Sign in to follow this  
O.T.B.C

The more I see of Long..

The more I think we should go for it big style and hope that Reading don''t get promoted and no other big teams in for him. In fact, go all out and get Graham and Maynard, then we would have a real strong line up, which would be able to compete in this league. Keep Holt and Jacko and loan or sell Cody, sell Wilba, Loan Martin and Johnson for a year too, to see how they develop.

What ya reckon?

I look at the PLay-Off teams and would have players from all.

Forest: Mcgugen, Chambers and Morgan

Cardif: Whittingham and Bellamy

Swansea: Sinclair, Williams, Joe Walsh and Nathan Dyer.

Shane Long would look great in yellow! He''s a Norwich-type player if ever I saw one...

That Kebe''s an odd shape for a right winger isn''t he? When he ran out at Carrow Road, I laughed with my son and said he looked more like an Ethiopian long-distance runner. Then he rode that Elliott Ward ''tackle'' and crossed for Long to net the ball.

I changed my opinion at that point!

I would rather have Nugent or Graham over Long any day of the week.  I would take Kebe though.  Do you reckon if Cardiff don''t go up Chopra or Wittingham might be worth a punt?

I was a fan of Long but I''m not so sure now....he had a quiet game against Leeds away recently and I wonder how he did tonight?

Nugent hasn''t really made it in his previous Prem appearances.

Graham - unknown quantity at Prem level.

Chopra hasn''t been a hit at Prem level either.

Its difficult coming up with good targets.

Long and Holt upfront next year? Yes please!

Would absolutely love to see either Long or Graham in a Norwich shirt next year. Think Graham is more likely as don''t think that Watford can afford to reject a big(gish) offer for him. Maybe £2.5mill + would be enough

I love all the speculation guys and can''t wait for the signings to start, but couldn''t second guess PL''s targets in the Championship so I think we are going to be similarly surprised for the next term.

I don''t get all the fuss about Graham though when compared with Long. Yes I know he''s top scorer and yes he''s done it in whilst not playing for a top 6 Club, he''s quite a good player, but when you compare him with Long, (international striker), he doesn''t match up imo.

Long is about the best striker in that div (not playing for us!) who can create something for himself, he is one of the best jumpers (for a vertically challenged type person), and is a deadly finisher. Graham, to me, doesn''t look like he can offer anything special in the Prem.

Crabby just nailed it on the head - was about to post exactly that. Anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to look at their all round games more closely. Long last night was requiring a tad better service, but every time he got the ball, you could see the Cardiff defence panic.

By the way as an aside - what a petulant, spoilt, overpaid primadonna Bothroyd is. When the chips are down, he never has a good game and goes looking for fouls and complains all game if he doesn''t get one decision going his way. I would rather go with anyone up front than Bothroyd even if we got him on a free. The best players shine in the big matches (Holt derby hattrick?). The ones with a bad attitude go walkabout - Bothroyd is in the latter category.

Crabby and Muddy F, agree.

Bothroyd has over achieved, seriius attitude problem and, if he was a serious striker, never mind an England one, he''d have a couple of hundred games behind him in the Prem now, not still be scratching around at Cardiff.

Long is quality, but out of our price range-or certainly what we''d be prepared to pay. Reading are comparatively well off and won''t be prone to "cheeky bids if they don''t go up" -and, for many players who we might be interested in like him, there will always be a Wolves, an Everton, Sunderland, Fulham or Blackburn looking at him as well.

I don''t agree with that. Danny Graham works hard for team and contributes with his fair share of assists, (9) this season. This stacks up well against Shane Long who has 10. Although none of them can touch Holty with 14. The other thing I like about Graham is that he has been very consistent over a decent period of time. With 81 goals in his last 211 games (admittedly 2 of those seasons were spent in league 1). However he still fits the prototype of being young and hungry. In comparison this the first season where Long has broken into double figures. But I wouldnt complain if either joined!

i agree long looks a quality player heading for the premiership with or without reading love to have him here

I agree that Long would be out of our price range or should I say budget.  Not that we couldn''t afford him, but that we wouldn''t spend £5m or more on Long.  If anything Lambert would think he could get better value elsewhere. 

Two players who would be in our budget are Evans and Sharp.  I''d much rather have the latter, but how would he fair in the Premiership?  But could you not say that about all of our current squad and any potential signings within our budget?

To sign a forward who will guarantee you goals in the Premier League will cost mega money.

I think Lambert will look down the leagues and may consider a Billy Sharp type.  But as other teams in our situation in the Premiership without money to burn have found, would we not get better value by looking abroad?

Liverpool are after Shane Long so i think we can rule that one out. For me the pick of the bunch from the Chump would be the following any of which i''d be more than happy with.

Maynard - Bristol

Williams, Sinclair - Swansea

Whittingham - Cardiff

Snodgrass - Leeds

McGugan - Forest

Don Cowie, Graham - Watford

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]Indeed. I was watching the game tonight and was thinking the same as you. Quick, skilful, great in the air for his height, and he certainly knows where the goal is.
[/quote]

Nil ni......says it all really.  [:S]

[quote user="crabbycanary"]I don''t get all the fuss about Graham though when compared with Long. Yes I know he''s top scorer and yes he''s done it in whilst not playing for a top 6 Club, he''s quite a good player, but when you compare him with Long, (international striker), he doesn''t match up imo.

Long is about the best striker in that div (not playing for us!) who can create something for himself, he is one of the best jumpers (for a vertically challenged type person), and is a deadly finisher. Graham, to me, doesn''t look like he can offer anything special in the Prem.[/quote]Your right. Danny Graham = one season wonder as far as I can see, and he is 27 (wheres he been all this time?).

[quote user="crabbycanary"]I don''t get all the fuss about Graham though when compared with Long. Yes I know he''s top scorer and yes he''s done it in whilst not playing for a top 6 Club, he''s quite a good player, but when you compare him with Long, (international striker), he doesn''t match up imo.

Long is about the best striker in that div (not playing for us!) who can create something for himself, he is one of the best jumpers (for a vertically challenged type person), and is a deadly finisher. Graham, to me, doesn''t look like he can offer anything special in the Prem.[/quote]Your right. Danny Graham = one season wonder as far as I can see, and he is 27 (wheres he been all this time?).

agree about maynard would cost a good £5m but easily one of the best players in the championship, would be perfect

Wiz, just because it was a goalless draw, doesn''t mean the strikers, or in fact anyone doesn''t play well. Long held the ball up, had decent pace and worked really hard off the ball, he jumped well and was a nuisance. He didn''t get too much service.

Like I said above, there are many good strikers in this league, he is one of them who would make the step up. I would add Morison and Graham to that list. Someone mentioned Gradel above, he has become one of the best players in this league, last year he looked ok, but has moved his game on.