Sign in to follow this  
Canary1902

Have we upset someone??

Have viewers of the Football League show complained about how much coverage we get do you think?

Our derby day win was just shown in about 20 secs if that. And last we Manish started talking about us, and then suddenly stopped, as if the producers had told him to change the subject?

Just an observation

Who gives a shite?

Any Norwich fan whos been around for more than few years will know that the perceived image of Norwich City FC outside of East Anglia (and even some in East Anglia!) is of a little, small, lowly supported club from a backwater City that is much smaller than most other clubs in their Division!

As long as we manage to get promoted, thats all I care about!

[quote user="Canary1902"]Have viewers of the Football League show complained about how much coverage we get do you think?

Our derby day win was just shown in about 20 secs if that. And last we Manish started talking about us, and then suddenly stopped, as if the producers had told him to change the subject?

Just an observation[/quote]Last week the producers told Manish to stop talking about us in mid-sentence was because (if my memory is correct) they hadn''t actually shown our highlights yet, and he was about to spoil the result for people who didn''t know it (not that there would''ve been many, because we played the night before).And we played two days ago, so our game with the Scum is fairly old news by now. That''s why there was less of Friday''s Forest-Leicester and Leeds-Reading games than today''s Cardiff-QPR and Portsmouth-Swansea matches.

Not really sure what you were expecting. The game was 2 days ago, highlights have been on the BBC website for 24 hours and they were very complimentary of us.

I think this show has been very kind to us this season, but here''s hoping we''re not on it at all next year.

I thought how ignorant the chap was who was hosting Football Focus before the Cardiff/QPR game, mentioned all the teams in the top 6 challenging for promotion and never mentioned us until someone else pointed it out to him (TO55ER).

[quote user="BGGYPOS"]I thought how ignorant the chap was who was hosting Football Focus before the Cardiff/QPR game, mentioned all the teams in the top 6 challenging for promotion and never mentioned us until someone else pointed it out to him (TO55ER).[/quote]This has been happening a lot recently whenever conversation drifts away from the big four in the prem and down as far as the Championship promotion race on Radio TalkSport. Oddly it''s always Alan Brazil who interrupts the other presenters gushing about QPR, Swansea, Leeds, Cardiff, Forest, Reading etc to point out that Norwich are up there too, have been all season, have been playing some outstanding football and are in the box seat.

I''m not sure what you were expecting but hearing the phrase ''brilliant with the ball, brilliant without it'' didn''t strike me as being negative about us.

This is getting ridiculous.There is a constant misconception among our fans that Norwich are never given enough credit / airtime / newspaper space.It is not true.Last night, for example, Steve Claridge (who has come under some flak for exactly this) described us as something like ''near as possible to the perfect team'' or something along those lines. He also gushed with praise about Norwich and Lambert all through the Ipswich match. All the summarisers tipped Norwich for promotion, something which still is by no means cut and dried, no matter how much we''d like to believe it is.We''re going on Sky 4 times in less than a month, and we''ve also had the home derby leg on the BBC this year.This is a plain and simple case of people looking at everything through yellow and green spectacles. It''s true that QPR have received better coverage than us, but that is because they have been runaway leaders all season. Maybe Cardiff have received better coverage than us this season, but only marginally - and they do have some big name players that people are interested in. For most of the season they have been ahead of us, and so they have deserved this coverage. I think coverage has been pretty evenly shared between all of the remaining teams pushing for promotion. Remember how many of them there have been this season - and how many of them have flattered to deceive! I think media coverage in general of Norwich has been very positive (rightly so!) and given us our fair share of mentions.

[quote user="Kolin Kob"]
This is a plain and simple case of people looking at everything through yellow and green spectacles. [/quote]

Or people not watching the whole programme, some probably just watched our brief highlights and switched off. Dare I say it but it seems to me that some of the commentators think we already have it in the bag.

If my memory is correct Claridge used these phrases:

(regarding team play): "Brilliant with the ball, brilliant with out it"...

(regarding the overall performance): "Not much that can be improved upon there"...

What is there to complain about? I''m in heaven hearing those comments about my team!

We''d better enjoy it while we can - should we remain in the Championship (still a real possibility) we may not hit these heights again. Get promoted to the higher division and everything would change; we''d be seriously challenged every single week. Scraping a 1-1 draw anywhere in that league would typically be seen as some kind of accomplishment then!

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Get promoted to the higher division and everything would change; we''d be seriously challenged every single week. Scraping a 1-1 draw anywhere in that league would typically be seen as some kind of accomplishment then!

[/quote]

That''s what some said last season...

I share the frustration at the way Norwich and Norfolk in general are portrayed in the media - the "country cousin caricature" is frequently referred to in the type of ill-informed and lazy journalism that is prevalent in our press.

Some of you are probably aware of AA Gills references to Norfolk in the Sunday Times recently and in the recent Norwich by-election, when the national press was present, one national Daily reported (I paraphrase) "I''m not going to say that there is a lot of incest in the area, but there are only 5 surnames in the telephone book!"

Some are stoical about this and say that it doesn''t matter, but I am convinced that it costs the area and the city jobs and investment. Likewise the football club loses out as well - "little old Norwich" compared to the "giants" of Blackburn, Wigan, Bolton, Birmingham, West Brom etc.

AA Gill is an odious man of sparingly little literary talent, I would worry not. I have to say that I am indifferent to the attitude of "the rest of the world" to Norfolk and Norwich. Few places come to close to the beautiful streets of the fine city, and few teams have come close to matching us on the field this season. The longer that the ignorant remain blissfully unaware of our existence, the longer we can enjoy it for ourselves, free of the petulant rudeness that riddles our media today.

[quote user="Fellas"]AA Gill is an odious man of sparingly little literary talent, I would worry not.

I have to say that I am indifferent to the attitude of "the rest of the world" to Norfolk and Norwich. Few places come to close to the beautiful streets of the fine city, and few teams have come close to matching us on the field this season. The longer that the ignorant remain blissfully unaware of our existence, the longer we can enjoy it for ourselves, free of the petulant rudeness that riddles our media today.
[/quote]

And free from those Nosey Scouts, I don''t give a Monkeys. And while we are at it lets Ban the TV camera''s all together.

I really don''t see what the problem is with our TV coverage. As previously mentioned we''re on Sky four times in a month, and frequently throughout the season been the featured team on the Football League Show. Which everyone must admit is so much better than ITV''s showing over the previous few seasons.

Yes, Dan Walker forgot to mention us yesterday. He also then got berated by City supporters (me included) on Twitter and swiftly apologised. Everyone makes mistakes, and we got a love-in from the others on the show. Which if anything, annoys me more. After Lawrenson''s ''concern'' for us after the Col U match, I''d prefer if he never mentioned us again.

I have to say I am not entirely fussed about our television coverage.

Id rather the media focussed on so called ''big clubs'' such as Leeds watching them get nowhere whilst we go quietly about our business churning out fantastic results and football without the added pressure and media hype!

I can understand however that it would be nice to see our own team being banded about on national TV in a positive manner!

Fellas - I note the London/ Gorleston reference in your details.

Do you work in London - which would sort of make my point in a way. (If you don''t, of course, it won''t!)

[quote user=" Badger"]Fellas - I note the London/ Gorleston reference in your details.

Do you work in London - which would sort of make my point in a way. (If you don''t, of course, it won''t!)[/quote]I''m a student at LSE, and probably soon to be grad student at UCL. But in the locals when I wear my shirt it tends to be the usual "Let''s Be Having You"/"Farmers" nonsense or in many cases just plain confusion as to what club I am supporting....Thankfully I now live in Kennington, which I have to say is one of the most pleasant parts of London to live in. Of course it doesn''t come close to my home in Norfolk!

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user=" Badger"]Fellas - I note the London/ Gorleston reference in your details.

Do you work in London - which would sort of make my point in a way. (If you don''t, of course, it won''t!)[/quote]I''m a student at LSE, and probably soon to be grad student at UCL. But in the locals when I wear my shirt it tends to be the usual "Let''s Be Having You"/"Farmers" nonsense or in many cases just plain confusion as to what club I am supporting....Thankfully I now live in Kennington, which I have to say is one of the most pleasant parts of London to live in. Of course it doesn''t come close to my home in Norfolk![/quote]I should add that whilst the opportunities for employment available in London are in many ways superior to those in East Anglia, the same could be said for most of the country. Unfortunately this country is very London-centric, and I can''t see that changing for a good while.

I infact disagree with most of what people are saying. I believe we actually get lots of coverage. Maybe not as much as teams like Leeds, but we''re certainly top 5 out of 72 teams on the FLS over the last two seasons, so we can hardly complain, really?!?!?

Fellas - yes I was an economic migrant myself for many years. I lived for some years quite near to you, near Clapham Junction. It took me many years before I was in a position to move back home to Norwich - and then took a big pay cut!

Seems you might be facing the long commute for home games that experienced for years!

I agree with your point about the country being London centric but many other jobs go to other parts of the country for no good reason (except our transport system) other than the perception that we are all yokels. I have heard it said for instance that the reason our home gates are so good is that there is nothing else to do in Norfolk!

Pretty sure we''ve played more games on Sky lately than most Premiership sides and we''ve got another one coming up on TV! Can''t moan about coverage really.

[quote user=" Badger"]Fellas - yes I was an economic migrant myself for many years. I lived for some years quite near to you, near Clapham Junction. It took me many years before I was in a position to move back home to Norwich - and then took a big pay cut!

Seems you might be facing the long commute for home games that experienced for years!

I agree with your point about the country being London centric but many other jobs go to other parts of the country for no good reason (except our transport system) other than the perception that we are all yokels. I have heard it said for instance that the reason our home gates are so good is that there is nothing else to do in Norfolk![/quote]Yep, have to hold out hope that I can pick up something one day back in Norwich. Had to give my season ticket up this year, as the cost (mainly the train fares, and the time) was just too much, but I might try and get one again as it''s been hell sitting around on a Saturday watching the pink''un live text!!

My Favourite was Last year.

The day we won the title the League One headline on the Football League show was ''Leeds win to maintain a firm grip on 2nd place''

and then in other news, Norwich have won the league.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Who gives a shite?

Any Norwich fan whos been around for more than few years will know that the perceived image of Norwich City FC outside of East Anglia (and even some in East Anglia!) is of a little, small, lowly supported club from a backwater City that is much smaller than most other clubs in their Division!

As long as we manage to get promoted, thats all I care about![/quote]Thats probably your proplem glen,age lol ;) bro used to say same thing,but since the high placings in the top div late 80`s,and the great team(not as good as this one!) of the early 90`s, a lotta clubs and especially fans see us as a big club..This was pointed out to me when in london,talking to spurs fans just after xmas..They hoped we make it back and see us as a mid table prem side that hasnt performed in the last decade,and clubs like wigan and blackpool who before promotion,didnt get enough in the ground to buy a decent round at halftime,shouldnt be in the prem..If you scour other message boards,you will be suprised how many others,including leeds fans! see us as a club that should be playing higher....

Hudders fans said the same thing last year in that pub before the bridge...And compimented that for a big club,we didnt come over as billy big boots like leeds fans apparently did....

Again according to bro,in the past, any club that wanted our players,got them!

Or we would try to make it known they are available!

I think that real footy fans, fans who follow their club by going to games and follow footy closely now realise that we''re not a little club but theirs still many ignorants who just listen to stereotypes that would say that a club like Crystal Palace are bigger than us just because they are from London amd Cardiff city are bigger cause they are from a bigger City!

God what a load of self pitying griping. We are second amd looking to go up so what the media says matters little.

What does matter is enjoying yourselves, and in that light I refer you to the highlights of the derby game and in particular to a funny little half hearted attempt at blocking Pachecos goal on the line by the binner number 4 - not a very convincing slide at all (on 2 mins)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/9465768.stm

STOP. Everyone STOP!

I wrote this post whilst watching the FLS, and all of Claridge''s comment were afterwards when they did a sum up of the race for second. Admittedly, he praised us

But as I say, I wrote this before