Sign in to follow this  
Tacklebury

Ashton can score as many as he likes...

but as long as we deploy Huckerby down the left, teams will continue to exploit the space and score goals down that side of the pitch. I feel for Drury - he isn''t in very good form at the moment, yet every time we defend he has to face two men attacking him. We could have Roberto Carlos at left back, he''d sill have a tough time!

Quite simply, Huckerby has to either be moved up front (I know this is something that people were suggesting shouldn''t happen on another thread) or he should be played in behind the strikers. At the moment, he''s a liability when it comes to defending and every team in the Premiership will exploit our weakness down the left defensively until we do something about it.

McVeigh may have disappeared off the face of the planet since Christmas, but at least when he played down the left he offered Drury some protection. Brennan is another option. Whatever we do, we must address this soon or else we''re really making things hard for ourselves.

Thoroughly agree Tacklebury.  All these people that keep saying dont play Huckerby as a striker are happy then are they for us to be totally exposed on the left.  It is not as if Huckerby is creating much on the left anyway.  And if those that favour Hux on the left use the argument that he has always got two or three defenders on him then what is the bloody point of having him there then. We may as well give him a shot down the middle.  

Well said guys - Drury is having a bad enough time adjusting to the Prem standard without having no cover in front of him.  

However I am not sure who I would play there instead now Bents is injured - only the invisible man McVeigh could do us a job from the current midfielders  and even I dont think he do that job well enough (Brennan not up to it and no one else can play wide) so that looks like one of our loan targets along with a leader of a defender.

OTBC

Sorry but this is down to Drury not Hux.

When Charlton was at left back we were fine (well relatively) but at the start of the season and again now, Drury isnt able to cope. Hopefully at his age he will, with more experience, come to terms with the Prem but so far he''s simply not been able to hack it.

I think because of his consistently good performances in the fizzy league most people have just assumed he would step up to the Prem with no problem but it doesnt necessarily follow.

Anyway its all pretty academic when the master tactician decides that playing Ashton as a lone striker is a good plan........

Against ''pool and the hammers charlie had a nightmare of Drury like proportions - his performance against liverpool was comfortably charlies worst game in a yellow short.  Given his ability before then it is too much of a coincidence that they all come at left back???

The second goal against villa was partly down to drurys lack of confidence and indecision but how much space was there down the left hand side of the pitch, no sign of Hux or a covering central midfielder (we had 5 midfielders allegedly).

Until we get some cover at left back even Paolo Maldini would struggle in our side.

OTBC