Sign in to follow this  
Big Rons Brain

Radio 5 live report "Lambert top of West Hams list"

I just can''t see this. Club in financial turmoil, a complete circus in the boardroom, they are in a lower league than us and most importantly I think the players. He knows that the players who he puts out at Norwich will run through a brick wall for him. I doubt some like Julian Faubert or Luis Boa Morte might see it that way!

I''m sure Lambert is on thier wish list , like he is on the other 90 % of ALL the teams not in the Prem like we now are.

He''s a top manager and will be with us for at least the next season becuase he''s no reason not to be. He has the backing of the board, he has the money from the prem and the chance to further his name even more so.

I bet that took the writer of that report all of........ 5 minutes to think that one up :-)

As good as PL is, I think too many people forget the influence Mr Mcnally has had in the success of PL. In my opinion if PL left it would be similar to the time when Mike Walker left to go to Everton and the rest is history.

Right now, Norwich and PL go together like ''fish n chips'' and for him to move especially to a club in turmoil like West Ham would prove to be suicide for PL''s career. Mcnally, works so well with PL whereas Gold and Sullivan seem intent on ruining a once decent club.

[quote user="Cambridge yellow"]I''m sure Lambert is on thier wish list , like he is on the other 90 % of ALL the teams not in the Prem like we now are.

He''s a top manager and will be with us for at least the next season becuase he''s no reason not to be. He has the backing of the board, he has the money from the prem and the chance to further his name even more so.

I bet that took the writer of that report all of........ 5 minutes to think that one up :-)[/quote]Yes I fully agree with you, It wouldn''t surprise me if in a couple of yrs (if we do well) PL will be linked to a team in the top 5 then we will lose him.

[quote user="Jacko"]I just can''t see this. Club in financial turmoil, a complete circus in the boardroom, they are in a lower league than us and most importantly I think the players. He knows that the players who he puts out at Norwich will run through a brick wall for him. I doubt some like Julian Faubert or Luis Boa Morte might see it that way![/quote]

I also don''t see it happening, but don''t think it has anything to do with the players.

When Lambert first came to Norwich did he look at Goran Maric or Simon Whaley and think "this guys will run through brick walls for me"? Lambert has brought in those type of players rather than inheriting them and will contiune to build squads around these kind of players; like O''Neill and Ferguson. Lambert won''t leave as he wants to gain experience in the Premier League, nothing to do with the players at this squad or another squad.

He''s never going there!! He would only go if someone like a Villa or Newcastle or a club bigger then theses two came in for him.Even then I am not so sure!

Yeah, can''t see why on earth he would be intersted in west ham at the moment, will be interesting to see if this story builds or most likely dies a death.If it builds I imagine strong statments from Lambert and the Club will come out.Think we have him for next season pretty much nailed on.   Must be a good chance of him moving on in a years time, you kind of feel that however we do next season (apart from a proper disaster!), Lamberts'' stock will still be high enough for a proper big job to come his way.

I agree with mos of the responses on here. That is, in no particular order:1. Why are we disussing it2. It''s going to happen every time any upper champ or lower mid prem club has a managerial vacancy (so get used to it!)3. He wouldn''t go to West Spam in their current state in a million years!4. He aint going to go anywhere until a top 6 club come in for him

I''ll qualify that by admiting that i would be nervous if say a large underachieving club came in for him (i.e. as suggested, a villa or a newcastle)

west ham are in a complete mess, why would paul lambert want to go there this summer the manager will have to over see a fire sale and replace a team on a shoe string. And then if they are not promoted straight away the club is surely in danger of going to the wall.

1. Why are we discussing it

Yes indeed. Lets put it to bed now!!! Its not gonna happen.

When I get time in the next few days I am going to put on a bet that Lambert will be the next Man Utd manager - after a few succesful Premiership seasons with us of course. He is the perfect fit for Man Utd.

They are desperate to get an unamed British manager and i honestly think it is PL and that they will approach our board regarding talking to him but i also believe PL has no interest in Wet spam and will be here next season no matter who comes after him,including Everton.

[quote user="First Wizard"]City and Lambert need to nip this in the bud before we have a ''Burnley'' on our hands again.[/quote]

Indeed they do but having said that PL is no longer on the list of managers linked with the Wet spam job on Sky News,Chris Hughton is favourite now.

He''s on their "wish list" just like a Ferrari is on mine & even though I''m skint I stand more chance of getting my wish than West Ham do.  

[quote user="First Wizard"]City and Lambert need to nip this in the bud before we have a ''Burnley'' on our hands again.[/quote]

Indeed they do but having said that PL is no longer on the list of managers linked with the Wet spam job on Sky News,Chris Hughton is favourite now.

"City and Lambert need to nip this in the bud before we have a ''Burnley'' on our hands again."you have to be kidding Wiz.  We''re in a much better position than West Ham, who appear to be in complete disarray.

Why? It''s not as if the whole Lambert to Burnley thing did us any harm.

All West Ham are doing is trying to is keep their fans happy by releasing a wish list to the press with a number of good managers on it. Deep down they will know that they have no chance of luring PL away from City but they have to be seen to be making an effort. That way when they end up with some desparate, out of work failure of a manager they can at least pretend that there were other options.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Why? It''s not as if the whole Lambert to Burnley thing did us any harm.

All West Ham are doing is trying to is keep their fans happy by releasing a wish list to the press with a number of good managers on it. Deep down they will know that they have no chance of luring PL away from City but they have to be seen to be making an effort. That way when they end up with some desparate, out of work failure of a manager they can at least pretend that there were other options.

[/quote]

Didn''t do us any harm?

Its was akin to ruddy Armmagedden on here Shacks........however its spelt! [;)]

In my view too many of you are allowing your emotions to cloud your thinking. Paul Lambert knows that right now ( meaning from now through the coming weeks ) is probably the peak moment to avail himself of greater career/financial opportunities for the future. If we get into next season and, like most clubs new to the Premiership, find ourselves struggling then Mr. Lambert realises that will not be a greater negotiating position for him with either Norwich City or any other club than is the case right now.

We all know that, historically, Norwich City are  "careful" with how much we are willing to pay our managers. Also, let''s not forget that Paul has personal issues that will cause him to take a good hard look at any opportunity for a significant salary/bonus increase within a long-term contract that presents itself.  

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

In my view too many of you are allowing your emotions to cloud your thinking. Paul Lambert knows that right now ( meaning from now through the coming weeks ) is probably the peak moment to avail himself of greater career/financial opportunities for the future. If we get into next season and, like most clubs new to the Premiership, find ourselves struggling then Mr. Lambert realises that will not be a greater negotiating position for him with either Norwich City or any other club than is the case right now.

We all know that, historically, Norwich City are  "careful" with how much we are willing to pay our managers. Also, let''s not forget that Paul has personal issues that will cause him to take a good hard look at any opportunity for a significant salary/bonus increase within a long-term contract that presents itself.  

[/quote]

Very good point well made. I still fully expect this story to die a death, but I think it''d be naive to think Lambert wouldn''t at the very least consider all options and eventualities, both from an emotional and dispassionate viewpoint.

This is classic "sounding out". Club talks about manager/player X when their real target is manager/player Y. The club in question knows that X is an unlikely/impossible target but it strenghtens their position when it comes to Y, e.g. "well, you weren''t our first choice..." Target Y is now more likely to accept lower wages and player budget. There is also the added bonus that by some miracle X''s agent might phone up and go "yeah, he would be interested, what are you offering?" Lambert appears to be the second manager''s name West Ham have used, firstly it was Steve McLaren - West Ham aren''t in a position to be paying compensation for a manager anyway and I''m almost certain that person Y is Chris Hughton (who was born in Stratford and is a West Ham fan).

I think Chris Hughton will get the West Ham job. I can''t see Paul Lambert making the move there what with the poor running of the club, poor players on high wages, interfering and outspoken owners and Chief Executive, plus the fact they are now a division below us.

If someone like Hughton does go there, I just hope they treat him with more respect than Newcastle treated him with, and that if he does get them promoted they give him a chance in the Premiership.

Can''t imagine a higher wage is what would tempt Lambert anywhere. He was a world-class player and played at the top for the game for a decade, he''s not exactly going to be counting the pennies. He wants a club that can match his ambitions and hopefully the positive sounds for our board mean that we can meet them.

God, you don''t half talk some drivel

Do you really think that Paul lambert is going to think "Oh look, another club is looking for a manager (there''s a novelty and a one off opportunity) I shall approach that club and see what they are prepared top pay then maybe use that to hold Norwich to ransome ?"

To take your stupidity further it would require the board (who have taken us this far) to have not thought that another club might approach Lambert and to have put in place measures to deal with this.

It would also require the respective financial positions of both clubs to be ignored. As much as we get around £40m in TV paymnts (or more) West Ham lose that amount. For a club with a hideously high wage bill as well as a crippling debt the next few months are going to be crucial.

To stay alfloat they will need to cut their expenditure by that amount just to be in the same loss making position they were a few weeks back - never mind making reducing those losses. So setting aside the usual nonsense about transfer fees how ae they going to shift players on high paying contraacts ? Maybe some might have clauses in their contracts that drop their wages on relegation, but there is still an enormous amount to shift.

Even allowing for the parachute payment there will still be the loss in sponsorship and advertising. 500m people (?) around the world is a bigger TV audience than a few thousand or so catching the few seconds between Lizzes witless emails after midnight on Saturday night. Attendances will also drop.

But then why should reality intrude when there''s a chance to have a sly dig at our club ? Lambert''s going to throw away the certainty of being a Premier League manager, with all the challenge and exposure that comes with it, to ..................err,. see if he can achieve three promotions in a row. or a year or two after, maybe, if he is lucky ........ and hasn''t been sacked.

You maybe green with envy YC, but that''s about all the green I can see in your post.