Sign in to follow this  
barclay_canary

Play offs or automatic promotion?

Which one would you prefer and why one and not the other?Ill start by saying id prefer 2nd spot.  looking at the teams in the play off places it could be very difficult for city to play home and away and then a final.  All our nerves would be shot to pieces.  As much as id love to go to wembley with City.....especially after the disapointment of cardiff a few years back.  Brilliant day out but bitterly disapointing.  there clearly good incentive for any team in the play offs.  Just look at Blackpool last year and the money they earned from winning the play off final.  I just feel that 2nd takes away all the stress and chewing of finger nails.   all we need is 3 wins and job done.

This seems a completely pointless thread. . . .

Why would anyone rather a play-off place as opposed to automatic promotion??!! Madness. Get on the microphone at FCR at half time vs Derby and ask everyone in the ground the same question . . . what unanimous answer do you think you''re going to get?? Yes play-offs are exciting and dramatic, but why go choose to go through all that when you can save yourself the aggro and achieve the same final outcome by finishing 2nd. ''Nuff said.

To be fair he hasn''t ''killed'' your thread at all. You have with your reply. He at least engaged with the concept you put forwards, just doesn''t agree with the question.

[quote user="barclay_canary"]why do you have to kill a thread before it gets a chance?  no wonder people stop posting on here. [/quote]Because this a pretty pointless question, its abit like asking ''How likes Paul Lambert'' or ''Whos happy with the result thursday''... we all know the unanimous answer. the reason this forum is dying is because people keep starting pointless threads.

BC, I''m not trying to kill it mate, I just don''t see how we''re going to get much of a useful debate out of such a topic. But that''s just my opinion . . . that''s not stopping others from posting on here. I just find it hard to fathom that any true supporter would even consider opting for play-offs over automatic promotion. As above, it would also give the club less preparation time over the close-season.

I''d love to see us play at the new Wembly, but i can wait another season until the FA cup final.

what may be a better question is if you could ''guarantee'' promotion then ask would you rather go up as second or win the playoffs, playoffs would give you a few weeks less to prepare for next season (I think Ian Hollaway mentioned this) although it would give you a fantastic day out and would be euphoria (especially if it were another late winner)

However to the original question I think EVERY city fan would take second as opposed to chancing the playoffs.

"]This seems a completely pointless thread. . . .

Why would anyone rather a play-off place as opposed to automatic promotion??!! Madness. Get on the microphone at FCR at half time vs Derby and ask everyone in the ground the same question . . . what unanimous answer do you think you''re going to get?? Yes play-offs are exciting and dramatic, but why go choose to go through all that when you can save yourself the aggro and achieve the same final outcome by finishing 2nd. ''Nuff said

Very true!

This must be the most pointless thread ever. What true fan would ever want to take the risk/lottery of the play-offs one off day and its game over any team is capable of having an off day aswell and you never know when they''re coming