Sign in to follow this  
Big Rons Brain

Radio 5 live report "Lambert top of West Hams list"

ps remarks are in reply to Yankees post, not any of those above

My usual comment regarding laughable newspaper speculation applies here.MORE CHANCE OF BEING STRUCK BY LIGHTENING.

[quote user="City1st"]God, you don''t half talk some drivel Do you really think that Paul lambert is going to think "Oh look, another club is looking for a manager (there''s a novelty and a one off opportunity) I shall approach that club and see what they are prepared top pay then maybe use that to hold Norwich to ransome ?" To take your stupidity further it would require the board (who have taken us this far) to have not thought that another club might approach Lambert and to have put in place measures to deal with this. It would also require the respective financial positions of both clubs to be ignored. As much as we get around £40m in TV paymnts (or more) West Ham lose that amount. For a club with a hideously high wage bill as well as a crippling debt the next few months are going to be crucial. To stay alfloat they will need to cut their expenditure by that amount just to be in the same loss making position they were a few weeks back - never mind making reducing those losses. So setting aside the usual nonsense about transfer fees how ae they going to shift players on high paying contraacts ? Maybe some might have clauses in their contracts that drop their wages on relegation, but there is still an enormous amount to shift. Even allowing for the parachute payment there will still be the loss in sponsorship and advertising. 500m people (?) around the world is a bigger TV audience than a few thousand or so catching the few seconds between Lizzes witless emails after midnight on Saturday night. Attendances will also drop. But then why should reality intrude when there''s a chance to have a sly dig at our club ? Lambert''s going to throw away the certainty of being a Premier League manager, with all the challenge and exposure that comes with it, to ..................err,. see if he can achieve three promotions in a row. or a year or two after, maybe, if he is lucky ........ and hasn''t been sacked. You maybe green with envy YC, but that''s about all the green I can see in your post.[/quote]

My goodness, City 1st, it does take you a long time to get over your hurt from our previous exchange. You were so emotional you had to issue another post to clarify who you were addressing. Incidentally, I appreciate  you referring to me as God, although, to be fair, you even got that wrong.

Now then, speaking of drivel, you took almost 400 words of that variety to respond without even once engaging your brain once during the process ( a difficult procedure for you to accomplish I do acknowledge ). Rather than point out the foolishness in your response I will amuse myself and pretend that, if Paul Lambert were reading my post and then yours, which of the two of us he would imagine to be the bigger fool. It''s no contest but I agree you would require a brain to figure that out.

Oh, the irony.The word ''trust'' is clearly a term too easily bandied about these days.

If anyone is even remotely concerned by this predictable rumour then you have clearly learned nothing from Paul Lamberts previous links with other clubs. It was so predictable that Lambert would in some way be linked to West Ham the second Avram got the sack. I''m not the slightest bit concerned about this as in case you hadn''t already noticed Lambert is very happy at Norwich City football club and it would take an opportunity he can''t refuse to take him away from us, i.e a big European club coming in for him and I can''t see any of the big clubs taking much of an interest in Paul until he has proven himself at Premier League level. The only club that slightly concerns me is Aston Villa, I think it would be a shrewd move for their owners to go in for Lambert after Houlier leaves, hopefully they will look for a bigger name though and you know how fickle those Villa fans are, they wouldn''t be happy unless it was someone with a European reputation.  

Blimey, up he pops again. Not too brighht, but at least he can count. He bothered to count the number of words in my post, scary ! Unsurprisingly he makes no mention this time of Lambert trying to do a deal behind the club''s back.

Does claim that my stuff about West Ham is a result of ......... not engaging my brain. Perhaps he might care to click on the link to to Daily Mail page. They paint an even worse scenario.

Also, unsurprisingly for somone who doesn''t appear to like our club, doesn''t tell us why when claiming to be in the states he is posting on here at lunchtime (UK) - which would be around 7 in the morning over there.

So Mr troll, do you still stand by your words

"Mr. Lambert realises that will not be a greater negotiating position for him with either Norwich City or any other club than is the case right now."

''negotiating position for him with .........any other club ''

that Lambert will consider negotiating with other clubs behind our back. And perhaps also tell us what your motivation is for posting up this attack upon Lamberts integrity.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Didn''t do us any harm?

Its was akin to ruddy Armmagedden on here Shacks........however its spelt! [;)]

[/quote]

I meant in the long run Wiz. The club can''t respond to every half baked media rumour just becuase the inhabitants of this forum are such an emotional bunch [;)]

I must say, that whenever Lambert is ever touted for a potential move he always sounds a self-gratfying, detestable, pernicious, narcissistic a***hole.In no way, shape, or form, does the Lambert i know in this three-dimensional universe compiled by physical matter and energy emulate the aforementioned characteristics; he is in fact frequently quoted to the contrary, and his conduct and manner the polar opposite to one conniving his way to a world where all gravitates around his own means.Some people on here desperately need to take a step backwards before they can be taken seriously.

They can get stuffed. I don''t think Lambert would be tempted to go to Wet Sham at the moment, anyway. Why would he swap a season (at least one season!) for another in The Championship - with no guarantees of another promotion? It would be a huge gamble on his part!

John, for someone who likes to write your words often appear designed to appeal to coincide with the emotions and popular opinions of others. If that is your objective then you have succeeded. If, on the other hand, you wish to be a writer that forms an opinion based upon critical and objective input then you have failed. Here are the essential elements: 1)  Paul Lambert is undoubtedly ambitious. 2 ) He has changed clubs before when under contract. 3) He is coming off the back of two successive promotions to take Norwich back into the Premiership and, therefore, his star is at the brightest point of his managerial career. 3) Those people with a lot more money than Norwich City has are willing to go to great lengths to go after someone they think may be a steal.

Personally, I don''t think the West Ham opening has any particular appeal for Paul Lambert. However, John, do you not think the above essential elements would contribute to an interesting time over the next couple of months relating to possibilities for Paul Lambert without a need for anyone to conclude that he is self-gratifying, detestable, pernicious or a narcissistic a***hole? If so, then perhaps you could apply your writing ability to a critical assessment of that.          

Forgive me for hijacking Yankee but you raise some good points :"1)  Paul Lambert is undoubtedly ambitious. 2 ) He has changed clubs

before when under contract. 3) He is coming off the back of two

successive promotions to take Norwich back into the Premiership and,

therefore, his star is at the brightest point of his managerial career.

4 ?) Those people with a lot more money than Norwich City has are willing

to go to great lengths to go after someone they think may be a steal."1) Agreed, and a good job too :).2 and 3) He moved from a small club to a medium sized club, the jump from Colchester to Norwich is massive, and a bit of a no-brainer if you ask me.  If he does well here, the next move will be to a large club (35-50,000 capacity, potential for european competition).  Large clubs take on managers proven at the top level.  Lambert will need 1 season minimum Premiership experience for a club like Villa to take a punt on him, for example.4) only becomes a problem when 2 and 3) has been addressed.  And at that point Norwich will be much better off than when he arrived, and McNally has the nous and the contacts to find a more than adequate replacement with the resources at his disposal.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Forgive me for hijacking Yankee but you raise some good points :"1)  Paul Lambert is undoubtedly ambitious. 2 ) He has changed clubs

to go to great lengths to go after someone they think may be a steal."1) Agreed, and a good job too :).2 and 3) He moved from a small club to a medium sized club, the jump from Colchester to Norwich is massive, and a bit of a no-brainer if you ask me.  If he does well here, the next move will be to a large club (35-50,000 capacity, potential for european competition).  Large clubs take on managers proven at the top level.  Lambert will need 1 season minimum Premiership experience for a club like Villa to take a punt on him, for example.4) only becomes a problem when 2 and 3) has been addressed.  And at that point Norwich will be much better off than when he arrived, and McNally has the nous and the contacts to find a more than adequate replacement with the resources at his disposal.

[/quote]Good analysis Blah. I have this irrational suspicion that Lambert could become our Alex Ferguson. Some clubs & managers just seem to ''fit'', & he & NCFC look like they make a good team, better than the sum of its parts - same as on the pitch. Brian Clough''s time at Leeds is a prime example of why moving to a "bigger" club doesn''t always work, even with the most talented managers.Early days, but I''m keeping fingers crossed.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="blahblahblah"]Forgive me for hijacking Yankee but you raise some good points :"1)  Paul Lambert is undoubtedly ambitious. 2 ) He has changed clubs

[/quote]Good analysis Blah. I have this irrational suspicion that Lambert could become our Alex Ferguson. Some clubs & managers just seem to ''fit'', & he & NCFC look like they make a good team, better than the sum of its parts - same as on the pitch. Brian Clough''s time at Leeds is a prime example of why moving to a "bigger" club doesn''t always work, even with the most talented managers.Early days, but I''m keeping fingers crossed.[/quote]I think that''s being a tad ambitious Ron, I can''t see him staying at Norwich for anywhere near that length of time, it''s wrong to compare our situation to Manchester United because once a manager has succeeded in becoming successful at United for several years their really is no bigger job in club football to move onto. The only comparison we could draw inspiration from is Alan Curbishley at Charlton, he was manager for 15 years until 2006, quite an achievement when you think about it and I don''t think it will ever be repeated again at another similar sized club. I''m still confident we can get another 2 years or more out of Lambert before he moves on, of course that''s dependent on how we cope in the Premier League.

I gave up reading Yankee and City''s comments.

The rest of the comments since seem to make a little more sense.

I don''t think Paul Lambert would leave to West Ham (to answer original post). He''s just gone through a season of that sh*t league and will be glad to be out of it.

Norwich have been stabilised from when he and formerly McNally joined which has taken 2 years. West Ham are now at the beginning of the demolishing of their squad and rebuilding on a championship wage structure + parachute.

I would hope Lambert comits to a longish term contract at the end of this season, having  perhaps avoided relegation (too optimistic?!))

He will move on as do all managers, i expect within 4years of now but only for the right club which he will have in his mind who that is.

Perhaps taking over Everton when Moyes goes to United....

Who knows, OTBC!

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

John, for someone who likes to write your words often appear designed to appeal to coincide with the emotions and popular opinions of others. If that is your objective then you have succeeded. If, on the other hand, you wish to be a writer that forms an opinion based upon critical and objective input then you have failed. Here are the essential elements: 1)  Paul Lambert is undoubtedly ambitious. 2 ) He has changed clubs before when under contract. 3) He is coming off the back of two successive promotions to take Norwich back into the Premiership and, therefore, his star is at the brightest point of his managerial career. 3) Those people with a lot more money than Norwich City has are willing to go to great lengths to go after someone they think may be a steal.

Personally, I don''t think the West Ham opening has any particular appeal for Paul Lambert. However, John, do you not think the above essential elements would contribute to an interesting time over the next couple of months relating to possibilities for Paul Lambert without a need for anyone to conclude that he is self-gratifying, detestable, pernicious or a narcissistic a***hole? If so, then perhaps you could apply your writing ability to a critical assessment of that.          

[/quote]Because my opinion happens to coincide on this singular occasion with what you percieve to be the majority, you presume that is my tendancy? Quite the contrary, i''ve had many a fractious argument on this board, suggesting for example that Holt will score over 20 goals in the Championship, McDonald remains an asset worth persevering with, we''ll contend for promotion at the first time of asking... etc..1) Paul Lambert is ambitious. On the other hand speculation over him conniving with other clubs for purely selfish means on a purely unfounded basis indicates to me that discussions have taken a turn down a road that was never worth tredding. On this point, neither the board nor Lamberts word has ever been enough for fans that concern themselves with such gossip.2) & 3) On these points i totally concur with Blah. Lambert has never been a man devoid of ambition (it is in fact what has kept the flame burning during his tenure here - note; his challenge to the players to take the victories you are on the cusp of taking). He will one day leave this club, for whatever reason (the likely one being what Blah has covered). His facets however have not established themselves at a level appropriate to his potential, hence why i don''t see any imminent departure, nor do i see him as an oppertunist plotting his way to one as we speak (the kind of Lambert many seem to have become fixated by when managers get sacked, and the rumour mill dawns upon us).4 (or the ''other'' 3)) Again, Blah said in response no less than i would have.My comments were not pinpointed at you in the first place YC, more this whole thread, and the mass of arguments i feel to be a shame that i''ve encountered amongst City fans.As for how and what i write, i believe we covered this vexed ''tutorship'' mentality you''ve got going on:http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/forums/2/2513631/ShowPost.aspx#2513631

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Sorry John, I''ll let you get there first next time [:)]  I must find something for these idle hands to do ![/quote]You need not worry Blah; i''m very open to the idea of people voluntarily arguing on my behalf if they can do it as well as you can. [Y]

I hope we have all learned something from Burnleygate and at if speculation persists (i) Lambert will quash it more quickly and (ii) we will not all panic as we did last time (myself included).

Ultimately West ham can have who the f**k they want at the top of thier list but unluckily for them:

1. We are as big a club as them (IMHO)

2. We are a league above them

3. We have more money than them and Lambo has been promised most of it to spend this summer

4. Their board are a bunch of t**ts who no right thinking manager would want to work for.

Lambert will leave us for bigger things at some point (probably quite soon) but it won''t be to this bunch of clowns. He is not stupid.

Blah, thank you for the response. The main point of yours ( and John''s ) I would challenge is whether or not a well established Premiership team would take a chance on someone like Paul Lambert. We all know Everton did with David Moyes and there are one or two others that will also fit the Everton mould....i.e. competing for a European spot without spending a fortune to do so. Additionally, there are always one or two surprise management changes within the Premiership ranks that can cause some musical chairs. Honestly, I hope that you are correct but I suspect the next several weeks will find Paul Lambert''s name at the forefront of a number of "possibilities", and I don''t think any of us imagine that will require any initiative by Paul Lambert for that to be the case. In other words this story won''t stop because some of us would like it to.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I hope we have all learned something from Burnleygate and at if speculation persists (i) Lambert will quash it more quickly and (ii) we will not all panic as we did last time (myself included).

Ultimately West ham can have who the f**k they want at the top of thier list but unluckily for them:

1. We are as big a club as them (IMHO)

2. We are a league above them

3. We have more money than them and Lambo has been promised most of it to spend this summer

4. Their board are a bunch of t**ts who no right thinking manager would want to work for.

Lambert will leave us for bigger things at some point (probably quite soon) but it won''t be to this bunch of clowns. He is not stupid.

[/quote]

I agree, Jim. Interesting that Delia and Mr Apprentice''s er right hand woman apparently are very good friends - I can''t see this business going down too well with Delia etc?.

I''m not worried about PL joining West Ham in the slightest, I genuinely think that''s a non starter - What I''d be more worried about is if this summer we tried to sign Carlton Cole...

(Wouldn''t mind Hitzlsperger though).

No problem Yankee old mate !" I suspect the next several weeks will find Paul Lambert''s name at the

forefront of a number of "possibilities", and I don''t think any of

us imagine that will require any initiative by Paul Lambert for that to

be the case. In other words this story won''t stop because some of us

would like it to."Absolutely !  It is the price of having a successful team and manager.  One worth paying I''d say.  Looking at the league table from 6th down, I''d say managers from 6-11 are safe as they are either over-performing or have turned things round.  Arguably Houllier at Villa, Bruce at Sunderland might have cause for concern ?  I can''t see Lambert wanting to go to Blackburn as the new owners haven''t covered themselves in glory so far and they have a small crowd,  which leaves Wolves, who will hold onto McCarthy, McCleish who has just won a cup, Blackpool and Wigan who both expected to be towards the bottom of the league.  So I don''t see a likely opening that would be better than what Lambert has here.  But who can predict the future ?

" I don''t think any of us imagine that will require any initiative by Paul Lambert for that to be the case. "

So there we have it. It will all be down to other clubs tempting Lambert and nothing to do with him.

Odd then, how earlier Yankee (?) was stating

"Mr. Lambert realises that will not be a greater negotiating position for him with either Norwich City or any other club than is the case right now."

"Paul has personal issues that will cause him to take a good hard look at any opportunity"

So having ''ishoos'' that "cause him take a good hard look''" is not in anyway possible, inniative on his part ? Nor the realisation about his supposed ''greater negotiation position'' is not an inniative ? For someone who counts the number of words of another post you know exactly what you are saying and exactly what is intended to be implied.

Paul Lambert is contracted to Norwich City and will have signed that contract with the full knowledge of there being alleged ''offers'' from other clubs in the future. The board would have signed that contract on the same basis. That doesn''t mean there is any truth in either the offers ofr Lamberts wish to negotiate with those clubs. That doesn''t stop Yankees(?) weasel words about Lambert doing deals behind the club''s back.

" this story won''t stop because some of us would like it to"

There is no real story other than what you seem to want to create. There is nothing new in media speculation about a successful manager joining x or y club on the basis that the club is failing, has lost its manager or there is the usual need to fill some space.

Nor is there anything new in your snide insinuations, Yankee, about the integrity of Paul Lambert. I wonder why that might be ? I think many of us can guess.

I am not at all bothered by all of this speculation. Most bookies have Lambert between 16 & 25/1 (although we all know the bookies history of their odds when linking Lambert!!) and I simply cannot understand why he would be interested in dropping to a club in serious trouble which has interference in team affairs from above.

Something that could be interesting though is that Warnock apparently has meeting on Thursday to decide his QPR future. I have a feeling that he could be the next West Ham United Manager

[quote user="First Wizard"]City and Lambert need to nip this in the bud before we have a ''Burnley'' on our hands again.[/quote]

Why should they? Why should they come out every single time some club shows interest in him. I mean, this is going to happen 100 times before the season starts, and during the season too. He has stated categorically time and again that he is very happy here. Have a little faith and let it be.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"]I am not at all bothered by all of this speculation. Most bookies have Lambert between 16 & 25/1 (although we all know the bookies history of their odds when linking Lambert!!) and I simply cannot understand why he would be interested in dropping to a club in serious trouble which has interference in team affairs from above. Something that could be interesting though is that Warnock apparently has meeting on Thursday to decide his QPR future. I have a feeling that he could be the next West Ham United Manager[/quote]

The mirror are at it now,