Sign in to follow this  
vendy18

holt?

Holt had a fairly quiet day yesterday IMO he was quiet in the box, however Holt still ploughs on and does his best to battle till the end!

It is a possibility he is still getting twinges from his hamstring however I am glad the team have a week to recover. I have a feeling he will be back to his great normal self monday :)

Didn''t have his best game, yet still played a huge part in the first and third goal.

That for me sums him up. Even when he''s not completely ''on it'', he''s still able to play a big role in us winning.

He did look pretty tired though. 180 more minutes and he can have a nice long holiday!

I''m pretty sure he''s carrying an injury and has been patched up. He didn''t look at his best yesterday.

He is definitely not fit. He didn''t put himself about like he usually does, was not harrassing defenders as much as usual. I actually thought he was pretty ineffective all game. I hope Grant is in better shape for next Monday.

[quote user="Archie"]He is definitely not fit. He didn''t put himself about like he usually does, was not harrassing defenders as much as usual. I actually thought he was pretty ineffective all game. I hope Grant is in better shape for next Monday.
[/quote]

Absolutely right - he was a passenger for almost all the game in reality. With no Vokes and no Wilbraham I think his fitness is now a major concern. Personally I would have brought Chris Martin on instead of Pacheco yesterday. The boy must be as fresh as a daisy and desperate to play. Martin can win games and 20 mins. or so yesterday would have got him right back in the mix.

Holt and Zak must be fit for Pompey otherwise I think it''s playoffs. Fratton Park is intimidating and they will want to end their home campaign on a high. Oh, and there''s Nugent! Don''t get me wrong, we can win there but with all the pressure to do so and Holt at best sent out ''patched up'', it could fall apart.

When was the nearest equivalent to Pompey match in terms of significance and absolute ''must win''? Er, yes, Craven Cottage 2005, we know what happened there!     

Agree with most of that YR, except to say that if Holt is really patched up, Lambert would have half an eye on getting match time for CMart and would have done exactly as you say and brought him on. Plus i don''t think it''s comparable to suggest that we might "do a Fulham". With the exception of Swansea, when we were beaten by a couple of exceptional goals, every time we''ve had a major game in the last two seasons requiring the team to step up to the plate, we have delivered and performed outstandingly. If you take last season, i''d say the first such occasion was Leeds away, which ok we lost but we were still half way down league 1 at that stage and establishing oursleves as a team while they were 11 clear and flying, yet we outplayed them.. Then Colchester away, Southampton away, Huddersfield away, Leeds at home, Charlton away. And this season, all the recent games since we lost to Swansea and drew with Watford, have been must win games, in front of the sky cameras or in the derby (both times), where we have had to win to keep auto promo in our hands. I agree we will need Zak and Holt as fit as possible and it''s a worry, but let''s just see how they are after a full week. I still have a feeling we haven''t seen the last of CMart this season.