Sign in to follow this  
Reykjavik Canary

Summer signings if promoted.

Hi! This is my first thread here on this pinkun forum. I come from Iceland and am one of a few Norwich fans here.I know it is in no certainty that we will be promoted to the Premier League this season, but it is getting more and more likely every day. I also know that no one of us fans have the mind of Paul Lambert and that we can trust him whoever he will buy this summer. Whether it will be a Lloyd Doyley from Watford or Charlie Adam from Blackpool we know he will only make good signings.I wanted however to speculate what players the fans would like to sign this summer. I have my short list of players I would like to sign, including some from the Icelandic U-21 team which beat the English one not a long time ago and is due to play at the U-21 Euros in Jylland this summer.Goalkeeper: I trust Ruddy completely and we have decent back-up in Rudd and Steer. Should Ruddy leave to a bigger club I think we should try to go for our Robert Green back. He is a class keeper on his day and one of the best shot stoppers in the Premier League. He would be easier to get if West Ham go down (which is likely). But I would prefer trying to keep Ruddy and spend our transfer fee elsewhere (defence mainly).Defence: Defence has been our weakest area by a country-mile this season. We have only kept a clean-sheet a couple of times while QPR have done it in about 58% of their games. We should look to sign defenders from either Italy (they tend to be class) or England. I don''t really have anyone special in my mind but it is always wise to pluck the best out of the relegated teams.Midfield: Our midfield this season has been superb. Crofts, Fox, Hoolahan and co. just have been I think the best midfield I remember for Norwich. I think we could though possibly bolster it with a player in the Scott Parker mould. He is likely to join Tottenham in the summer but I think Paul Lambert could sneak past them. If we however don''t get him I think we should try to sign either Gylfi Þ. Sigurðsson (Hoffenheim, expensive I know but class) or Aron E. Gunnarsson (great work, similar to Parker). Jóhann B. Guðmundsson (left winger, young) from AZ is also an exciting prospect, along with Eggert G. Jónsson (he can also play defence) the Hearts captain.Attack: Grant Holt and Simeon Jackson <3. I however would never turn Adel Taraabt down. It is rediculous how lazy he looks on the pitch but still seems to turn up with either an assist or a goal every game. I also want to cast the eye over the Icelandic duo of Kolbeinn Sigþórsson (scored 6 goals in Dutch Eredivise, not even Ronaldo did that, is AZ top scorer despite limited playing time) and Björn B. Sigurðarson (6 assists in 3 games in Norway).If I would give myself a 15 millon budget I would of those buy Björn (Norway=cheap), Jóhann and Aron and strong defenders.

Your a bit grumpy today CDMullins.

This is a completely different post to any other ''who shall we sign'' posts. And i haven''t read very many, so not quite done to death yet.

But to the OP although maybe good suggestions, i''m not convinced that Lambert would really look at these players in much detail.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Done to death a million times, why dont we just wait until we get there.[/quote]I said in the post that I knew that we hadn''t yet been promoted. Clearly this is not your cup of tea however and that''s fine.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Your a bit grumpy today CDMullins.

This is a completely different post to any other ''who shall we sign'' posts. And i haven''t read very many, so not quite done to death yet.

But to the OP although maybe good suggestions, i''m not convinced that Lambert would really look at these players in much detail.[/quote]Why shouldn''t he look at them. He has top contacts in Europe (other managers) and he will surely scout at least the Euro U-21 championship. Then he must obviously notice the ways clubs at the bottom are using to stay aflout. Wigan are buying a lot Central America. West Brom have bought a lot from mainland Europe. Sunderland have started to buy many Ghanaians and other Africans. It is very obvious that you are more likely to get a quality player from abroad rather from the Championship, just because there are more of them. Sending a man to Jylland isn''t really that expensive.

Nice post mate, but I think you are going a bit over the top with the potential signings. Taraabt will stay at QPR unless they get a miraculous points deduction and stay down. Parker will go to Spurs or if they stay up maybe stay with the Hammers. However, I do think that getting Greeno back could be a distinct possibility although I will be more than happy for Ruddy to be our number one again next season.Despite having his foreign contacts Lambert is not exactly known for singing foreigners in his managerial career. Next season could be different though, as like you said, West Brom have worked the foreign market quite well. In our last season in the prem we also had players like Svensson, Helveg, Johansson, and Johnson (I think? Bad memory) who were all from European countries.Lambert is more than likely to pursue his policy of turning lower league hungry players into absolute gems (Crofts, Fox, R. Martin to name 3) and I am certain we would sign - if we went up - more Championship players than foreign/premiership players. Players like Morison (been mentioned in the Mail recently), Graham, McGugan are all likely to be on Lambert''s wishlist.

However, the next 2 games are all that matters - let''s just see what happens.OTBC

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Nice post mate, but I think you are going a bit over the top with the potential signings. Taraabt will stay at QPR unless they get a miraculous points deduction and stay down. Parker will go to Spurs or if they stay up maybe stay with the Hammers. However, I do think that getting Greeno back could be a distinct possibility although I will be more than happy for Ruddy to be our number one again next season.Despite having his foreign contacts Lambert is not exactly known for singing foreigners in his managerial career. Next season could be different though, as like you said, West Brom have worked the foreign market quite well. In our last season in the prem we also had players like Svensson, Helveg, Johansson, and Johnson (I think? Bad memory) who were all from European countries.Lambert is more than likely to pursue his policy of turning lower league hungry players into absolute gems (Crofts, Fox, R. Martin to name 3) and I am certain we would sign - if we went up - more Championship players than foreign/premiership players. Players like Morison (been mentioned in the Mail recently), Graham, McGugan are all likely to be on Lambert''s wishlist.

However, the next 2 games are all that matters - let''s just see what happens.OTBC[/quote]*Signing, grrr

[quote user="NauruDude"]Svensson was okay.Hleveg was over the top. Bad signing and too old.Johansson I don''t remember.Johnson I have no idea.Safri scored that rocket at Newcastle.[/quote]Turns out we got Johansson in 2006 and it was just on a loan deal. I am sure there was a guy called Johnson, he was a centre back or maybe midfielder Swedish I think? I only remember him because I remember him getting a bandage around his head and I was only like 8 and thought it was amazing, haha

[quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="NauruDude"]Svensson was okay.Hleveg was over the top. Bad signing and too old.Johansson I don''t remember.Johnson I have no idea.Safri scored that rocket at Newcastle.[/quote]Turns out we got Johansson in 2006 and it was just on a loan deal. I am sure there was a guy called Johnson, he was a centre back or maybe midfielder Swedish I think? I only remember him because I remember him getting a bandage around his head and I was only like 8 and thought it was amazing, haha[/quote]Yewah it was Matias Jonsson. He has same last name as me. I think he used to do all right. He just wouldnðt want to play in Champo. Our leaky defence was our main culprit.

Johnson was a Danish winger we had in Prem season. He might have been there season after.

I loved Johansson, we should have singed him permanently...

Mathias Johnson?

Sweedish Winger/striker?

Played in Euro 2004 and we signed him on that basis?

Played about 28-30 premier league games for us and didn''t score once?

Achieved ledgendary status for one good game where he ended up looking like Terry Butcher?

Only scored in the ressies in April, was then sold/released when we went down?

Yeah, thats the one, he was absolute rubbish...

The johannson fella is Jonathan Johansson from Rangers and Charlton fame.  Again, another massive loan failure.  He signed on the same time as Zesh Rehman...

OMG, how far we''ve come not to have to have that quality of player on our books....

[quote user="jed exodous"]

Mathias Johnson?

Sweedish Winger/striker?

Played in Euro 2004 and we signed him on that basis?

Played about 28-30 premier league games for us and didn''t score once?

Achieved ledgendary status for one good game where he ended up looking like Terry Butcher?

Only scored in the ressies in April, was then sold/released when we went down?

Yeah, thats the one, he was absolute rubbish...

The johannson fella is Jonathan Johansson from Rangers and Charlton fame.  Again, another massive loan failure.  He signed on the same time as Zesh Rehman...

OMG, how far we''ve come not to have to have that quality of player on our books....

[/quote]That''s him [:D]

Yeah I am abit grumpy GP,

Just think there are 2 many duplicate threads on here, or threads that are then links to QPR or Cardiff websites, or telling me that Durso is ref on Monday, or asking where the best place to watch the game on Monday is. And I am really missing us not playing aswell as been nervous/excited!

OP- there may well be some very good players on there, but im 100% sure non of them will ever wear a City shirt. I would like to see us broaden our horizons and look a little further a field, but im confident we will play safe and stay in the UK.

I understand you a bit CDM, but really does it matter?

I can''t really talk, because in the past i used to pick up anything Banana said that wasn''t needed (which i do as well :P). But it can''t be that hard to ignore threads really, and this guy is a new poster, and from another country so i doubt he has anyone to talk about NCFC locally, so wants to come on this forum. And then posts like that moaning. Maybe he should have found one of the threads about summer transfers. But its much easier to just click new thread. Plus his post was quite long, and could easily get lost, as quite often just the first few posts are read and responded to.

And if you get rid of all those so called duplicate threads, whats left? This is a forum where people can post what they want (so you can moan if you want) and it really doesn''t matter if there are 15 threads on the first page all about the same thing.

You can clearly see what the thread is about- don''t read it if you aren''t interested in the topic. Instead of moaning and a repeat of threads you''re just repeating the moaning in multiple threads.

It''d be good to look further afield, but it''s a gamble. As said before, it didn''t work last time, but Worthy only looked for big names really, not Premiership quality, or ones for the future. Some of the best signings are the cheap ones who peform above expectations (Can''t think of many off top of my head). However I''d expect Lambert (IF PROMOTED) to sign players from England or with proven class in English leagues previously. We aren''t like United, where we can gamble on players- eg:- The twins, Macheda, etc etc. They don''t always come off, but to them £3/4 million is nothing, but for Norwich, any player brought in for anything over £500k will be expected to play first team football and challenge for positions. We just don''t have the luxury of being able to gamble on unproven talent at the highest level.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Johansson wasn''t a failure, he was amazing.[/quote]

Sarcasm wares off when you post the same thing over and over...

Or are you being serious?

I''m fairly sure, apart from a debut goal against the scum in a game we didn''t win, he done pretty much less than bugger all in a Norwich shirt, hence why we didn''t sign him although he was out of contract

[quote user="Viva_Marc_Libbra"]You can clearly see what the thread is about- don''t read it if you aren''t interested in the topic. Instead of moaning and a repeat of threads you''re just repeating the moaning in multiple threads.

It''d be good to look further afield, but it''s a gamble. As said before, it didn''t work last time, but Worthy only looked for big names really, not Premiership quality, or ones for the future. Some of the best signings are the cheap ones who peform above expectations (Can''t think of many off top of my head). However I''d expect Lambert (IF PROMOTED) to sign players from England or with proven class in English leagues previously. We aren''t like United, where we can gamble on players- eg:- The twins, Macheda, etc etc. They don''t always come off, but to them £3/4 million is nothing, but for Norwich, any player brought in for anything over £500k will be expected to play first team football and challenge for positions. We just don''t have the luxury of being able to gamble on unproven talent at the highest level.[/quote]I have to agree with you there look at the players who PL has brought into our club this season are mainly brought for around £400k at the most. Besides looking at his signings since he has been here he hasent decided to gamble on a premier league player (maybe surman) he has looked down the divisions and you will have to look at the costs to send our scouts over euorpe and the other continents in the world and as you pointed out we havent got these reasources yet

I just feel we have to spend on at least on one quality signing a la Odemwingie (13 PL goals speaks for itself). I agree we cant gamble on young brazilians yet but players like ARON is a proven champo player and has been Cov City player of the year.

I do not think Englishmen are exceptional footballers and I think if we really want to better some of those sides in the PL (IF WE GET UP!!!) we have to look elsewhere. We aint gonna buy anyone of Villa or Newcastle because we arent as big club as them but we can buy from the Nigerian PL for peanuts and get the gem of the year.

I just guess a little more moderating and admin will help, merging threads and deleting crap.

But anyways, I''ll throw in a realistic suggestion,

Cover/competition for RB and a gerneral all rounder, Teyrone Mears.

[quote user="iViiPeRs v1"][quote user="Viva_Marc_Libbra"]You can clearly see what the thread is about- don''t read it if you aren''t interested in the topic. Instead of moaning and a repeat of threads you''re just repeating the moaning in multiple threads.

It''d be good to look further afield, but it''s a gamble. As said before, it didn''t work last time, but Worthy only looked for big names really, not Premiership quality, or ones for the future. Some of the best signings are the cheap ones who peform above expectations (Can''t think of many off top of my head). However I''d expect Lambert (IF PROMOTED) to sign players from England or with proven class in English leagues previously. We aren''t like United, where we can gamble on players- eg:- The twins, Macheda, etc etc. They don''t always come off, but to them £3/4 million is nothing, but for Norwich, any player brought in for anything over £500k will be expected to play first team football and challenge for positions. We just don''t have the luxury of being able to gamble on unproven talent at the highest level.[/quote]I have to agree with you there look at the players who PL has brought into our club this season are mainly brought for around £400k at the most. Besides looking at his signings since he has been here he hasent decided to gamble on a premier league player (maybe surman) he has looked down the divisions and you will have to look at the costs to send our scouts over euorpe and the other continents in the world and as you pointed out we havent got these reasources yet [/quote]

I think scouts should be able to go online and watch football from there. The don''t have to travel to Greece.

Well Jed,

he wasn''t amazing, but he wasn''t a failure. He was quite exiting, still had a bit of pace despite being into his 30s (i think), and used to come in from the right quite well. I thought he scored more than one, so must be making up false memories about his time here. (That and the fact i seem to be far more positive about everything, i.e defending Fozzy, and thinking Hartson wasn''t a complete waste of space, in fact i was quite surprised that was everyone else''s opinion, i can see how people thought he wasn''t any good, but i thought he was good enough to do a job and maybe if he had scored in his first couple of games he would have had more confidence and done better)

Up or down, I''d want 4 new players. The quality of those players would depend on which division we''re in. A right back to give Russell Martin some competition, a winger to give a bit more tactical flexibility, a new striker to give us another option up front and a Wes Hoolahan type player to give him some competition, given that both Pacheo and Lansbury are loanees. I''d then shed some of those on the fringe of things, ie Oli Johnson, Stephen Hughes, Askou, Tudor Jones and Gill. I''d bring Cody back and let Chrissy Martin out on loan. 

I agree with that, but a bit more cover would be nice:

I''d say-

Goalkeeper- Ruddy, Rudd & Steer- Good competitive cover for positions, Ruddy can definitely make the step up and will benefit from having more to do, when is a bit of a lonesome figure with less to do he looses concentration and can drop a clanger, fortunately not many have cost us.

No new players needed- none sold.

Defence- Martin, Drury, S. Smith, Whitbread, Ward, Barnett, Tierney, Askou.

Decent centre half cover with Whitbread, Ward & Barnett all very capable. One more youngster would be nice to potentially cover right back and centre half, as we clearly need cover for Martin, Tierney definitely able to make the step up, very fit and good eye for a pass also very good as a defender.

S.Smith & Askou to be sold-

Right back/Centre Back cover needed.

Midfield- OTJ, McNamee, Hoolahan, Gill, Hughes, Surman, Crofts, Fox, Lappin

OTJ, Gill & Hughes to be sold- deadwood.

Lappin gives cover as a left midfielder (not winger- if we''re leading a game and need to hold on- more defensive option) and also left back, if Drury, Tiereny get injured. McNamee is a winger and can be extremely creative in small doses. Crofts and Fox both good at the holding role. Hoolahan and Surman obviously have places wrapped up, but we don''t have a right midfielder, someone who can cross the ball, either we get Holt/Jackson to swing balls in or Russell Martin but which a dangerous game to play when Holt/Jackson should be in the box and Martin should be on the half way line as Crofts can''t cross a ball particularly well.

Another Right Midfielder, and potentially someone in a Scott Parker mould (not him as we can''t afford him)- Box to box ball winning midfielder a good footballer.

Strikers- Wilbraham, Holt, Jackson, Martin, Johnson, Daley

Daley, Johnson to be sold- off the wage bill- won''t improve enough to challenge.

Jackson ever improving need someone like him in case form drops if his confidence goes. Holt & Wilbraham are obviously both very much in same mould but not convinced by Wilbrahma in the Premier League- loanee like Daniel Sturridge- someone big bold and brash if Holt gets injured. No point in adding a permenant signing if you can get someone of his quality in specially if we get relegated can''t afford a huge wage bill with a lot of players on it.

So all in all, we don''t need too many players- I think our squad is quite strong. Just one or two players in each area of the team.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well Jed, he wasn''t amazing, but he wasn''t a failure. He was quite exiting, still had a bit of pace despite being into his 30s (i think), and used to come in from the right quite well. I thought he scored more than one, so must be making up false memories about his time here. (That and the fact i seem to be far more positive about everything, i.e defending Fozzy, and thinking Hartson wasn''t a complete waste of space, in fact i was quite surprised that was everyone else''s opinion, i can see how people thought he wasn''t any good, but i thought he was good enough to do a job and maybe if he had scored in his first couple of games he would have had more confidence and done better)[/quote]

Fair enough