Sign in to follow this  
O.T.B.C

The more I see of Long..

[quote user="Hannibal"]

Liverpool are after Shane Long so i think we can rule that one out. For me the pick of the bunch from the Chump would be the following any of which i''d be more than happy with.

Maynard - Bristol

Williams, Sinclair - Swansea

Whittingham - Cardiff

Snodgrass - Leeds

McGugan - Forest

Don Cowie, Graham - Watford

[/quote]

Based on one newspaper report. I can''t understand why Liverpool would want Long. If they have their sites set on the top 4 or even challenging for the title next season they would need to improve the quality of their transfer targets. But I reckon that''s all tosh and they don''t want him.

Other suggestions you have made there are very good [:)] would take any of them at Norwich. Snodgrass has always impressed me whenever I have seen him. But would really love to see Long at Norwich [Y]

The thing that amazes me about all this "let''s get him" and "why not bid for him" about players from teams that will fail to get promoted through the play offs is this. WHY would we want to bid for players who are in teams that didn''t make it to replace OUR players from OUR team who were (unnoticed by some out there) the same players who were good enough to actually ACHIEVE promotion at the first time of asking?

I bet that the said players are loving reading this. They''ve just achieved an amazing feat and their own fans can''t wait to ship them out for a Boothroyd or a Chopra, a Long or a Kebe etc etc. Yeah, thanks Jacko, Chrissy and all for getting us there and earning the right to play in the big time, but after 2 consecutive promotions we don''t think that you quite cut the mustard so we want to get someone else in who actually couldn''t do what you''ve just done! Bravo!!

Its about strength in depth. Even Lambert says the current squad will ''need help''. He said it last season also.

These players that are mentioned are good individual players, but haven''t been in the right TEAM. Danny Graham is top scorer but his team haven''t got to the top 6. Wherever Watford finished (Cant be bothered to look it up but say it was 9th) it doesn''t mean Graham was the 9th best striker in the Div.

VERY GOOD players but only in GOOD teams

Those questioning Danny Graham clearly did not go to the games against Watford this season. At Vicarage Road he looked a real threat and pulled our defence all over the place in the first half. he would be a decent signing. As would Long who seems to me to have many similar attributes to Holt. Holt and Long would be a real nightmare for centrebacks to play against as they would not get a minutes peace!

We won''t buy from abroad.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

We won''t buy from abroad.

[/quote]

I hope we do, the Premier League has more in similar to European style football now than it does to the Championship. It might be getting to the stage where the style of football is easier to adapt to for continental players than British lower league players.

I''m not 100% sure about Long, many Reading fans say he is still hugely inconsistant and wonder if this season is a bit of a one off, he is obviously a good player - but his asking price could get stupidly high as I''m sure all the promoted clubs will be looking at him, along with most teams currently in the bottom half of the Premier League. I wouldn''t want Norwich to end out spending around £4m - £5m for him.

Long is 5''11", so I don''t know why some are calling him ''vertically challenged''. My concern involves the risk of paying top price for Long or Graham. Both have had a good season, but their records before that are less impressive. Whoever it is needs to be a good fit tempermentally with the present squad and either Long or Graham would be that, IMO. 

Everyone is vertically challenged to me as I am 6'' 6"!!

What I meant was in striker terms he''s considered a shorty (Jackson type) as opposed to a biggy (Holt type)

BTW I did go the Watford home game and I stand by what I said that Graham is a good player, but I would much prefer Long if there was a choice between the two

[quote user="Scooby"]The thing that amazes me about all this "let''s get him" and "why not bid for him" about players from teams that will fail to get promoted through the play offs is this. WHY would we want to bid for players who are in teams that didn''t make it to replace OUR players from OUR team who were (unnoticed by some out there) the same players who were good enough to actually ACHIEVE promotion at the first time of asking?

I bet that the said players are loving reading this. They''ve just achieved an amazing feat and their own fans can''t wait to ship them out for a Boothroyd or a Chopra, a Long or a Kebe etc etc. Yeah, thanks Jacko, Chrissy and all for getting us there and earning the right to play in the big time, but after 2 consecutive promotions we don''t think that you quite cut the mustard so we want to get someone else in who actually couldn''t do what you''ve just done! Bravo!![/quote]Alright Nigel you had you shot! Shouldn''t you be busy sorting out Northern Ireland.... [:P]Jokes aside, no one is being replaced, but to think we dont need to add depth and qaulity is madness. Just because said player weren''t in promotion teams doesnt mean they arnt good enough. I mean for example Jackson was part of a team that got relegated and replaced Martin who was part of a squad who got promoted.Also the more you look at it the more you realise the whole ''double promotion'' starting 11 is abit of a myth.... Holt, hoolahan and R. Martin left on the last day of this season right? Every step up requires a senseble number of additions to furtherr add quality.

Scooby, do we not by any player from a team that is below us or not as good as they are clearly not good enough? Codswallop, there are many standout players in the Chump who would make our team better and that is the goal, we have to be better in the Prem.

He is playing himself out of our league now, he will go to a bigger team if Reading fail to win. Not saying we are not a big team, but he will go to a team who will pay more money.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Long is 5''11", so I don''t know why some are calling him ''vertically challenged''. My concern involves the risk of paying top price for Long or Graham. Both have had a good season, but their records before that are less impressive. Whoever it is needs to be a good fit tempermentally with the present squad and either Long or Graham would be that, IMO. [/quote]

Other sources have him shorter than 5'' 11" and he doesn''t look that tall either.

Graham has proved himself at Championship level - two (not one) seasons of goalscoring. Prem class who knows?

Looks a similar player to Jackson, maybe a bit better but I don''t think we need 2 very similar forwards. WE have an old fashioned CF in Holt, a quick play off the shoulder striker in Jackson. Need something a bit different to go with them, think Borini would be a better fit than Long, a real cultured forward.

I''d personally love to see Shane Long in a Norwich shirt but after tonight i think it''s a Long shot if you pardon the pun .

I''ve longed for Long for a long time but after tonight I would think Long is long gone.

[quote user="paul moy"]Blimey, they were Long odds.... [:#][/quote]

Didn''t have to wait long to land that bet.