Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

John Ruddy- Kicking or passing it out?

Ok, i am just a bit bored now it''s half time in the Burnley v Leeds game, so was just wondering what people''s opinions are on this topicFor me, i have always agreed with the idea of goalkeepers playing it out from the back and working the play forward from there, it is something we have been very successful with this year and added a lot more possession and fluidity to our play. However, i noticed at the Derby game how frustrated the crowd can get towards the end of games and this continued idea to pass it out from the back rather than kick it long and play a hope ball. I can understand this frustration and at times i think we do need to just give it a good hoff up the field, but to me the results seem to suggest we are doing well the way we are playing at the moment towards the end of games, so therefore the passing it out tactic seems to be working.Where i suggest that Joh Ruddy should be giving it more of a long kick up field is when the opposition are pressing for a goal. In the Derby game they knew Ruddy was going to pass it out each time he had the ball, so they were pressing quite far forward, putting pressure on the fall backs centre backs, this left at times Holt and Jackson up on their own against the two Derby CBs. I think in this instance Ruddy should play a little smarter and give it the big kick up field to Holt win and Jackson to use his speed to collect the loose ball. What''s everyone elses opinion, do you think we play the right mix of short and long balls, or are you one of those who gets frustrated at the amount of time Ruddy plays it short??O and i hate to say it, but come on burnley!!

Interesting that you''ve posted this. Ruddy has a good long kick, and yet I thought at the Derby game that we were put under unnecessary pressure on more than one occasion because the ball was passed out. Having said that, he is good at getting the ball away quickly when he does pass it out. On balance, I would like to see the scenario you''ve described - let''s try the big hoof upfield a bit more often, with Holt keeping the CBs busy and Jackson waiting to pounce!

I think he gets the balance about right overall.What does grip my brown stuff though is all the people who sit around me and whine and moan at him to kick it long every time, like we''re some kind of hoofball team.

[quote user="morty"]I think he gets the balance about right overall.What does grip my brown stuff though is all the people who sit around me and whine and moan at him to kick it long every time, like we''re some kind of hoofball team.[/quote]Yeah there seems to be a fair few people like that around, it''s like they want us play like Stoke. I would hate nothing more than supporting a team that played that type of football

Tbf to him Ruddy did mix it up a touch against Derby. One long ball in particular which led to Holt getting fouled was fantastic.Much more entertaining to pass it out from the back though even if it does make me very nervy at times.

[quote user="Canarykeg"]Tbf to him Ruddy did mix it up a touch against Derby. One long ball in particular which led to Holt getting fouled was fantastic.Much more entertaining to pass it out from the back though even if it does make me very nervy at times.[/quote]I agree, i remember that particular kick because it reaffirmed what i had been thinking about in that game, i just wish he had taken a few more oppertunities with it in that game.