Sign in to follow this  
The Voice Of Reason

Portsmouth Away

I have read alot of print regarding how difficult this game is gonna be, and was a bit concerned.

However, my mood has just lifted,

WE ARE GOING TO STUFF POMPEY!!!

Why?

I have just reread the match report when Pompey beat us at home earlier this season, Holt wasn''t playing and their keeper was outstanding on a day when Jackson couldn''t score and Leon Barnet got sent off.

Those factors are somewhat different now, coupled with the fact that we don''t seem to let teams do the double over us now.

Think happy thoughts people!

I really do hope you''re right. I was fearing a really difficult game against the Scum last week, seeing it as a potential banana skin and in the event we walked all over them. I can''t remember many decent results away at Pompey in the past though. Although their squad is apparently down to bare bones Nugent is still a quality player - he scored a cracker on Saturday and he did us at Carrow Rd.  So perhaps it''s best to prepare ourselves mentally for another mammoth battle. I fancy that for all Middlesbrough''s decent form Cardiff will be too strong for them at home so another win for us - playing later in the day than them - is a must. 

As you say, i can''t remember a victory at Pompey. Pretty sure we lost down there even in the season before they were promoted as champions when they were nearly relegated.Pete, perhaps you could do the honours here. Last victory at Fratton Park? I gather when they did us this season they hadn''t won at CR for 23 years so perhaps it''s a similar stat and we can return the favour! Concerned about fitness of Holt and Whitbread though. This could all rest on Burnley on the last day of the season! Let''s just hope Middlesborough pull something out of the hat and save us all the stress! We stepped up when asked to go first v Binners, how will Cardiff do?

I can very well see us getting a point at Pompey (at worst) and Cardiff beating Middlesbrough. Hearts will be deflated no doubt if Cardiff leap frog us with one game to go, but on that final day of the season I can also very well see us beating Cov and Burnley and Cardiff sharing the points - all of which would see us promoted. It''s just too close to call. Time to buy some more loo rolls!! 

you''re right Jules, it''s brown trousers.

Im heading to Pompey next week, safe in the knowledge that City aren''t going to make it easy but confident we will get the result. Much has been said about previous form against Portsmouth, and indeed about our losing habits when playing on Sky, however, this season has been one which has torn up all form/habits and the guts that our present squad have consistently shown this season will suffice.

The 96th minute goal yesterday, against the backdrop of our general play falling apart in the final 15 minutes amidst much time-wasting, is testament to such gutsiness and belief.

OTBC

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]When was the last time a club did the double over City?

I''m too lazy to try & find out myself, it just seems a very long while ago![/quote]Reading on 27 April 2009.