Sign in to follow this  
Cambridge yellow

The Sunday Times rich list

Even taking into account how far out they are / make up it does make interesting reading. Section in the middle football only and list the owners of clups in all the leagues. Suffice to say Delia and co dont even get in them.

Shows what a top manager can do against an ordinary one with pots of cash ?

Some the money that they players are '' on '' makes me want to puke for what they do , Rooney being my main hate.

I think it was on Football Weekly they were talking about the rise of Napoli in Serie A. Their first 11 is on less than Ibrahimovic put together. Madness, but just goes to show even in a top league a cohesive team of good players can match a team full of individual superstars.

Bring on a wage cap.  There is a consensus amongst many lower level Prem teams, including Wigan, that the maximum should be 20K a week. It makes perfect sense, and will make the Prem more competitive. It''s only a matter of time IMO.

[quote user="paul moy"]Bring on a wage cap.  There is a consensus amongst many lower level Prem teams, including Wigan, that the maximum should be 20K a week. It makes perfect sense, and will make the Prem more competitive. It''s only a matter of time IMO.[/quote]

The real issue here is FIFA and the FA. The FA will never introduce a wage cap whilst clubs around Europe etc are able to offer more money. The premiership simply wouldn''t be able to attract and retain the top players.

In many ways a wage cap similar to the states should be in place where there is a wage cap in place with one exception allowed per team - this exception is for a ''star player''. This means that players will attempt to attract the title of ''star player'' whether it be home grown or bought in, so they can earn more money.

I think staggered going down the leagues would be good as well.

Good points, Chicken. The fact is though that the status quo is unsustainable, and FIFA have realised this and have made the first move in bring in Financial Fair Play from 2013. A wage cap, I feel, will inevitably follow.  

Extending the UEFA financial fair play rule that you have to make a profit to every premier and league club would act as a wage cap and make the premier league more interesting and still very competitive with the rest of Europe as it recieves more TV money than other leagues. Given that the rule applies to European competition it makes sense it is extended down the league.

[quote user="paul moy"]Good points, Chicken. The fact is though that the status quo is unsustainable, and FIFA have realised this and have made the first move in bring in Financial Fair Play from 2013. A wage cap, I feel, will inevitably follow.  [/quote]I''m not so sure about a wage cap- I think too many influencial people in the FA have their snouts in the trough and will resist. If their hands are forced by FIFA /UEFA that''s a different matter I suppose.The more I hear about the excesses of the PL the more I get convinced something is necessary. Take a look at West Ham''s payroll at [url]www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/west-ham/7683270/West-Hams-wage-bill-in-full.html[/url]. Old news I know (from a year ago) but £83k a week for a sicknote ex-binner [:O]. And a million a month for Yaya Toure??[:O][:O][:O][:O]Mind you our supposed target Zavon Hines looks compartively good value.

[quote user="paul moy"]Good points, Chicken. The fact is though that the status quo is unsustainable, and FIFA have realised this and have made the first move in bring in Financial Fair Play from 2013. A wage cap, I feel, will inevitably follow.  [/quote]Financial Fair Play (from what I understand) plays right into the big clubs hands by restricting what an outside investor can place in the club (the investor can place an amount equal to the clubs annual turnover). This means clubs like Man UTD and Barcelona with very large turnovers get an increased stranglehold on their positions as it means upstart clubs backed by a big investor cannot match them.

Kieron Dyer on 83K a week is simply astounding, particularly as he was also a renowned sick-note at his previous club, Newcastle. Commonsense should have steered West Ham away from this stupid deal.....  ''Pay for play''  is the way to go for players with horrendous injury records, such as Dyer. Owen etc, and if they won''t agree to it, don''t sign them!! ..... LOL   

I think the UEFA rules are on roughly the right track, A wage cap linked to turnover is probably the fairest way to proceed. OK big teams will still be able to get better players, but they will be tempered, and smaller teams will stop risking their existence just to stay in the Premiership. Also need reforms to the loan system to stop big clubs hoarding all the promising young players.

[quote user="Mahogany"]I think the UEFA rules are on roughly the right track, A wage cap linked to turnover is probably the fairest way to proceed. OK big teams will still be able to get better players, but they will be tempered, and smaller teams will stop risking their existence just to stay in the Premiership. Also need reforms to the loan system to stop big clubs hoarding all the promising young players.[/quote]Not a wage cap. It just limits the amount of outside investment someone can place in the club. Clubs can still spend horrendous amounts of money on wages as long as they do not go over the annual limits. The idea is that it stops clubs with rich owners i.e. Man City just buying a title but it still allows clubs with high turnovers to spend whatever the hell they like meaning it''s even more unfair on smaller clubs.

Yeah, but a cap linked to earnings would at least put an end to the crazy ownership stuff. For me Man U etc shouldn''t be forced to spend as little as Wigan, as long as they are spending money they''ve earned from football. Limit everyone to spending say 70% of turnover on wages. There''s always going to be big and small clubs, but at the moment both types are spending beyond their means.

I agree that financial fair play would benefit the naturally big clubs ManU, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool but also NCFC as most clubs in the premiership have wealthier owners/benefactors eg Chelsea, ManCity, Bolton, Stoke, Fulham, Blackburn, Birmingham, West Ham, QPR, Sunderland; Newcastle, Villa, Wigan, etc making it very difficult for NCFC and other Championship clubs to compete