Sign in to follow this  
Block Y Seat 176

Giant canary in the crowd

Just come back from Turkey and noticed that Fenerbahce have an affinity to our little mascot as well.

Killer Canary anyone?

http://www.totalfootballforums.com/forums/topic/47734-the-story-behind-fenerbahces-mascot-the-yellow-canary/

H

As far as I know apart from us there are 4 other  Clubs with the Canaries nickname:Nantes  (France)Fenerbahce  (Turkey)St. Truiden (Belguim)Novi Sad  (Serbia & Montenegro)

[quote user="haisbrohacker"]What is the connection between a lemur and Norfolk, i would have preferred Andrew the Aardvark if we were going exotic.

H[/quote]It rhymes with Aviva, I would have prefered the Aviva Beaver myself. [:)]

[quote user="Harry"]As far as I know apart from us there are 4 other  Clubs with the Canaries nickname:Nantes  (France)Fenerbahce  (Turkey)St. Truiden (Belguim)Novi Sad  (Serbia & Montenegro)

[/quote]

Is that solely because they have yellow shirts? - whereas we have the Norwich canary breed.

[quote user="haisbrohacker"]What is the connection between a lemur and Norfolk, i would have preferred Andrew the Aardvark if we were going exotic.

H[/quote]Aviva ran a competition for the kids to design a new mascot for NCFC shortly after they became our sponsors, the winning design was the Aviva Lemur.

Fener is due to a keeper they had from 1939 to 1952 who had a preference for bright yellow shirts and earned the nickname the flying canary due to his athletic saves and yellow jersey.

[quote user="Harry"]As far as I know apart from us there are 4 other  Clubs with the Canaries nickname:

Nantes  (France)

Fenerbahce  (Turkey)

St. Truiden (Belguim)

Novi Sad  (Serbia & Montenegro)

[/quote]

Harry - you can add LSK Lillestrom (Norway) to that list.  I have it on good authority from my good friend Jorgen who is one of their staunchest supporters that they directly poached their ''Canaries'' nickname from our own good selves.