Sign in to follow this  
Yellowfuture

How about Danny Graham

Out of contract in July, 22 goals in 36 league appearances for Watford, hopefully we have him on the radar for next season if we go up, deserves a crack at the Prem after the season he has had!

[quote user="Toronto_Canary"]isnt this like the 100th post titled... ''how about Danny Graham'' this year and the 5th one this week? :) [/quote] 

Oh, sorry about that, he must be good then!

Danny Graham is obviously having a great season because in a Watford side which has been playing well but not brilliantly he is the leagues top scorer however, this is his first season he has really been prolific.  He scored almost 20 goals for Carlisle in League One a few seasons ago and last season he only scored 14 for Watford and before he moved to Carlisle he wasn''t prolific at all.  All of a sudden he scores 20 odd this season and is a really good player who we should be looking at for the Premier League.

By all means if we don''t go up lets go for him because he looks like he is finally becoming the player that was expected of him but of we do go up do we really want to go for Graham?  I know we won''t be able to go for a reliable Prem goalscorer because they will cost a fortune but if we go for someone in the lower leagues I would like someone who has always been prolific not just the last couple of seasons including seasons in League One and somene who is a bit more experienced rather than Graham who at the age of 25 is still learning a lot and only just begining to blossom.

I''ve also just looked at Shane Long and it is the same with him.  Before this season he hasn''t scored more than 9 goals in a season and now this season he scores 20 odd and he is a player we should be looking at for the Premier League.  He is at the age of 24 and has only just blossomed and found his feet in the Championship, do we really want to throw him straight into the Premiership right now?

After a couple more seasons in the second tier for both Shane Long and Danny Graham then they might well turn out to be good top flight strikers but they have only just become good second tier strikers and I think they need to improve a bit more first before they move to the top flight.  I think if we brought either of them in the Premiership then it would be a very risky gamble

Boyo I understand where you''re coming from, but disagree. If we weren''t able to splash out on an established premiership striker, then who else would you go for? I would have thought at the top of that list is the two most prolific strikers in the league below, both of whom are out of contract.That''s assuming we go up though, hopefully we can have these arguments for real in 10 days time!

I am told by Watford fans that  he has really upped his work rate this season has has improved considerably over last year, it`s always going to be a gamble but he does sound like the  sort of commited player that  may  tempt Lambert.

We won''t get Shane Long. A bigger team with a bigger budget will get him for sure - no transfer fee involved so prospective new employee can afford a bigger wage. Celtic are looking at him apparently and a few teams like Villa etc. At 24 he''d be a good investment and has played in Prem with Reading before I believe. I''d certainly like to get him, but just can''t see it happening..

As I was told on here only two days ago, Shane Long is not on a free un the summer, but has one year left on his contract. Borini however, is very much on a free. Him and Graham would be great purchases.

Before we all rave about Graham, a quick question.

Would any of you had been happy/excited ad we signed him at the start of this season?

Yes, hes had a good season, but he''s shown nothing previous to this season. I''d rather sign a consistant performer than a once season wonder, especially if we do go up!

[quote user="CDMullins"]Before we all rave about Graham, a quick question.

Would any of you had been happy/excited ad we signed him at the start of this season?

Yes, hes had a good season, but he''s shown nothing previous to this season. I''d rather sign a consistant performer than a once season wonder, especially if we do go up![/quote]Yes, but you are a massive detractor of Hoolahan, so who cares what you think? [;)]

So you''d have been happy signing a striker that had scored 40 goals from 2003-2009?

Wow, your easily pleased.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]But isn''t he exactly the sort of player Lambert would get the absolute best out of?
[/quote]

Most likely. I''d believe in any player he signs I think lol

Your right Legend Ewan, he is contracted till July 2012,12 month extension, apologies for posting he was free. Still would be a good buy though IMO.

Shane Long would be great - but would cost a big fee . He has ''cut it'' for the Republic of Ireland don''t forget,and with a lot of their footballers will always be linked and drawn, to Celtic