Sign in to follow this  
Captain Fantastic

Lazy, lazy journalism!

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2011/05/15/tonight-the-for-sale-signs-go-up-across-upton-park-its-a-fire-sale-for-whoever-fancies-a-premier-league-player-or-two/

"That Norwich are in the market for a keeper is hardly a state secret. With John Ruddy heading back to Everton this summer after his year-long loan spell, Norwich are left with just the two ‘kids’ in the shape of the home-grown talents of Declan Rudd and Jed Steer."

Do people actually know a thing about Norwich?

Not so much lazy as incompetent.Still, we shouldn''t be surprised.

"Oh wow......... is there not some kind of quality control to prevent this ?"

Yes

Be a bit more selective in where you source your information

ie if you put your head down the toilet don''t be surprised if you see a few turds floating about

Think that''s bad? According to L''Equipe we are a team from the West Country!

Après six ans d''absence, Norwich a été promu en Premier League à la faveur de sa victoire contre Portsmouth (1-0) lors de l''avant-dernière journée du Championship. L''équipe de l''ouest de l''Angleterre rejoint les Queens Park Rangers, qui avaient obtenu leur billet pour l''élite, samedi.

Waghorn''s departure from Archant, for me, signalled the start of better times for the sports coverage there.  Lakey may be the spitting image of Waghorn, but he''s by far a more accomplished and entertaining journalist, and the addition of the likes of Paddy and Michael Bailey have been a shot in the arm.  Its by no means perfect, but its far better than it was.

The whole thing seemed like a one-man ego trip during Waghorn''s tenure and I was personally glad to see the back of him.

Ignore his little website and stick with the Archant facts, I say... [Y]

I''d call it bad jurnalism rather than the lazy variety.

Out of curiosity where does everyone get there football news from? Do people read about other teams and other leagues, or just focus on Norwich? Do any of you read the "amateur" blogs like zonalmarking.com?

The blog has obviously replaces the fanzine, but do people regulary check them? The ones I have seem appear to be just rewrites of stories coming from the Pink Un.

I read quite a few football blogs these days as they seem to be a lot better written than most of articles you get in the average newspaper. You don''t get a huge amount of NCFC news in many of them but hopefully our promotion will change that. Zonal Marking, Inbedwithmaradona and Footbal Ramble are all decent blogs which I check regularly and there are many others that I look at occasionally.

Sports writing/punditry from more tradional sources is in pretty poor shape at the moment. I''d much rather read a well written blog than a newspaper column or listen to uninformed nonsense from the likes of Adrian Chiles and Robbie Savage.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

I read quite a few football blogs these days as they seem to be a lot better written than most of articles you get in the average newspaper. You don''t get a huge amount of NCFC news in many of them but hopefully our promotion will change that. Zonal Marking, Inbedwithmaradona and Footbal Ramble are all decent blogs which I check regularly and there are many others that I look at occasionally.

Sports writing/punditry from more tradional sources is in pretty poor shape at the moment. I''d much rather read a well written blog than a newspaper column or listen to uninformed nonsense from the likes of Adrian Chiles and Robbie Savage.

[/quote]

I agree with you, especially regarding TV coverage. Most newspapers are slowly coming round to the idea that reportage alone isn''t good enough, scores are available live on the internet meaning papers just can''t keep up. You can already see it at the Guardian where they have moved away from just reporting on matches but going into details about tactics and the stories beyond the normal - Jonathan Wilson is probably the best sports jurnalist around (along with Simon Kuper). Even the BBC started talking about tactics, although having Alan Shearer as an "expert" does mean they lose all credibility. TV coverage will remain poor as there is no need for them to offer great insight, everyone is there for the game and not the pudits - Football Focus has good segments but too much chit-chat from the same old pundits repeating the same things every season (Fergie is good, Arsenal need to kick people more, Chelsea are rich). In my there need to be less ex-pros and more genuine experts on TV, or at least ex-pros who know what they are talking about; Savage is just the next in a long line of ex-players who say the same things, would love for there to be a football equivalent of cricket''s Simon Hughes.

I read pretty much the same blogs as you and agree that I''m looking forward to Norwich getting a greater mention - should imagine I''ll be playing with the Norwich City chalkboards quite a lot.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I''d call it bad jurnalism rather than the lazy variety.

Out of curiosity where does everyone get there football news from? Do people read about other teams and other leagues, or just focus on Norwich? Do any of you read the "amateur" blogs like zonalmarking.com?

The blog has obviously replaces the fanzine, but do people regulary check them? The ones I have seem appear to be just rewrites of stories coming from the Pink Un.

[/quote]Several places. I read my football news from three papers. The Daily Mail, The Telegraph and The Guardian as they have probably the widest variety of writers. I would peronally recomend Martin Samuel''s column on the Mail and Jonathan Wilsons'' from the Guardian. I also have great respect for Zonal Marking and the Sabotage Times sports section and I, of course, read the pink ''un

I rarely venture outside the confines of NCFC based journalism in terms of individual teams, but in general I read WSC or twohundredpercent.net - or the Beeb or The Guardian for breaking news. Although The Guardian is a bit poor when it comes to leagues below the Premier (which we don''t have to worry about of course!).