Sign in to follow this  
Canary1902

So who has 'The Edge' next monday?

With Cardiff playing before us, who has the advantage do we think?

If Cardiff win, they put us under massive pressure to go back 2nd. If they lose, would the pressure be greater knowing that a win would see us promoted?

I think both teams will feel the pressure to get automatic promotion with 2 games to go. Cardiff are under arguably more pressure, as they know they not only have to keep winning but have to rely on us dropping points somewhere, or it''s another playoff gamble for them. When it comes to the games themselves... I think Cardiff have the trickier game, Boro are ending the season with some real determination.

Id say Cardiff, all eyes will be on them and anything less than a win will put the 2nd spot almost beyond them. Middlesborough have also hit abit of form and I wouldnt expect them to have an easy match at all.

The best result before we play would be for Watford to beat QPR which is more likely than Boro taking points off Cardiff. Norwich would then go out with the mentality that QPR are catchable.

I fully expect Cardiff to win and win well, thus throwing massive pressure on us in a very tricky away game.

Would love if Watford stole all 3pts against QPR - extra impetus for sure and then they''ve got to play Leeds away final game (who may have something to play for). I think knowing the Cardiff result may help and wouldn''t write Boro off at all because they''ve upped things recently and look much better as a unit. Just depends which Boro we get I suppose. It''s all about us though and that extra time to prepare will hopefully help us rather than hinder. I think I kind of prefer playing after Cardiff..

Mainly due to the fact Cardiff are at home against Borough I would say they have the slight edge. That and the fact that if they do, as i expect, and win - the pressure will well and truly be on us!

Having said that, and looking at the bigger picture, we have a home tie on the last game of the season and Cardiff are away to Burnley.

Its going to be tight!

Exactly..if we can win against Pompey then I really fancy us to do it because of the fact we''re at home on the final day being cheered on by 27k plus and Cardiff will be playing away where Burnley are very hard to beat and hopefully they''ll still be on the brink of playoffs!

[quote user="CDMullins"]I fully expect Cardiff to win and win well, thus throwing massive pressure on us in a very tricky away game.[/quote]

PL will plan on the basis that Cardiff will win anyway; therefore there will be no change in our approach to the Portsmouth and Coventry games from any other. Whilst Cardiff may be just as focussed as Norwich (in terms of what they need to achieve), PL will have our boys far more composed. German mentality if you like - the well-engineered machine is ticking over ready to ''red-line'' on two very important occassions in the next few days. If I were in any other team, I wouldn''t want to play Norwich right now would you?

I agree that PL will go on the basis that Cardiff will win - he''ll make sure the lads are concentrating on Pompey alone and preparing for that whilst Cardiff are playing out their match with Boro. We''ve taken the lead a lot recently and hopefully we can do that again and kill any Pompey momentum. Can barely wait now..just hope the team makes the most of the days off to recharge

I would imagine that PL will do everything he can to keep the players in the dark over the Cardiff result.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]The best result before we play would be for Watford to beat QPR which is more likely than Boro taking points off Cardiff. Norwich would then go out with the mentality that QPR are catchable.[/quote]

Agree with this - QPR don''t have the title yet, especially with the threat of a points deduction. Watford are just the sort of team they have trouble with and they have Leeds on the last day.

I don''t see Cardiff being troubled too much by Middlesbro and we have the hardest task on Monday without question - neither Swansea or Burnley have managed to beat Portsmouth in the last two games.

I suspect that at close of play on Monday Cardiff may be 1 or 2 pts ahead of us going into the last games of the season. I think and hope they will then go on to lose and us win

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote]does anyone know if the Cardiff game will be on TV?[/quote] It''s a Sky double bill, on before our game.
[/quote]

Brilliant, thanks

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="CDMullins"]I fully expect Cardiff to win and win well, thus throwing massive pressure on us in a very tricky away game.[/quote]

PL will plan on the basis that Cardiff will win anyway; therefore there will be no change in our approach to the Portsmouth and Coventry games from any other. Whilst Cardiff may be just as focussed as Norwich (in terms of what they need to achieve), PL will have our boys far more composed. German mentality if you like - the well-engineered machine is ticking over ready to ''red-line'' on two very important occassions in the next few days. If I were in any other team, I wouldn''t want to play Norwich right now would you?

[/quote]

No, but id rather be playing Middlesborough at home than Pompy away.

i will be nipping up big time, stupid me booked a holiday and will miss not only one but two games now portsmouth is on sky!!!!! i just have to pray and hope we have internet connection to listen to it on canary player!!!!

I too think we will go into the final game a point or two behind Cardiff , everything could depend on Burnley still having a hope of the play offs on the final day and looking at the fixtures that seems highly unlikely now . Could have done without the Portsmouth game being on tv actually , that in itself will give them something to play for , can we win five on the bounce ? i fear that.s what we will need . Also i would not fancy the chances of whoever  loses this monumental battle for 2nd in the play offs one little bit , beat Portsmouth and we will be red hot favourites lose or draw and its probably another season in the Championship.

Bit of a pessimist are you.  Did you not notice we scored in the 96th minute? surely this tells you something.  Its in the stars.  Pompey feild 4 subs again, whereas we have rising stars to come off the bench.  If we can''t beat Pompey convincingly in their current state and playing as confidently as we are, maybe promotion not for us!

[quote user="Canary1902"]So who has ''The Edge'' next monday?[/quote]Is that a new Real Ale? I don''t think it has reached the Albion in Gorleston yet, I will have to settle for what they have got.

[quote user="pete"]Bit of a pessimist are you.  Did you not notice we scored in the 96th minute? surely this tells you something.  Its in the stars.  Pompey feild 4 subs again, whereas we have rising stars to come off the bench.  If we can''t beat Pompey convincingly in their current state and playing as confidently as we are, maybe promotion not for us![/quote]

I was confident of getting a result at Pompey till I read your post - The words ''Doncaster at home'' springs to mind, Pete ;)

Joking apart, Fratton Park will be very tough and if I''m honest I''m concerned about this match much more than I am Coventry. We''ve got what it takes to win for sure, but I''d like to see Middlesborough do the business first.

I doubt either side has an edge. If Cardiff drop any points you can be assured Dave Jones will make out we had an advantage if we go on to win. However if they win and we don''t Lambert won''t be such a cry baby.

It''s because our club has so much class that we won''t slip up. Cardiff just look for excuses "just in case".

I think the pressure on Cardiff will be immense, especially if they go a goal behind and the supporters get on their back.  Middlesboro are on a good run at the moment and its not going to be easy for the Welshies

Remember as well how people thought Ipswich would be a tough game - humiliated at Carrow Road, still in with a chance of the Playoffs (Ipswich would have been 3 points off if they had beaten us) - Holt not fully fit.  All added up to a point if we were lucky - and you know how that finished

PL wont underestimate Pompey - but our away record is pretty good and if Cardiff DONT win the pressure is less.  Even if Cardiff win, I think we''ll still get some kind of result down there and then we''ll do the business at the Carra whilst Burnley beat the Bluebirds at Turf Moor