Sign in to follow this  
Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?

Anybody remember Norwich City 2 Crystal Palace 1 in the early 1970s?

Yes TFA, I was there. I was 14,  standing on the fencing at the back of the stand cos it was so packed. The roar when we scored in the last couple of minutes was the only other time I can remember a cellebration on par with the winner yesterday. Same sort of feeling just absolute relief and joy at the same time

72/73 season I think. It''s that intake of air just before the exclamation that seems to hit you deep down.

If I say I was there someone will be along  shortly to say they knew all 35,987 and I wasn''t![:D]

I was in the South Stand, but, being a kid at the time, don''t remember the goal, only the celebrations. Specifically, some bloke next to me actually gave me a massive bear hug ...

I seem to remember that that game sent Crystal Palace down, and Palace had actually taken the lead.

Yes, I remember it well. I would say it was the most memorable moment for me whilst I have been a supporter- it was actually better than yesterday as it kept us in the top division. I was also in the South Stand at the time and it was packed with standing supporters. Bring back terraces!

The Palace win was right up there with my memories of great nights - 36000 blowing the roof off.

Its part of a great history - but today''s kids should remember yesterday and the other big finishes recently - these will be legendary in 40 years time and will be remembered with equal fondness - you will be able to say "I was there."

I was there, the train from Lowestoft was late and we were locked out with hundreds of others.

Eventually they opened a big side gate and let us in ( for free!). We were already a goal down to a penalty but we were in time to see Colin Suggets equaliser.

The winner came from a corner I think, if I remember right we had another game to play, so I don''t know how the maths of the situation worked out.

Night game if I remember. Hige crowd going over Carrow Bridge, queued for ages to get in through a turnstile on the corner of the Barclay and the Main Stand. Those were the days that I coul;d get in through the OAP & Juniors turnstile then wander round to the bar and get a brown and mild.

No chance that night. People were queued all up the steps getting onto the side of the Barclay so I scambled up the bank and walked aslong the bamk behind the Barclay. Manged to get to the gate into the bit behind the goal then wriggled and shoved my way half way down. Most of the time you had to fight to keep your feet on the terrace and when Stringer scored right at the end everyone just surged forward and fell over.

If you want some idea of that have a look at the bottom of the snakepit after yesterdays 3rd goal - then imagine about a third of the Barclay being like that.

It was chaos getting out. I had come up on a coach and we were parked up on Castle Meadow. I know we were very late leaving as we had to wait for stragglers. No mobiles in those days. Everything was much more relaxed and dare I say it more fun.

My abiding memory of that bit was an old couple who when they finally hove to across the carpark the driver started up the engine and began to slowly move away. Eadie, Huckerby and Jackson eat your heart out, these two were a wonder to see as they frantically weaved their way through the cars.

The driver then asking them, when they finally got on board, " where ya bin the pair of ya, I wuss jus about ta go ". It was a good few mile up the road before they recovered and it dawned on them that he had been having a laugh.

Happy days

That was the same season the Chelsea game was abandoned because of fog 85th min or something.Stood in the old South stand 32000 crowd.

I also remember that season for losing the Texaco cup (2 legged) to a certain team aggregate 4-2. Ah the good old days!!

I was there - stood on a stool (I was only 9) about two thirds up the River End just to the left of the goal - a position I occupied for about five seasons until I graduated to the Barclay End.  I seem to remember the winner was quite late (although that is probably memory playing tricks) and that it came after an almighty onslaught.  Definitely a great night.

What a night that was, I was also in the south stand, you could''nt move & when we scored the hole place went mad, city fans were up in the roof structure trying to get a better view of the game. also does anyone remember Colin Suggett scoring with a diving header at the River End aganist Man U & knocking them out of the cup that was a night game also. Thanks for stirring up some great memories.

P.S Man Utd fan falling through the Barclay roof, as a thirteen year old we all got moved out of the Barclay & sat along the touch line of the Main stand now the City stand,

Ah. What memories. More tears of joy and emotion.

I was in the River End that night. Nothing better than standing on the terraces, well until you get to my age!

What with being put through the ringer for the last two seasons and now this thread ........ Nurse I now need your medical skills, so put your clothes on! :)

Remember it Tangy ?........if you were there on 24th April 1973 it''s one you''ll never, ever, forget. Whoever lost that night would almost certainly be relegated so it wouldn''t be too far wrong to say the atmosphere was more than a little tense.....I sat in the old Enclosure - on rock hard tip-up planks at the front of what is now the City Stand - in a crowd of over 36,000. When Palace scored through Don Rogers we thought it was all over. It got to 1-1 and it still seemed all over. Our saviour Dave Stringer thought otherwise with a diving header at the River End in what must have been the 93rd minute to keep us in the top Division with just one away game, at Stoke, to come. ( don''t try and tell me that '' Norwich Time '' only started this season ) There was pandemonium everywhere inside the ground. The noise was truly deafening and it must have louder than that heard yesterday as there was 10,000 more fans packed into Carrow Road to make it. Norwich were safe.....Palace were down.I queued up and paid 80p for my ticket on the day. Even with Coventry tickets at a measly £33.00 no one will be doing that on May 7th but I''ll bet if it all goes right, but for a completely different reason, the roar will bring back plenty of other memories of that Tuesday night nearly 40 years ago.