Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

So what if Cardiff draw with Boro??!!??

This scenario has been mentioned on other threads, but what would we do in this situation?

Going into our match with Portsmouth level with Cardiff , but with a worse goal diff of 1. A draw would put if back in our hands going into the last match, however a defeat would see us going into the last match with a "possibly" unassailable goal diffs of -2 (or more) behind Cardiff.

Would it be worth going all out for win to risk the second senario??, could this be the first time under Lambert that the temptation is to go for the draw??

Why would he go for a draw? If there is an opourtunity to open the gap between us and Cardiff then we will go for it. No offense but silly question really, when has Lambert ever not gone for a win?

[quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]Why would he go for a draw? If there is an opourtunity to open the gap between us and Cardiff then we will go for it. No offense but silly question really, when has Lambert ever not gone for a win?[/quote]

so, it''s 0-0 with 10 mins to go , and you''d rather see us go all out for a win,rather than take the point and leave ourselves open at the back, when we would slit our own throats with a defeat and in all probability cost ourselves promotion???

The pressure of playing in front of their own fans knowing they must win will be a huge weight for Cardiff to carry. I think boro will be relaxed and subsequently beat Cardiff. We will then Know that victory will send us up, unfortunately if we don''t win I can see us slipping up against Coventry and Cardiff winning at burnley to go up at our expense.

So to summarise I think we will get a chance to secure promotion at pompey, If we don''t take it I can see the pressure getting to us and throwing it away on the last day. One things for sure I don''t see both us and Cardiff winning both games

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Crofts Number 1 Fan"]Why would he go for a draw? If there is an opourtunity to open the gap between us and Cardiff then we will go for it. No offense but silly question really, when has Lambert ever not gone for a win?[/quote] so, it''s 0-0 with 10 mins to go , and you''d rather see us go all out for a win,rather than take the point and leave ourselves open at the back, when we would slit our own throats with a defeat and in all probability cost ourselves promotion???[/quote]

Knowing us, if we tried to hold onto a draw we would probably lose to a last minute goal. In any scenario, we should continue to attack, thus sticking to our strengths and trying to score further to allay any nerves. We are not good at defending so I would not want to rely on it, especially in such a vital game. I am absolutely sure that Lambert will go for the win.

You play to win, no questions asked.

However, Cardiff will win on Saturday. Football is a funny old game, but not that funny that Cardiff won''t win!

I think if I were Paul Lambert I would not allow the players to find out the result from Boro vs. Card if City. They have to play like that game is the only game of  the season in the 2 team league of Norwich and Portsmouth. Like this is the FA Cup Final against Portsmouth. The result of the Boro vs. Card if doesn''t really matter because all the guys need to do is win. If they win they even might get promoted at Fratton Park, subject to Boro defeating Card if. And on that matter, the chance of Boro defeating Card if is huge. They have a proven manager who has taken West Brom out of this league, and a squad of former Premier League players and SPL stars. They are just starting to roll into form after beating Hull 4-2 and some other results catapulting them up the starting and close to If shit. (If shit=Ipswich and no shit=Norwich). They have even amongst them players who have played in the final of the UEFA Cup (now Europa League) so it''s not like they have a squad the strength of Barnsley or Doncaster. They have a squad of Premier League strength which has severely underperformed this season.

I fancy Middlesborough to get something. A win seems unlikely but I think with their current form a draw is not out of the question. Lambert is always saying play for the win but if you can''t do that than don''t get beat. I don''t think in the scenario above we would go for it like we did against Derby and may well end up drawing ouselves.

Who says we couldn''t make a couple of points GD up on the last day if we knew we probably need a big win vs Cov?

The Boro striker who has been knocking all the goals in is going to miss the match and as much as Boro''s form has picked up lately i dont see them posing any threat to Cardiff , its best to assume we will need two wins ,anything less will be a bonus.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Football would be a very funny old game indeed if Cardiff win on Saturday - since they''re playing on Monday!!! (Just like us).[/quote]

Good point! But I still don''t see Cardiff slipping up.

If they draw, we have to draw (at least). If we''re level with a few minutes to go, then of course ''go for the win'', but don''t do what we did against Derby and chuck people like Elliot Ward forward.

If they win, we have to win. Simple as that.

If they lose, we should go all-out for the win.

I''m not so sure that Cardiff are as nailed on to win against Boro as some think; they are capable of giving it a good go - certainly as good as Derby vs us, for example. Pressure can take its toll on sides, particularly those who have faltered before (ie Cardiff) and where there is a high level of expectation. Boro are no pushovers - they beat Hull away the other day and have had some decent results this season (drew away at the binners when they were on their ''good'' (he he) run...). They may well be able to do us a favour....

TeamPldWDLFAGDGFAGAA PpGPtsForm
1Reading (5)861116882.001.002.3719LdWwwWWw
2Cardiff City (3)8530209112.501.122.2518wDWwwWdD
3Norwich City (2)85212211112.751.372.1217WwWdlWdW
4Millwall (7)852117892.121.002.1217wWlDWwDw
5Middlesbrough (15)8431181532.251.871.8715WwlDdwDW
6Queens Park Rangers (1)843111831.371.001.8715DdDwlWwW

On current form, Boro have a decent chance of getting something

I reckon PL should tell the players the Cardiff score before kickoff but only if CCFC win or lose.

Cardiff win - players know they have to go for the win to keep the chance of reaching the big time.

Cardiff lose - players know a win will mean promotion, and an early holiday!

If Cardiff draw, it''s Paul Lambert time. Whether to push for a win leaving gaps at the back, or be happy with a draw? I''ll leave that one to PL!

Leroy L to be back for Boro to replace top scorer.  Irrelevant post however we will beat Pompey.  Kitson injured, Kanu 80 years old to play 90 mins, will Kitson want to score?  I cannot see their defence living with Simeon.  City by 2 or 3.  Keep the faith.  Boro result would be good.

This will go down to the last game with the situation changing every 15 mins or so. Everyone will be nervous aand on the edge as the ones with radios etc keep us updated with the changing scoreline at Burnley. Then we will get the last minute winner that does the job. Hope so anyway

I''ll be crappin'' myself for the last game unable to attend the match as there''s no tickets anywhere, unable to listen to the radio as I live in York and can''t get a live radio Norfolk feed, and unable to watch on tv because it''s not televised..so bloody updates online for me or sky sports news at a friend''s..

However, I am seriously considering coming down to Norwich just to at least enjoy the atmosphere of the city and be able to listen to it on the radio at a friend''s place..got to be worth it right? At least he/they will understand the nervousness and tension and be able to go through it with me

[quote user="Jin - York Canary"]

I''ll be crappin'' myself for the last game unable to attend the match as there''s no tickets anywhere, unable to listen to the radio as I live in York and can''t get a live radio Norfolk feed, and unable to watch on tv because it''s not televised..so bloody updates online for me or sky sports news at a friend''s..

However, I am seriously considering coming down to Norwich just to at least enjoy the atmosphere of the city and be able to listen to it on the radio at a friend''s place..got to be worth it right? At least he/they will understand the nervousness and tension and be able to go through it with me

[/quote]

Sky are covering the last day games - they''ll be at every ground where there''s something to play for I believe if prior years anything to go by

"Sky are covering the last day games - they''ll be at every ground where there''s something to play for I believe if prior years anything to go by"

or subscribe to canaryplayer, thats what I have to do for away games when I''m in Nottingham, well worth it in my opinion

Well the BBC and Sky have one Championship game each for the last day of the season. I wouldn''t be surprised if Cardiff and Norwich aren''t on one of those two.

"so, it''s 0-0 with 10 mins to go , and you''d rather see us go all out for a win"

If we had not done that on Saturday then your post would be pretty much academic. We need two wins to guarantee promotion. what do you think the player or manager are going to be doing whether its 90 or 10 mins ?

Form - absolute nonsense.

The binners had won five of the last six games (or so) and then were stuffed by us. Reading on a six or so game win then beaten at home by almost relegated Sheff Utd. Scunny hammed six by us then turn over QPR 4-1.

Don''t tell the players the score - more nonsense.

The Cardiff game will have finished well before we kick off. Does lambert have the ability to ensure that no player has a mobile phone(text). That no person be it staff, stewards or 20,000 fans are allowed to mention the score to our players. No opposition player who ,ight feel it is his teams interest to have City players know the Cardiff result.

We will do what Lambert has been doing pretty much since he took over. Going out to win. Whether Cardiff have drawn or lost matters only as it will be a bonus or bring the decision closer.The players know what has to be done. That was why they continued to push for goals against scunny and scummy - get the goal.

That attacking spirit is why we grabbed another last minute goal on Monday. An absolutely multi million pound goal. Without it (and the two points) we could have been kicking off at Pompey knowing that it could be all over were the results to go against us.

As it is, however the results go against us at Pompey we are still in with a shout on the following Saturday. And whatever Cardiff do they cannot stop us if we go out to win, and get those wins.

[quote user="City1st"]"so, it''s 0-0 with 10 mins to go , and you''d rather see us go all out for a win" If we had not done that on Saturday then your post would be pretty much academic. We need two wins to guarantee promotion. what do you think the player or manager are going to be doing whether its 90 or 10 mins ? Form - absolute nonsense. The binners had won five of the last six games (or so) and then were stuffed by us. Reading on a six or so game win then beaten at home by almost relegated Sheff Utd. Scunny hammed six by us then turn over QPR 4-1. Don''t tell the players the score - more nonsense. The Cardiff game will have finished well before we kick off. Does lambert have the ability to ensure that no player has a mobile phone(text). That no person be it staff, stewards or 20,000 fans are allowed to mention the score to our players. No opposition player who ,ight feel it is his teams interest to have City players know the Cardiff result. We will do what Lambert has been doing pretty much since he took over. Going out to win. Whether Cardiff have drawn or lost matters only as it will be a bonus or bring the decision closer.The players know what has to be done. That was why they continued to push for goals against scunny and scummy - get the goal. That attacking spirit is why we grabbed another last minute goal on Monday. An absolutely multi million pound goal. Without it (and the two points) we could have been kicking off at Pompey knowing that it could be all over were the results to go against us. As it is, however the results go against us at Pompey we are still in with a shout on the following Saturday. And whatever Cardiff do they cannot stop us if we go out to win, and get those wins.[/quote]

Completely agree. We are a team who has got to 2nd postition with only 2 games to go because of an attacking mentality, not becasue of a tight defence. It doesn''t matter if Cardiff win, lose or draw - our fate is in our own hands, win these next two games and we are promoted.

No doubt is impossible team to not understand Cardiff was win or not just before our game.

Simply away fans with his reaction''s and his face''s will be easy o players to undertsand what happen with Cardiff.

Seems if they loose by Boro for us deffeat or point at Pompey is almost same I not see big difference so if this happen (unlikly know)and we is draw 10 min to go we must try must win.

[quote user="Jin - York Canary"]

[/quote]Relegation matters are all but sorted so if we''re not promoted at Portsmouth, it will definitely be televised don''t worry about it.