Sign in to follow this  
Devils Advocate.

Just wondering.......

Not wishing to put the dampener on our promotion battle, but would you like to go back to the pre play-off days and just have three up automatically?. It might not be as exciting, but it would be so much better to be guaranteed promotion now, wouldn''t it?

Nah, as much as we might profit from getting rid of the play-offs this year I have to say I absolutely love them. Gives a large number of teams something to play for right up till the end of the season and is a brilliant way to finish it off. Nothing higher stakes in sport than 90 minutes to win 90 million.

I think they should bring in more, like a play-off for the last champions league spot, (will never happen though).

The ''play-offs'' may be exciting.......but they''re also in my opinion, dreadfully unfair......But, I did enjoy our experiences culminating in our appearance in the play-off final at Cardiff.....(although not the final result).

...I accept that it keeps an interest up to the end of the season of all the divisions - and puts more money in the coffers of the clubs and others....and was introduced to maintain competition, interest and revenue, right down to the wire in May....

But, considering the fourth/fifth and sixth-placed sides in the play-off positions, can/may have considerably far less points than the side that achieved third......is it really fair?

Still, we would be in the play-offs if ''unfortunately'' we don''t ''do what''s required.'' Which will give us a second bite at the cherry.....I suppose.

But it''s still unfair......(unless you''re in the play-offs).....anyway, I wouldn''t complain about going to Wemberleee!.....But if we fail?

Then again in my opinion, play-offs may be exciting.......but, are also, dreadfully unfair.....

I don''t see how they are any more unfair than any other rule in football it''s just how the league is set up. I mean why is it fair that winning gets you 3 points while drawing gets you 1? why not 4 and 2 or a bonus point for a score draw? is it fair that we work on goal difference rather than goals scored?

Despite the final result, our trip to Cardiff was without doubt the best day I''ve ever had involving football. Everything about it was just amazing. (apart from as said the final result)I would take going up as playoff winners over going up in second every day of the week. In fact, if I''m honest, part of me would take going up through the playoffs than as champions. You get to win a Cup Final and you get promoted to the next level. Of course Champions is good but everything about the playoffs is just amazing... IF YOU WIN!I see Mellow''s points about them being unfair and the team in sixth could have a lot less points than the team in third but as you point out, if you''d done enough to go up automatically then you''d have nothing to complain about.Part of me wants to go up automatically but part of me is loving the idea of 2 knock out games (ok 2 legs but still feel like two semi finals) and then a final at Wembley with the ultimate prize of promotion. (IF WE WIN)

Of course if it all goes wrong over the next week and we then find ourselves in the play-offs it would be brilliant if we go on to win at Wembleyand all the nerves would be forgotten. But what if we lose?. I believe that many clubs who finish third, go on to lose in the play offs and they seem to suffer a hangover that lasts for months, well into the next season and beyond ?,

Incidentally, when the play-offs first started, wasn''t there a Premier league club involved?

I wouldn''t say they are unfair, could be fairer but that''s about it.

6th play 3rd so in theory that is to give the 3rd best team the best chance.

I think they should be, 3rd get''s a bye to Wembley, then 6th play 5th away, with the winner of that playing 4th away... Then the winner of that plays 3rd in the final.

I''ve always thought of the play offs as being unfair, 3 go up so IMO it should be the top 3.

remember that the playoffs have worked in our favour before , when we sneaked into 6th place in 2002.

They have been around for 25 years now...roughly a quarter of the time that league football has been played in this country.....i think we should all know the situation now !?

I have always been opposed to play-offs. If 3 sides can go up, it should be the top 3 after all fixtures have been played. Why should team number 6 have a chance to go up at the expense of those above them? Why don''t we have play-offs at the other end of the table, if they are considered fair for the teams going up? Bottom 2 clubs go down automatically, and the next 4 above them play off to stay up. That would be just as "exciting", but no-one would ever consider doing it.

Third playing third bottom of the League above would be a fair one.

[quote user="Canarino"]I have always been opposed to play-offs. If 3 sides can go up, it should be the top 3 after all fixtures have been played. Why should team number 6 have a chance to go up at the expense of those above them? Why don''t we have play-offs at the other end of the table, if they are considered fair for the teams going up? Bottom 2 clubs go down automatically, and the next 4 above them play off to stay up. That would be just as "exciting", but no-one would ever consider doing it.[/quote]

this did happen in one season 87/88 in think???.....when Chelsea finished 3rd bottom in the old division ,had a playoff vs Middlesbro who finished 4th in 2nd division....and Middlesbro won.