Sign in to follow this  
Nobodys Perfect

Message boards, do they help or make you feel worse?

What did we do before the internet? Every second of everything NCFC, every snippet of news or gossip, every emotion, highs or low, every permutation, every prediction are all laid bare for us to consume 24 hours a day. We can now read ALL the newspaper match reports without leaving the house and even read what other club''s fans and managers think of us by going on their boards, but does it make you even more nervous in these days of high excitement, or do you take comfort and solace in the fact that we all feel the same, we''re all in this together with feelings ranging from deep joy and pride at our current situation, to high anxiety about what may unfold in the next few days. Years ago, we''d just switch off after games, buy a Pink''un, read the back page of the EDP in the newsagent, chat down the pub and then watch Match Of The Week. (Gerry Harrison was always so calm.) Now though, there''s no escape from this "torture" except for taking the dog on the beach or going to a garden centre. No dog, no garden? Well, just turn on your PC and join in with everyone else on here who''s suffering, it''ll make you feel better. Or will it?

There''s a thread on here about the Palace game in ''73. Thinking back to those days shows how much times have changed. Back then we didn''t even know the score at away games ''til the result came through on the teleprinter. Even when you knew it there were no details until the Pink Un hit the streets. Away night games would be a total mystery until the next morning. Sometimes you could find out the result but any details would have to wait ''til the morning paper arrived. If it was a Saturday the you could go to the ressies and they would solemnly announce the score at various times. "The news from Fratton Park is Portsmouth 1 The City 4" But then you''d have to wait for the Pink Un to find out that "Bennett Makes It Gay Trip For Canaries"!

On a day like today you''d wait for an evening news to be delivered and rush to the door to scan the back page for any news about the forthcoming game and players fitness etc.

How times have changed. Now I don''t have a newspaper and all news is instantly available. Every detail of every match can be found out in real time. And we can talk football 24/7 on the internet with other fans. Good job really because a friend of mine had his evening news delivered at 7:30am the other day[:S]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

There''s a thread on here about the Palace game in ''73. Thinking back to those days shows how much times have changed. Back then we didn''t even know the score at away games ''til the result came through on the teleprinter. Even when you knew it there were no details until the Pink Un hit the streets. Away night games would be a total mystery until the next morning. Sometimes you could find out the result but any details would have to wait ''til the morning paper arrived. If it was a Saturday the you could go to the ressies and they would solemnly announce the score at various times. "The news from Fratton Park is Portsmouth 1 The City 4" But then you''d have to wait for the Pink Un to find out that "Bennett Makes It Gay Trip For Canaries"!

On a day like today you''d wait for an evening news to be delivered and rush to the door to scan the back page for any news about the forthcoming game and players fitness etc.

How times have changed. Now I don''t have a newspaper and all news is instantly available. Every detail of every match can be found out in real time. And we can talk football 24/7 on the internet with other fans. Good job really because a friend of mine had his evening news delivered at 7:30am the other day[:S]

[/quote]

I don''t think that''s entirely true. In 1973 we were in the First division and BBC Radio carried live match reports on all top tier matches after the classified results at about 5pm.

And I reckon that a man who gives up his daily newspaper has lost his soul. But each to his own I guess.

One love (to City). At Portsmouth.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I don''t think that''s entirely true. In 1973 we were in the First division and BBC Radio carried live match reports on all top tier matches after the classified results at about 5pm.

And I reckon that a man who gives up his daily newspaper has lost his soul. But each to his own I guess.

OTBC

[/quote]

Yes you are probably right and the Portsmouth game I was remebering was probably 3 or 4 seasons earlier.

How long did you have to wait for your Pink Un?

Did you used to write attention seeking rubbish to "Soapbox"?

What was your "nom de plume"?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Ah Nigel, reading that gave me a flashback to those far off days.It was 1957, City had finally broken their 26 winless streak by beating Millwall the previous week. City were away to Shrewsbury and I was standing behind the River End goal with my uncle Bill watching the reserves. There were score flashes from Gay Meadow announced over the tannoy every 15 minutes and when the reserve game ended the last flash from Shrewsbury was that City were losing 4-2 after 75 minutes.A few of us hung about to hear the final score and incredibly it came through that City had won 5-4. I think Ralph Hunt, Johnny Gavin and Peter (Flash) Gordon were among the scorers if memory serves.Funny old days Nigel, lots of water gone under Trowse bridge since then.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

So he got the dates wrong - We all knew what NN was getting at, ''Bly''. Your constant need to split hairs etc is somewhat embarrassing.