Sign in to follow this  
@jayncfc

Championship To Premiership

I am not trying to speculate about the promotion chances of Norwich City, nor the play off routes that may or may not end up with us being a top tier club by the end of the season, moreover here I will be commenting on the Premier League, the step up and what I make of it, whoever that club may be.For many years now even the Premier League has been under scrutiny due to the fact that many are under the impression that it is segregated (a lot like the FL) between the have'' and have not teams. Those in the top half have the money to spend on international level players that command huge wages. They are backed by European competition bonuses and bank rolling from wealthy investments. The resulting outcome of this creating a two tier (or even three tier) system in the Premier League itself. This disparity is reflected once again between the Premier League and The Championship. Again I will reiterate that this is the perceived view.There is no doubt that the higher you get up the leagues the higher quality player you will be able to attract and no doubt that the television rights that Sky pays each club as well as the many other reasons , a club will be more financially stable in this league. I am a firm believer however, that the gap between the leagues isn''t the gulf that many would like to. Also, that survival might not come at a huge cost that many expect.  I would also like to point out I am talking about survival, not winning the league.If you look at the difference between a majority of the bottom half (of the Premiership) clubs and teams at the top (of the Championship), especially QPR (although I am firmly of the belief their aging squad, comprised of "bread and butter players" and the gleaming quality of Taraabt guiding them through, will struggle at the PL level) Cardiff and Norwich and the lower premier teams such as Wolves, Blackpool and West Ham there isn''t a huge gulf. Granted these teams are struggling for survival but quality wise I don''t think there really is a huge difference. Also, barring Blackpool possibly the main issue is scoring goals for these teams.You only have to look at the performance by West Ham today (1.5.2011) against Manchester City to prove that with the right tactics  you can take on many teams within the league. The level quality all over the pitch compared to West Ham has a slight increase, but not a massive gulf. They are still in with a shout, away from home at 2 - 1 to walk away with something.Also there is the fact that the higher tier of the Premier League usually have more cup ties to play in, be it domestic or European. Coming back to old cliche, if a team concentrates on the league they will have more of a chance. That of course goes against the winning mentality that should be bread into every football player, but would make a difference.Lastly, I would like to talk about the "Big Money" players. It is of my honest belief that whilst yes, these players are usually of a higher class, comparatively they are not worth the extra millions banded on them. Ronaldo was a £90m signing whereas Van Der Vaart was £9.5m, where is the logic in that. I am not disputing Ronaldo is better than Van Der Varrt, but how much better he is does not equate £80.5m. Of course in the Premier League you will need players who really do have that edge but as many have shown you can find that in lower leagues at cut down prices. Chris Smalling for example. Whilst I do believe that the tempo, overall quality and expectation of the Premier League is much much higher, I do not believe that the gulf between leagues is that massive. I am confident that if Cardiff and Norwich were to make it to the Premier League they would survive and do well. Establishing themselves and feeling the league out before trying to push into the higher echelons of the Premier League itself.

I agree.

But do you remember the days when it was Division 1 to Premier League? Or Division 2 to Division 1?  Ron Saunders?  Mousehold?  Southwold? In winter, it''s cold?

Mistakes are often made again lest we learn our lessons from the past.  The Premiership, that land of milk and honey, may be a poisoned chalice but is not a gift horse we should look in the mouth without holding our breath and knowing what we''re getting ourselves into.  I trust Lambert, Bowkett and McNally to look before they leap, and then to seize the day.  All aboard the gravy train as we drop anchor in the Premier League''s hallowed waters.

And thanks to Rupert Murdoch, the world and his wife will literally be watching. 

Be good to one another.

To survive in the Prem you only need to be better than the three worst teams. We won''t need to change much at all and if we do we will be committing ''suicide'' by potentially killing an exceptional team spirit.

In response to you paul moy.

Do you think that this summer will be any different to last summer?

Nearly all the players Lambert signs fit in, no one seems to get upset, i think Lambert could sign a whole new team and keep team spirit up.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]In response to you paul moy. Do you think that this summer will be any different to last summer? Nearly all the players Lambert signs fit in, no one seems to get upset, i think Lambert could sign a whole new team and keep team spirit up.[/quote]

No doubt Lambert could build a whole new team etc, but the team spirit we have now does not come overnight, so to risk that would be crazy, especially when we only really need a few quality additions. We could simply pick off a few good players from the relegated sides from the Prem, such as Rodellega or N''Zogbia from Wigan, Kevin Doyle or Jarvis from Wolves etc, of course depending on who goes down.

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"]All aboard the gravy train as we drop anchor in the Premier League''s hallowed waters.

[/quote]Er! I don''t think trains have anchors.....I think that''s boats! [+o(][;)] 

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"]All aboard the gravy train as we drop anchor in the Premier League''s hallowed waters.

[/quote]Er! I don''t think trains have anchors.....I think that''s boats! [+o(][;)] 

[/quote]I studied Poetry and Metaphoric Allusion at university, and I think BBB means that we may have to buy a couple of expensive but proven players if we''re going to become more than a one-season wonder in the Premier League.  I''d agree with that, assuming that''s what he/she meant.  And I think it''s what the OP was saying too - the gap between mid-table Prem & top of Championship isn''t huge if you get the key positions right.

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"]

I agree.

But do you remember the days when it was Division 1 to Premier League? Or Division 2 to Division 1?  Ron Saunders?  Mousehold?  Southwold? In winter, it''s cold?

Mistakes are often made again lest we learn our lessons from the past.  The Premiership, that land of milk and honey, may be a poisoned chalice but is not a gift horse we should look in the mouth without holding our breath and knowing what we''re getting ourselves into.  I trust Lambert, Bowkett and McNally to look before they leap, and then to seize the day.  All aboard the gravy train as we drop anchor in the Premier League''s hallowed waters.

And thanks to Rupert Murdoch, the world and his wife will literally be watching. 

Be good to one another.

[/quote]Another excellent & insightful post.This is just the kind of radical, blue-sky thinking that will put us in pole position when the fat lady sings. Never forget that we''re all in this together in this Great Society of ours & that in this quotidian world in which we live in it''s never over till it''s over. Chickens must not be counted, but quite frankly I''m going into this with a hard on.Yours in Truth etc. etc.

[quote user="jayncfc"] Ronaldo was a £90m signing whereas Van Der Vaart was £9.5m, where is the logic in that. I am not disputing Ronaldo is better than Van Der Varrt, but how much better he is does not equate £80.5m. [/quote]

Well VDV is the kind of player who will get you about 15 goals in a good season whereas Ronaldo is likely to get 35-50 (maybe more).

Keeping it just to football, ignoring all the shirt sales etc, I''d say Ronaldo was well worth that money. He''s a better buy at £80m-£90m than VDV is at £9m*.

You know what you''ll get from Ronaldo every season - a massive great big pile of goals. He''s money in the bank.

VDV has already tailed off this season, what''s he going to do next?

*not that any footballer is worth that kind of money, of course.