Sign in to follow this  
Archie

Who is going to be the next Charlie Adam?

And by that I mean the Charlie Adam of the first half of the season, with everyone clamouring after him in January.Fox or Hoolahan? I reckon Hoolahan

The hype over Charlie Adam is another example of the media''s inability to understand that football is a team game. In our celebrity-obsessed culture, they have to look to an individual, a "star" player, to explain any team successes. While Adam is undoubtedly a good player, he didn''t propel Blackpool to the top half of the table during early season all by himself - there were some other players involved as well!It is noticeable how Paul Lambert always stresses "the team" when talking about Norwich City, and even when asked about himself ,  he talks about the management as a team. Contrast this to Cardiff, who signed a load of so-called star players, and assumed they simply had to turn up to win games. Looking at their notice boards, some of their supporters still can''t understand how they failed to walk away with the Championship.

It is no surprise to me that ever since Charlie Adam rose to fame, Blackpool lost what was winning them all those hard games - a good team work ethic as a group, with no stand out superstars. Now the team has a big time ''Charlie'' whom Holloway has not managed to remain grounded, and therefore it''s no coincidence where things are going wrong now. Overall, it seems to me that Holloways made a mistake in trying to keep him. Unhappy players aren''t good for a club, no matter how good the player in question may be.

The Blackpool/Charlie Adam thing is a prime example of why Lambert goes for whom he does, and lets anyone thats unhappy go, he realises the importance of having all his players grounded and on a level field.

Very harsh on Charlie Adam, I dont think he has been a ''Big Time Charlie'' or had a dip in form since his move didnt come off.

Everything Blackpool have done well since their slump as still revolved around Charlie Adam.

And they would certainally be worse off had they have sold him.

[quote user="Alex"]It is no surprise to me that ever since Charlie Adam rose to fame, Blackpool lost what was winning them all those hard games - a good team work ethic as a group, with no stand out superstars. Now the team has a big time ''Charlie'' whom Holloway has not managed to remain grounded, and therefore it''s no coincidence where things are going wrong now. Overall, it seems to me that Holloways made a mistake in trying to keep him. Unhappy players aren''t good for a club, no matter how good the player in question may be. The Blackpool/Charlie Adam thing is a prime example of why Lambert goes for whom he does, and lets anyone thats unhappy go, he realises the importance of having all his players grounded and on a level field.[/quote]

Gave me food for thought Alex. Theres a lot in what you say. Makes you realise how difficult a job this management is 

I acutally think a lot of our player will suit to the Premier League better.

Fox, Wes and I reckon Pacheco if he was to stay. I think you get more time on the ball then you do in the Championship. Not saying it will for against the Stoke''s and Bolton''s but most teams I think will be more suited to us. The way we play with the fullbacks bombing forward I think some teams will be surprised and not sure how to defend it.

I think Fox will be even better next year, when he has time he can pass better then most players. I hope he picks up abit more credit next year.

Tempted to have him on next years shirt.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Very harsh on Charlie Adam, I dont think he has been a ''Big Time Charlie'' or had a dip in form since his move didnt come off. Everything Blackpool have done well since their slump as still revolved around Charlie Adam. And they would certainally be worse off had they have sold him.[/quote]

I pretty much agree.

Holloway has brought in players and made changes that haven''t worked out but the Charlie Adam thing will make for a nice excuse.

Holloway himself made reference to Adam''s loss of form following the media speculation over his future in one of his post-match interviews on MOTD some time ago...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Fox is probably a more similar player to Charlie Adam anyway, although probably not the same level of ability.[/quote]

You''re right there. Fox is much better!

[quote user="Alex"]It is no surprise to me that ever since Charlie Adam rose to fame, Blackpool lost what was winning them all those hard games - a good team work ethic as a group, with no stand out superstars. Now the team has a big time ''Charlie'' whom Holloway has not managed to remain grounded, and therefore it''s no coincidence where things are going wrong now. Overall, it seems to me that Holloways made a mistake in trying to keep him. Unhappy players aren''t good for a club, no matter how good the player in question may be. The Blackpool/Charlie Adam thing is a prime example of why Lambert goes for whom he does, and lets anyone thats unhappy go, he realises the importance of having all his players grounded and on a level field.[/quote]

completley agree Alex

The Charlie Adam thing is interesting as it reported that he was pretty p*ssed off when the move to Liverpool fell through. Holloway then went to great lengths to tell everyone that there would be no problems with Adam and that he had been his usual self in training and matches. Then as Blackpool started to lose form (which would have probably happened without the Adam transfer speculation) the rumours about his attitude started again and Holloway seemed less keen to stick up for him. Then Alan Shearer made his remark about Adam losing his chance to play for a big club (which was ridiculous IMO as he is only 25) and Adam seemed keen to prove him wrong. The whole episode came to a predicably ridiculous end on Saturday when a player who was desperate to leave the club in January indulged in a spot of badge kissing (or at least badge pointing) after scoring.

What can we learn from this? No idea [:D]

[quote user="CDMullins"]Very harsh on Charlie Adam, I dont think he has been a ''Big Time Charlie'' or had a dip in form since his move didnt come off.

Everything Blackpool have done well since their slump as still revolved around Charlie Adam.

And they would certainally be worse off had they have sold him.[/quote]

(Cheers Alysha)

Chris, Blackpool were/are never a one man team and have a fair few players reportedly being looked at by other teams higher in the division, to suggest it''s all down to purely Charlie Adam is an insult to all the other men on the pitch and in the dugout. You would surely realise that if you watched plenty of them this season (as I have thanks to the wonders of Greek Nova). They have many good players, whom it appears play at their best as a ''together'' unit, and are all vital cogs in the wheel - Something we may all recognise from closer to home. The lad threw his toys out of the pram and it was widely reported that after the Liverpool move fell through (albeit temporarily?), he was at Tottenham at the last minute trying to secure a move there. Even his father started sticking his oar in, and there then became a wee bit of mud slinging between Adam, Holloway and Mr Oster, oh and Adam''s father. For me it is of no coincidence that Blackpool have not been *quite* the same side since this, and neither has Adam been *quite* the same. All that unsavoury business clearly did nothing for team moral, and Blackpool as a united team were what were successful before all this handing in a transfer request business came about. He''s upset the applecart, it''s there for all to see, even if he''s turning out the odd good performance. But ask Lambert, I''m sure he''ll be the first to say that it''s a team game, and if you''re all playing your heart out for each other, the manager and the fans, good things can be achieved. And I agree with Shack - What was all that rubbish kissing the badge in front of the supporters against Tottenham, smacked of insincerity to me given his very public desire to leave recently.

Blackpool had a very good start, much like Hull did a couple of years ago. but it was inevitable their form and results would dip, regardless of transfer speculation and they probably will be relegated.

You cant say "to suggest it''s all down to purely Charlie Adam is an insult to all the other men on the pitch" and then say " it is of no coincidence that Blackpool have not been *quite* the same side since this"

You cant have it both ways. Blackpool are obviously a better side with Adam in it. He as won them vital points (aswell as thrown some away with little errors.) He is a big fish in a small pond and has stood out head and shoulders above the rest of the squad, I think the fact that Tottenham and Liverpool were seriously interested in him proves this.

I dont think any of the players would have begrudged Adam a move to a big club, and I believe the lads will have been chuffed that he was staying.

I remember watching an interview with at the time the speculation about his future was intense and he seemed like a genuine straight up guy. I honestly dont think his form as dipped, he is still involved in everything good that Blackpool do.

Though I''ll admit I did cringe when he gave the whole tapping/pulling the badge against Spurs.

[quote user="CDMullins"]You cant say "to suggest it''s all down to purely Charlie Adam is an insult to all the other men on the pitch" and then say " it is of no coincidence that Blackpool have not been *quite* the same side since this"

You cant have it both ways. Blackpool are obviously a better side with Adam in it. He as won them vital points (aswell as thrown some away with little errors.) He is a big fish in a small pond.... [/quote]

Chris, that is not what I was saying at all so you perhaps need to read it in a different way ;)

As you say yourself, ''Big fish in a little pond''. Yes, once he became that, that''s when everything started going wrong for Blackpool. Coincidence? I think not...

Alex, What do you think to Adams chances of getting a big move in the summer?

Personally I cant see Liverpool, Spurs wanting him.

Also I cant see anyone offering the £8 Million that was quoted in January.

He may have to settle for a Villa/Newcastle and Blackpool will have to settle for £3/4 Million.

I`ve been saying for a while now that one of the most positive things we`ve got going for us is that our two standout players (Hooly+Holt) are 29 and 30 therefore will not attract a bid big enough for us to even consider selling. However as neither have ever relied on pace i think both are at their peak. I really can`t see us having a "star" player next season and i think it will suit us as we`ll be under the radar again and be a strong unit. I can honestly see the basis of our first-team squad being much the same for several years to come.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Alex, What do you think to Adams chances of getting a big move in the summer?

Personally I cant see Liverpool, Spurs wanting him.

Also I cant see anyone offering the £8 Million that was quoted in January.

He may have to settle for a Villa/Newcastle and Blackpool will have to settle for £3/4 Million.[/quote]

I would be inclined to agree with you, CD. I think he''ll get his move irrespective of whether they go down or stay up, but I don''t think Blackpool will get the money they wanted for him, or indeed what they were allegedly offered initially. On a slightly different note, I hope Blackpool stay up though - Have been really impressed with them overall this season. And who knows - all 3 clubs that went up to the Prem last year, may actually stay up this season.... Which would totally blow a rather well known myth out of the water ;)