Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

Clint Easton had more good games than Bentley

I may get some stick for this but the thread title says it all I believe. OK Clint wasn''t the greatest player who ever lived but we always got 100% commitment and he had some genuinely good games where he was whipping in some devent crosses, particularly in the play off season. I am not advocating brining him back (of course not), but it puts Bentley''s limited achievements this season into perspective. Bentley''s a gooner through and through. We need to send him back so they can sort out their own and free up a loan space to give Nigel more options if he needs them. I saw few flashes of greatness of Bentley (one goal against Toon which Given should have got and a rebound against Man U), and never felt he would die for the cause as others. Unfortunately we all believed the hype and thought those few bits of genuinely good pay meant he was special. It was worth trying but time to admit that it just didn''t work out (that volley from 6 yards against Blackburn which he spooned over the bar with two minutes to go summed it up). he should return to Arsenal with our blessing but we need to move on now.

Maybe a bit harsh calling Bentley a gooner Tumbleweed but i agree he had more bad games than good ones. Whoever we get instead of him hasnt got much to beat performance wise but its just a matter of has he got the ability that Bentley had?

BRING  BACK EASTON

erm...... maybe that was a bit far......

Not sure what has happend to clint? i look in paper every week to see if is playing ? for wycombe don''t if is injured or something ? thought he might of played at a higher level though ?

I would also agree with this comment. He was an inspirational player in the run in of the playoff campaign. One of those confidence players though and it was such a shame the way he was treated by the fans of this club who jeered his every move.

I thought he was OK too, I think the crowd gave him a bad time for no real reason, it''s a harsh game sometimes.

I am amazed that this post has appeared, especially from a poster I respect very much - the reason Easton was not favoured was his lack of effort and passion combined with his inability to pass to a yellow shirt - that Mullers seems to have caught (see how much betterHelveg is in that role now all you dobting Thomas'', and thats out of position?)  Do we fans have that short a memory???

we did not see the best of bentley as he was played out of his best position (how many times and how many players have I typed that about this season?) but without a doubt Bents is a far better player in my eyes - I guess you and I will have to disagree on this one tumbleweed.

OTBC

100% commitment?!?! If you call jogging up and down the pitch without marking when we were defending or offering a decent outlet when we were attacking 100% commitment, then I suppose we should also consider Mark Rivers as a bit of a workhorse.

He put in 3 good crosses in the playoff run, and after that did absolutely nothing. Sorry, I like to encourage players, but at the same time when I watch lazy players giving ineffective performances I feel fully justified in criticising them.

[quote]Easton just came back from Injury and travelled to swansea today but didn''t make the team.. having played in a 5-0 win for wycombe reserves I have a thread on my forum where I try and keep up to d...[/quote]

Class Forum you have got going there Kenny good stuff

Zipper (and others), my point was only that I saw more games where Easton played well than games where I have felt Bents played well. I am certainly not saying that Easton is a better player. Clint had his bad games too and yes there were time when he appeared lazy but I don''t think he was given anywhere near the same latitude as Bents.

My second point (perhaps not fully developed) was that when players come feted as the next best thing since the last best thing, we tend to see small touches of skill and admire their virtuosity. However Clint arrived as a bit of a joke really and a few nice touches from him got lost while we laughed at his hairstyle............I hope Bents develops into the final product but I don''t think we got value from him in all honesty.

Fair points TW.

From my own point of view my opinion of Bents at the start of the season was that he had no place in our side ahead of Jarvis.  After the first few games I felt he was a one trick pony who was a luxury we could not afford and posted accordingly.

However since he was dropped he did improve and become a valuable member of the team, showing signs of the ability he has and looking OK as a prem player, but nowhere near matching the level of hype that surrounds him.  

For me losing him for the rest of the season is a big loss for this clubs battle against relegation as the only squad player who can do half of his job is McVeigh, who has apparently been spotted with Lord Lucan, Shergar and Elvis in a chippy down the road.

OTBC