Sign in to follow this  
Reykjavik Canary

Official transfer idea thread summer 2011.

That could allow you to scout more extensively lesser known leagues. For example if you have a fan in Iceland (my land), Nigeria, South Korea and Australia that would get you updates from there, which I don''t believe the normal football club does scout.

[quote user="John"]Thanks for the kind words Iwan - especially when said through such gritted teeth. [;)] [Y]

By all means i haven''t covered it all, and i''d certainly expect City fans here, and everywhere, to have their imaginations run wild as the transfer window progresses.

Think of it as a ''starter''; i''d hate to see my thorough, all encompassing research and succinct (stop laughing) ability to interpret the market put an end to all the speculation that makes the close season the joy it is. [:)]
[/quote]

I would say you''ve put an end to it, as there''s no Owen or SWP on your list. [;)]

Before I put this out there, I just want to be clear that I rate Ruddy & think he should be given his shot next year. But if Lambert doesn''t or wants someone with more experience to start with, how about Shay Given on loan for the season?

I had never even heard of Garra Dembele, and whilst I accept the risk of assessing off a youtube video - and with my tin hat fully on - he is a player we should 100% be looking at.

6''1, quick and strong, only 25 and bloody hell can that boy finish. With both feet.

Only cost Levski 200 000 Euros so I would think half a mill would be more than enough to make them sell.

Looks like an incredible player, and yeah it''s only the Bulgarian league, but he scored against Lille too in what I presum was a Europa game - You can only beat what''s put in front of you.

[quote user="Pboro Canary"]Before I put this out there, I just want to be clear that I rate Ruddy & think he should be given his shot next year. But if Lambert doesn''t or wants someone with more experience to start with, how about Shay Given on loan for the season?[/quote]

The same Shay Given on mega money at Man City and has been linked with Arsenal?

Sorry meant to add in the youtube link for the first half of Garra Dembele''s season - 26 goals in 26 games -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=378csf1QzSo&feature=related

Also meant to add, we signed Cody off the back of scoring something like 20goals in 19games - this boy has done similar for 32 games, at a (slightly?) higher level.

[quote user="Ben "]

[quote user="Pboro Canary"]Before I put this out there, I just want to be clear that I rate Ruddy & think he should be given his shot next year. But if Lambert doesn''t or wants someone with more experience to start with, how about Shay Given on loan for the season?[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, the same Shay Given that was linked with clubs all season long but no-one took an interest in him & from the same Man City that were doing Cardiff massive favours with Bellamy''s wages. I''m not saying they would extend the same sort of deal to us on Given but if we ended up paying less than 25% of his wages I feel that would represent a decent loan arrangement. Obviosuly I am more than aware that a permanent deal is well outside the realms of reality but a season long loan could work out nicely for both parties.

[quote user="Ben "]

[/quote]

Yes, the same Shay Given that was linked with clubs all season long but no-one took an interest in him & from the same Man City that were doing Cardiff massive favours with Bellamy''s wages. I''m not saying they would extend the same sort of deal to us on Given but if we ended up paying less than 25% of his wages I feel that would represent a decent loan arrangement. Obviosuly I am more than aware that a permanent deal is well outside the realms of reality but a season long loan could work out nicely for both parties.

This suggestion is mainly based on Football Manager so take it as you will.

Patrick Ebert of Hertha BSC right winger age 24. I had him in Football Manager Online and was constantly being bugged by German Guys who wanted to sign him.

From looking around it looks like he''s had some knee problems so has missed most of the season and quite a lot of the season before, but in the 9 games he played this year he got 3 assists and a goal and in 08/09 he got 4 goals and 8 assists in 20 games.

There''s a youtube video of him from the 08/09 season, looks to have a great cross on him and can take a free kick too.

[quote user="Pboro Canary"][quote user="Ben "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Can''t see that happening. Especially with UEFAs finacial fairplay regulations coming in place next season so Man City will be looking to sell quite a few high earning players. City only paid Bellamys wages as several rival clubs showed and interest in him and Bellamy was very unhappy at City and wanted to move to Cardiff. Unless Given comes out soon expressing his love for Norwich and  starts causing conflict at Man City this is a long long way off ..

Oo, also while looking for info on Ebert I spotted Nils Petersen, striker from Cottbus, top scorer in the German 2nd Division this season with 24 goals in 32 games and only 22.

I think someone''s been playing with his Wikipedia page because it says that he agreed to sign for Leeds yesterday but I can''t find anything to support that. According to a report on goal.com he has a 2.8m Euro release clause, though also according to that report he is being chased by some big clubs in Germany.

Seems like a good allrounder from the videos of him, quite tall, quite quick, good shot on him and he can head the ball.

I''d be very happy with him coming here. There''s some real talent in the Bundesliga at the moment. We''d never have a hope in hells chance but the 21-year-old just called into the national team, Marco Reus, from Gladbach and CB Pedro Geromel would be sensational.

Reading through this thread I can''t help but laughing at some of these suggestions.

As much as i would like Douglas Costa, Shay Given, Bellamy etc etc you''ve got to remember (whilst being realistic at the same time)

that we are not an established Premiership team (yet) and stop dreaming !! How many teams who have gone up have had those type of players in their first season ? None.

Its laughable! as is people suggesting players based on a few seasons playing Football Manager.

Seems like this thread has been dropped, so i''ll resurrect it. After all, we don''t want to have more than one transfer thread on here do we!

Goalkeeper

Over the course of the season, Ruddy''s form has transformed from nervous at the beginning of the season, to blindingly confident and then suddenly error prone on the brink of our promotion. When compared against our goal keepers of recent years, I would not consider him one of our best shot stoppers and would struggle in the premier league. Allied to the lack of any experience in backup, we need a talented pro to challenge Ruddy for top spot. In my view Forster, would offer us something different, though lacking in experience of relegation battles. Kieren Westwood has been mentioned but probably not the right level.

Verdict: Scott Loach - a quality young keeper with a few years under his belt at a club where youth is celebrated. On the verge of the England squad and a realistic signing at about £2.5m.

Defence

Our open style this season has meant that our defence has been exposed consistently. I feel an injection of experience is needed at the top level. I think we''ll all agree that Roger Johnson is probably out of our reach this summer, but his defensive partners has performed well.

Verdict: Scott Dann maybe also on the pricey side, but how about Liam Ridgewell (highly rated on opta) and Stephen Carr (experienced cover for Martin).

Midfield

We need steel and width! Fox at the foot of the diamond simply won''t offer enough protection in this league. We haven''t demonstrated this season that we can effectively adapt our system to provide more width if the diamond does not work. Two wingers and a tough tackling, dynamic central midfielder are needed.

Verdict: I like the sound of Tamir Cohen, but in light of the impending shake up at Blackburn, I would go for Steven N''Zonzi. A talented midfielder, tough tackler with an eye for a pass who might not be out of reach. On the wings, Eliot Bennett or albert Adomah would offer pacy solutions out wide.

Strikers

With our captain likely to be a shoo-in up front, we need better targetman backup than Wilbraham and another pacey goalscorer on our books.

Verdict: Despite a recent criminal offence, I think a loan move for Nile Ranger would be a good backup option for Holty. A move for CMS would be unwise at the price discussed a couple of months back, I would rather have Danny Graham or Shane Long. Realistically, Nicky Maynard would fit the bill.

[quote user="Hoshke"]Seems like this thread has been dropped, so i''ll resurrect it. After all, we don''t want to have more than one transfer thread on here do we! Goalkeeper Over the course of the season, Ruddy''s form has transformed from nervous at the beginning of the season, to blindingly confident and then suddenly error prone on the brink of our promotion. When compared against our goal keepers of recent years, I would not consider him one of our best shot stoppers and would struggle in the premier league. Allied to the lack of any experience in backup, we need a talented pro to challenge Ruddy for top spot. In my view Forster, would offer us something different, though lacking in experience of relegation battles. Kieren Westwood has been mentioned but probably not the right level. Verdict: Scott Loach - a quality young keeper with a few years under his belt at a club where youth is celebrated. On the verge of the England squad and a realistic signing at about £2.5m. Defence Our open style this season has meant that our defence has been exposed consistently. I feel an injection of experience is needed at the top level. I think we''ll all agree that Roger Johnson is probably out of our reach this summer, but his defensive partners has performed well. Verdict: Scott Dann maybe also on the pricey side, but how about Liam Ridgewell (highly rated on opta) and Stephen Carr (experienced cover for Martin). Midfield We need steel and width! Fox at the foot of the diamond simply won''t offer enough protection in this league. We haven''t demonstrated this season that we can effectively adapt our system to provide more width if the diamond does not work. Two wingers and a tough tackling, dynamic central midfielder are needed. Verdict: I like the sound of Tamir Cohen, but in light of the impending shake up at Blackburn, I would go for Steven N''Zonzi. A talented midfielder, tough tackler with an eye for a pass who might not be out of reach. On the wings, Eliot Bennett or albert Adomah would offer pacy solutions out wide. Strikers With our captain likely to be a shoo-in up front, we need better targetman backup than Wilbraham and another pacey goalscorer on our books. Verdict: Despite a recent criminal offence, I think a loan move for Nile Ranger would be a good backup option for Holty. A move for CMS would be unwise at the price discussed a couple of months back, I would rather have Danny Graham or Shane Long. Realistically, Nicky Maynard would fit the bill.[/quote]

OK I''ll say it, when? Before you even say it the Forest goal was a freak occourance.

I agree with all of this hoshke, out of all the places lambert needs to look at its defence. However the formation he chooses to deploy will determine what players he will go for. (obviously).

I think we need 3 new defenders, at times our defence looks clumsy and slow. this was fine for the championship but in the premiership it will be prone to fiving away free kicks and in an around the penalty area we can''t afford that against drogba, lampard, rooney, van persie (the list goes on).

I wonder whether Lambert will alternate between the diamond for attacking part 4-5-1 in defensive situations. With that in mind (from defensive 4-5-1) it will be Holt then two wingers + hoolahan + defensive midfielder (fox and new transfer) Plus our current defence but perhaps 2 more new defenders with prem or some top flight experience (somewhere) to come in and compete/replace with ward,whitbread,barnett & tierny.

I think it''s about getting the right mix of players, we don''t want a team assembled of premier league has beens neither do we have the sqaud to be able to take too many gambles on players that a 6 months - a year down the line will pay off. None of us know who Lambert will sign, be honest who saw fox and crofts last season? From the lists of peoples suggestions and free transfers ive seen muted id go for, Jonathan Greening. Matches Lambert''s leaders mold, will be a benefit to the younger in experienced players and has had succes at this level. Ditto Zoltan Gera, bit of experience, lots of quality across a range of positions and in no way strikes me as a player who is looking for a final pay day. Both of these i believe are free transfers by choice of wanting to play more. In addition i would add the cream of the championship, ala your mcgugans, mills, grahams and sinclairs. Id also be knocking around an older experienced goalkeeper, i think Wolves set a great example here with Marcus Hahneman who had been there, seen it and done it which gave henessey the time to mature into the big match environment

OK I''ll say it, when? Before you even say it the Forest goal was a freak occourance.

I''m not saying Ruddy should be dropped and despite a shaky start, he kept us in many a game through the season and like you I don''t blame Ruddy for the Forest goal but in fairness to Hoshke one of the goals we conceeded against Watford, Ruddy should have dealt with, the ball just went straight under his body - this seems to be the case with most of his errors in my opinion and is something of which he needs to work on over the break.

quote user="☆alysha "OK I''ll say it, when? Before you even say it the Forest goal was a freak occourance.

I''m not saying Ruddy should be dropped and despite a shaky start, he kept us in many a game through the season and like you I don''t blame Ruddy for the Forest goal but in fairness to Hoshke one of the goals we conceeded against Watford, Ruddy should have dealt with, the ball just went straight under his body - this seems to be the case with most of his errors in my opinion and is something of which he needs to work on over the break."

Ok "Croft''s No.1 Fan", The second goal conceded against Derby, the Graham goal against Watford and one of the Swansea goals should have been saved. For Bueno''s goal, which nearly handed the momentum back to Cardiff in the promotion race, the shot would have been saved by a better, more agile stopper.

It''s a shame but the nature of football fans is that they''re all or nothing when it comes to praise. Nothing is that one dimensional, and from what I have seen, there has been nothing to equal Forster''s save against Tranmere from Ruddy this season.

He has been a solid, commanding keeper who has not excelled at this level, and there is no evidence of him excelling prior to Norwich. His spell at Motherwell was uninspiring, according to Everton fans when selling him. He was nothing more than a bench warmer at Goodison.

The maxim that every lower league player lambert finds turning to gold will not last in the premier league.

Plus, I would hardly consider Ruddy kicking the ball into Tyson when he could have easily put it into the stands a "freak occurrence".

Shocker - a 3rd minute mistake, that could have been easily avoided and could have derailed our promotion bid

The Forest thing was a mistake, but 99 times out of 100 it would have bounced away harmlessly, and everyone would have forgotten about it. It was nowhere near as bad as Foster''s pass to Beckford (which could also have derailed our promotion bid).

I know a lot of people don''t rate the Actim index but Ruddy did come 3rd out of the keepers in that, and only a handful of points behind De Vries and Kenny.

He also made 257 saves which is the 3rd highest in the league after James and Westwood.

Ruddy is a good keeper and is improving, with 2 promising young keepers coming through the ranks it makes no sense to bring in another youngish keeper. Better to keep Ruddy as number 1, give him a chance at proving himself in the Premiership and bringing in a safe old pair of hands to play backup so that Rudd and Steer can go out on loan.