Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Latest Lambert rumour courtesy of The Sun...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3586161/THE-CANARIES-are-worried-that-rival-Prem-clubs-will-want-their-boss-Paul-Lambert.html

Apparently we''re bricking it that we''re going to lose him?. Nothing most on here don''t already know I''m sure, but I was not aware what the score was with Lamberts contract - According to the nations ''favourite'' red top it is around £1.6mill a year, but is a rolling contract.... And he''s apparently yet to sign a new one...

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]£1.6m a year? That''s over £30k a week. Surely that''s not right?[/quote]

In all honesty I have no idea whether we could afford that kind of money - But having said that I can''t see us getting away with paying him £5,000 a week either, so surely that''s probably about right?

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]£1.6m a year? That''s over £30k a week. Surely that''s not right?[/quote]

In all honesty I have no idea whether we could afford that kind of money - But having said that I can''t see us getting away with paying him £5,000 a week either, so surely that''s probably about right?[/quote]I think somewhere in the middle would be about right. I''d be surprised if we offered him as much as £1.6m a year, but I''d rather pay that than lose him!

Since when did 5 sentences constitute as journalism? And the article on Maynard was only 3!Utter trash from a source desperate to start rumours.

Even if someone did come in for him, I honestly don''t think he would go, he has started something big here and think he will want to see it through. Could we be the new Forest in the Clough era? with PL and IC the new Clough and Taylor.

More bollocks, and also a missunderstanding of how a rolling contract works. Do the sun honestly think we havent got our manager tied down for next season, or are they confusing McNalley for that mug Doncaster!?

For those of you crying "bullshit" there was an interesting bit on ''See you in Court'' last night - one of the leading legal houses in Libel claims against newspapers stated that the Sun were usually correct in any rumours they printed.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]For those of you crying "bullshit" there was an interesting bit on ''See you in Court'' last night - one of the leading legal houses in Libel claims against newspapers stated that the Sun were usually correct in any rumours they printed.[/quote]

I''m not entirely sure how the legal process works but I very much doubt there are too many libel claims concerning transfer rumours/management appointments. There''s probably a grain of truth in this somewhere (that''s how most rumours start after all) in that we probably are mildly concerned that PL might have his head turned by a ''bigger'' club in the Premier League. He is one of the brightest young managers in the country and would be on the short list of most clubs outside of the top six if they needed a new manager.

Maybe PL is simply NOT driven by money.

There are lots of pre-divorce cases where men deliberately seek to present lower earnings in order to protect their immediate financial future. Post-settlement may be an entirely different matter...

Let''s see what the article says....----------------

NORWICH fear boss Paul Lambert is the target of rival Premier League clubs.

The Carrow Road chief, who has led his team to successive promotions, has been

offered a £1.6million-a-year deal.

But Lambert, 41, has yet to sign the contract.

He has worked wonders since taking over at the start of last season and

top-flight clubs — even with managers in place — are showing an

interest.

The Scot is on a one-year rolling deal at Carrow Road and, though any new

contract would be the same length, Norwich hope he will remain at the club

next season.

------------This is stating the obvious.  Of course Lambert will be a target for middling Prem clubs, he is a potentially great manager who can lead, motivate, inspire and demonstrate tactical awareness.  I have yet to see any shortcomings in his style or ability and I think we all accept at some point he will join a bigger club.Therefore of course we''re going to try and tie him down to a lucrative contract to get the best from him while he''s here.This isn''t news, it''s common sense.  Quite why posters on here are calling it "bollocks" is beyond me unless they can''t read.

[quote user="Proper Charlie"]The big word in there is "USUALLY" JG. Fecking tripe in my opinion.[/quote]

Yes, USUALLY! Something tells me you don''t understand what ''Usually'' means, Charlie?

Now I was well aware I''d get the one or two posters dismissing this small piece of print and playing it safe, but I''m not interested in what people think of it as a paper, as that''s extremely predictable. The whole point of me posting this was because IT''S BANTER FOR THIS MESSAGEBOARD, not because I neccessarily believe the content. Having said that, Do I believe there will be Premier League clubs looking at Lambert this summer? ABSOLUTELY. What I was more interested in, regarding this ''article'', was the contract business. I have no idea how a rolling contract works, and whether it''s true that''s what Lambert is on...?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Let''s see what the article says....----------------

NORWICH fear boss Paul Lambert is the target of rival Premier League clubs.

The Carrow Road chief, who has led his team to successive promotions, has been

offered a £1.6million-a-year deal.

But Lambert, 41, has yet to sign the contract.

He has worked wonders since taking over at the start of last season and

top-flight clubs — even with managers in place — are showing an

interest.

The Scot is on a one-year rolling deal at Carrow Road and, though any new

contract would be the same length, Norwich hope he will remain at the club

next season.

------------This is stating the obvious.  Of course Lambert will be a target for middling Prem clubs, he is a potentially great manager who can lead, motivate, inspire and demonstrate tactical awareness.  I have yet to see any shortcomings in his style or ability and I think we all accept at some point he will join a bigger club.Therefore of course we''re going to try and tie him down to a lucrative contract to get the best from him while he''s here.This isn''t news, it''s common sense.  Quite why posters on here are calling it "bollocks" is beyond me unless they can''t read.[/quote]

Well said Mr Chops - Unfortunately most are doing the predictable token response I expected towards a Sun ''article''. My interest in it was the contract side of things, as it''s obvious that fellow Premier League clubs will be looking at him (whats bu115h1t about that?!?!), and that Lambert has yet to sign a new contract. Now that I have no idea about, and am interested to know what fellow posters think about the contract situation. Can''t remember when I last saw an official NCFC statement regarding Lambert signing a new contract?

A rolling contract rolls on, you don''t re-sign it. That''s kinda the point...?

"Prem clubs what Lambert" has been true for over a year now, and remains true. If they didn''t want him, he wouldn''t be as awesome as he is! :)

He deserves a good salary in view of his success in reviving the fortunes of NCFC.What we don''t want is to lose him due to petty penny pinching and wind up years later later citing the Martin O''Neill scenario as to where it all went wrong.Pay the man... end of story.

[quote user="Sing up the river end "]Wouldn''t wipe my butt with that paper ,let alone believe any of its drivel[/quote]

Even the articles in page 3 are fake

"Pay the man... end of story."

They are. Do you think he''s been here for free the past 2 years...? Or maybe that he got paid...? hahahaha!

"Sky is blue... end of story."

£1.6m is a little bit over the going rate for a newly promoted team''s manager so that shows the determination from the Board to keep him. He could double that salary if he went to a top six side which seems unlikely at the moment.

Right, let''s get this ended right now with other clubs coming in for Lambert. Looking at every club in the Prem let''s see who would actually target Lambert.

1 Man U - Nope, don''t be silly

2 Chelsea - Come on, really?

3. Man City - No way

4. Arsenal - ditto

5. Tottenham - Never

6. Liverpool - Now you are taking the p*ss

7. Everton - hmm, if David Moyles leaves this could be possible - would be a similar route to the Moyles appointment. Can''t see there being a manager change here thought after their strong end to the season

8. Fulham - Similar to Everton, but can''t see Mark Hughes going anywhere

9. Stoke - No way Jose

10. Bolton - If Owen Coyle leaves then this could be a worry, but can''t see Mr Coyle going anywhere for a while

11. West Brom - Hodgson is a God

12. Newcastle - Despite everyone''s laughter, Pardew has done a decent job and is on a massive contract. If there was a vacancy here then I be worried

13. Aston Villa - They will be changing manager in the summer, but Rafa Benitez is the likely man to take over (or so I have heard from my spies)

14. Sunderland - Bruce has just about saved his job, but he might not have it for long if he makes a poor start to next season. Could tempt Lambert

15. Blackburn - Run by lunatics and agents, highly likely to go down. Kean will probably be gone at the end of the season regardless, could test Lambert''s resolve

16. Wolves - If they stay up big Mick will stay in the job, if they go down - who cares?

17. Birmingham - Same as Wolves

18. Blackpool - Won''t tempt Lambert in anyway

19. Wigan - See Wolves and Birmingham

20. West Ham - Relegated and the rumour mill has already moved on from Lambert

So to sum up, if there are management changes at Everton, Bolton, Fulham or Newcastle I would worry. If Blackburn stay up and Kean goes then there is a slight concern there. The biggest chance of Lambert leaving (as things currently are) is if Aston Villa decide they want to go back to a Martin O''Neill style manager - I think this is highly unlikely.

Also worth noting; Chris Hughton, Sam Allardyce, Steve McClaren, Rafa Benitez, Martin O''Neill and Alan Curbishley are all looking to get into management in the Premier League next season and most will provide an attractive experienced option for Chairmen at most Premier League clubs.

In conclusion, don''t worry be happy.

He''s worth 30K a week and a lot more if he continues to be successful. The only way to keep him is to pay the market rate as in any other private industry and while we''re getting 40 million for each season in the Prem it''s only a small percentage of our turnover. It''s pure financial commonsense to keep the top guy in the business.