing an Owen Coyle on us in November (but to Villa!).[/quote]

I wanted to do the same, and thought maybe if I made a donation to a charity of their choice, ask the club if they could get it signed for me. Not sure if they''d do that though. Would be great to frame and put on the wall.

I''d feel Villa would appeal though sadly, I can see him wanting to better his idol...

I have my name on the back and the number I had when I used to play for my local team. Some people see it as sad, I think it looks quite cool. I don''t think people should be criticised for what they have, they paid the money for the shirt/print, let them enjoy it. :)

I''ll probably get a players name on next season''s shirt just because of the Premier League lettering!

Agreed Mr Bump- Premier League lettering, not every year that happens. I prefer flair players, that no-one else really gets. Got Cureton & fancied Lappin this season but never got round to it.

I''ve been wearing a shirt with Lappin on the back - it used to be his - for over 2 seasons.

However I think it is time I lashed out on a new Prem one, so Lappin''s beautiful No 19 shirt may be retired. Hope this isn''t an omen!