Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Would other clubs sack Worthy?.

Now right from the start, I must say I''m very pro Worthy.

And even if we were relegated, then I for one, would still want him here, this time next year.

But would other clubs be as tolerant as I believe we are, and sack him?.

Third from bottom, with only two wins, and looking in trouble, and there are I believe, quite a few clubs who would get shot of him, even at this stage of the season.

But as I said, I wouldn''t replace him. If anyone can lead us back to the Premiership again, its Nigel!.

And that''ll do me just nicely, thank you. 

Let the other team''s implode and panic. We''ll just plod along quietly, and to hell with what other''s would do, or think, yes?.

I think they would, though I can''t see why!?Worthy is doing a good job in my opinion, the signing of Dean Ashton is a major coup (although the board have a hand in that too) and with the limited resources available the job he''s doing is the best expected. The worst thing we could do right now is sack Worthy, he''s turned us around since he started and the team he has built may well be enough to keep us up!Why do a West Brom or a Southampton, yes a new face can change things, but only if you have the resources to change a team or groups of players!OTBC!Chris

I think other clubs would sack him Wiz, but that would be a catastrophe in our case. I think the reason we have come so far over the last 3 -4 years is down to the consistency we''ve had in Management. We found a good young manager, and have given him the time ( and now a bit of resource ) to shape the club the way he wants. I was VERY upset when we appointed Worthy, lack of ambition by the board etc, but will gladly hold my hands and say how wrong I was.

If, heaven forbid we do go down, I am certain the board will stick by him.

I know I will.

All depends on the clubs expectations and long term aspirations.

When Norwich appointed Worthy the target was obviously promotion and a three year plan was mentioned. Well that was achieved and like Worthy said, we are now at the start of the next phase to establish ourselves as a premiership club. With the Ashton signing and long term financial viability of the club we are on the right track, my only fear would be someone bigger coming in for him

I think only an exceptionally stupid chairman/board would sack Worthy, I think he is doing a great job for us. So I''m sure some other clubs would sack him purely on league position, but there is no way he is getting sacked by Norwich this season wherever we finish. Our club has a longer term view and will trust him to spend additional Premiership earnings wisely, whether its to keep us up a second year running OR to regain promotion if the worst should happen.

I think "we''ll just plod along quietly" is a perfect thing to say, Wiz.

Look at Charlton, nobody gave them the time of day while they were establishing themselves, then suddenly it seems that "they''ve come from nowhere".

Of course they were quietly going about their business, and now they are an established and respected premier team.

No I don''t think they would.  Look at Palace.  They haven''t sacked Dowie.  I think the only reason Megson went was because he had an awful relationship with his chairman.  It is quite rare for a newly promoted club to sack their manager.  I think board''s know just how hard it is for newly promoted clubs and repect this 

I reckon that most, perhaps more high profile clubs, would have sacked him by now - even though he has got a club promoted having saved them from the threat of division 2. They are simply too greedy and want instant success.

I would hope that Norwich stick by Worthy even if we do go down, even if we don''t come back up immediatly - he has got the full support of the board and has proved his worth in the past. Obviously circumstances may change...

If we want to establish ourselves as a premiership club we do need to form a long term plan, and part of that plan should include provision for the scenario where we don''t spend next season in the premiership (I know, I shouldn''t tempt fate!). Bringing in anyone who might do a quick fix then be tempted by a larger club would be a great loss to the club, Worthy has proved he has the skills and loyalty we need and if the fans and board continue to support him my naive side would hope he has some attachment to the club too. :-)

The team he''s built and building will become "a Charlton" and unless something goes seriously wrong, the club''s management and board have my and I hope everyone''s full support.OTBC!Chris

Nigel Worthington has done a fantastic job for this club.  Any talk of him being sacked would just be sheer lunacy.

I too was appalled when he was appointed.  It smacked of lack of ambition.  A little like the appointments of Deehan and Megson by Chase.  How wrong I was.

OK he has made mistakes and continues to do so but he learns from those mistakes and his achievements are remarkable.

When he talked of a three year plan to get us promoted I don''t think I was alone in thinking he must be talking about taking us down first !!  Yet we were a penalty kick(or two) from doing it in one year.

We now have a board, team and supporters more in tune than probably any other club in the country.  FFS its only a year ago people were getting excited that we might be able to sign James O''Connor from Stoke !!!

I sincerely hope he is Norwich manager in 5 years time regardless of whether we win a single game in the rest of this season.

I think Pieman has got it spot on.

The best NCFC years were when we had some semblance of stability and continuity. Too many Chairmen just panic when things don''t quite go their way, or they fall out with the manager usually in a fundamental philosphical way. We have a well balanced Board genuinely taking a long term view and a manager who wants to succeed in the same way. They seem to work very well together. Look at how far we have come since he was appointed and compare the team now with the team then. None of us thought it would be easy and while we hope to stay up we are not the fickle arrogant type of fans possessed by some clubs whose judgement gets clouded.

Principally though we know that Nige is doing well with what he has available and only some poor finishing, bad luck and some moments of lost concentration have stopped us from being in mid table.

How Nigel manages to get the levels of performance we have seen most weeks with all the negative publicity from the likes of Lawrenson and the Daily Mirror and regular defeats is beyond me....

[quote]I think Pieman has got it spot on. The best NCFC years were when we had some semblance of stability and continuity. Too many Chairmen just panic when things don''t quite go their way, or they fall ou...[/quote]

Ye Gods, 100% agreement on a thread at last!.

But like a few other''s have said on this subject, I too, wasn''t that happy when he first was appointed.

Oh well, you live and learn.

I was wrong on that, and Nigel''s a bloody hero in my books, so I''ll be the first to apologise to him, for my early doubts about his ability.

And that doesn''t happen too often, I can tell you.  

The "sacking" clubs invariably have a chairman/board problem - rather than a manager problem.

Look at those departures this year.

Megson - poor relationship with chairman. Can''t see Robson being an inspired choice.

Harry - ditto. Rupert Lowe is remowned for his idiocy. Its got flop written all over it.

Newcastle. Again, Freddie Shepherd and the board have a lot to answer for.

And so it goes on. Boardroom attitudes.

The contrast with Norwich and Charlton is that the manager and the board are an effective unit.

Not sure about Palace - Jordan and Dowie. I expect trouble after the end of the season.

I''d prefer that we jogged along nicely rather than plodded, whilst quietly going about our business.

I''m all for Worthy, but will there come a time when the Board is not up for one of his periodic ultimatums?  What then?

OTBC.

I have had my doubts from time to time about Mr W.  Some of his "man management" has left me bemused,some of his tactics have left me confused and some of his transfers in and out have left me just plain p*ssed off  

However, it has to be said that the Club is in far better shape now than before he took over and Worthy has to have played a part in that.  He also seems to have the ability to persuade the Board to do what the majority of supporters want on the big issues - Hucks and Ashton - and have the ability to persuade players to join us.

Couple that with the fact that he has took us from the depths of the Fizzy to the depths of the Premiership , I would say that we should keep him (if we can) even if we do get relegated this year. At the end of the day, steady progress and stability has to be good thing.

A much more thoughtful note on your part FatMan, recognizing the benefit of the "steady as she goes" approach. Sounds like you''ve been sent for corporate training recently?

Yes, Wiz, other clubs would have sacked him by Xmas. But the Board and the Supporters know that he''s done a very good job for us so far, and back him - and that''s the difference. At a lot of other Clubs (especially the "big" ones), the expectation of the fans is sky high and they want the manager removed if there isn''t instant success. With clubs like ours and Palace, the fans are more realistic and appreciative. Even if, God forbid, we do go down, I am genuinely confident that we''d be back up again before very long at all. Our main problem will occur when other club Chairmen (or women!) realise how good Worthy is and try to prise him away from Carra Rudd. 

[quote]Yes, Wiz, other clubs would have sacked him by Xmas. But the Board and the Supporters know that he''s done a very good job for us so far, and back him - and that''s the difference. At a lot of other Clu...[/quote]

Ye Gods, Link. Do you really think there''s a danger of Worthy being tempted by another club?.

I hadn''t even considered that nightmare scenario.

You''ve got me all worried now!.

Sorry, Wiz, didn''t mean to make you fret! However, Worthy has shown that, despite some mistakes from time to time, he has what it takes for the Premiership. He took over a side that was playing poorly and which was low on confidence. In the next three seasons he managed a Play-off Final, then two places away from the play-off spots, then promotion, all with less of a budget than many other managers had in the Division. With a bit more luck this season we could be a lot higher up the table. Chairmen can see that he gets teams playing good football with limited resources; he also takes no nonsense from "problem players". All this adds up to an attractive proposition for other Clubs but, thankfully, he seems very happy and settled in Norfolk. It would take a lot to prise him away from us at this time, I think.