Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Squad Strengthening

I will be a shame to break up this squad but some strengthening will be needed to have any chance of staying in the prem, Lambo has a good player knowledge and can make good out of some of the most unlikely players.

Where do we need to strengthen? Defence for sure we have conceded on average 1.2 goals a game, on that average we will get thrashed in the prem.

Midfield is not too bad but a bit of experienced cover will help

Attack is a difficult one 2 players who are showing good form will going up from level ¾ to the prem in a couple of too years be a step too far

What are you thoughts and who would be a realistic good buy?

Lambert will look to strengthen all across the park. I can see a lot of the fringe players moving on (Gill, OTJ, Hughes, McNamee etc) but the majority of the group will be retained, unless we receive offers such as the Nelson one in January.

I think the fringe players such as Hughes and Jones will leave and players like Korey and C.Martin will go out on loan. Just need about 5 or 6 new players, in Lambert we trust.

Two additional centre halves; one additional right back; two additional wide players - especially on the right side - one additional target man and one additional support striker. That''s seven.

I see enought peripheral and loan players to more than balance this without touching the core group of players we have.

In addition - we will be getting a bigger squad through having greater income. PL will help out some of his squad in the way he did Michael Nelson rather than simply dismiss them - that is key to keeping confidence among the players who remain.

The interesting thing for me will be to see whether PL and DM move as fast as they did last season in bringing players in. That was astonishing and we have the chance to steal the march on everyone else as QPR et al are all still in the dark.

I think threads like this today  after our team has done what they have done are a little unfair to the guys that got us there. Are they not allowed to be given a few days of pure joy rather than speculation about their careers.  

If we are to survive in the Premiership, we shall need to find some players with more pace than the present suad, especially in defence, where only Barnett seems to have enough pace.

This doesn''t mean that we have to discard them, mere ly that we musty adopt styartegies to cope with speedy players.

The midfield is not especially quick but could pr0obably hold their own - wopuld be good if we could get Lansbury for a realistic figure - with Ramsay and Wilshire playing so well, he will probably not get much of a look-in with Arsenal. Otherwise the present set, with Hooly, Surman, Crofts plus Korey will need replacement. Perhaps a wide player or two, if Macnamee is not favoured.

The strikers in the different ways will compromise Holt, Jackson and Martin, plus one or two others. PL has already shown a liking for M-Smith and Bennett.

We have not heard anything about our chief scout and his network. Perhaps he will produce some names for PL from Scotland or Europe.

I think that some playwers who were signed in the League 1 days, and who will not cut it in the Premiership, will be on their way out - T-J, Gill, Oli, and perhaps Cody, Hughes, Lappin (-too slight and slow?) What future is there for Drury?

Remeber Malky and Iwan discarded last time, do not make the same mistake again, don''t upset the team spirit with some aged no hopers who might be Prem players a la Helveg and Jonnson. 

I think you only have to look at how the squad was changed from League One to the Championship to see that Lambert doesn''t hold much sentiment for players; of the starting players last night only Holt, Hoolahan and R. Martin were in the League One squad.

Lambert has reshaped the squad once before without destroying the team spirit, I have a feeling he will be doing it again this summer.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]I think threads like this today  after our team has done what they have done are a little unfair to the guys that got us there. Are they not allowed to be given a few days of pure joy rather than speculation about their careers.  [/quote]

Im not being unfair to the lads at all, i am proud of the achievement but we are a prem side now and need more strength in depth to help the current lads out. Hopwefulyl most will stay and with some support will do well.

Drurry will remain even if he does not paly much as it is his testimonial season

Lambert, interviewed on Talksport this morning has said that the guys that have got us there will be given a chance as they have risen to every challenge. He said they will need some help and that will be provided. I''m pleased to hear this, as we should stick more or less with what we have rather than ditch valuable people such as Malky and Iwan as we did in 2003 and ruin team spirit and cohesion.

[quote user="pete"]Remeber Malky and Iwan discarded last time, do not make the same mistake again, don''t upset the team spirit with some aged no hopers who might be Prem players a la Helveg and Jonnson. [/quote]

At least Iwan got a good send off that year, poor old malky was retained and then shown the door a few weeks later with no chance to say goodbye

[quote user="paul moy"]Lambert, interviewed on Talksport this morning has said that the guys that have got us there will be given a chance as they have risen to every challenge. He said they will need some help and that will be provided. I''m pleased to hear this, as we should stick more or less with what we have rather than ditch valuable people such as Malky and Iwan as we did in 2003 and ruin team spirit and cohesion.[/quote]

Lambert said exactly the same thing after promotion from League One, his "need some help" quote ultimatley ended up meaning "replace 6-7 of the first team players".

If Lambert had of been true to his word and only made a few changes we wouldn''t be here today celebrating promotion.

GK Ruddy, Rudd, +1

LB Tierney, Drury

RB Martin, Francomb, +1

CB Barnett, Ward, Whitbread, +2

MF Fox, Crofts, Hoolahan, Surman, +2

CF Holt, Jackson, Martin, +1

Outs: Askou, Steer (loan), Daley, Gill, Hughes, Johnson, Lappin, McNamee, Steve Smith, Tudur Jones, Wilbraham, K Smith (loan), Adeyemi (loan), McDonald

7 in!

I think Wilbraham will stay after all he was signed being told he would hopefully get a chance in the prem

[quote user="Libbra Lives in Dubai"]GK Ruddy, Rudd, +1 LB Tierney, Drury RB Martin, Francomb, +1 CB Barnett, Ward, Whitbread, +2 MF Fox, Crofts, Hoolahan, Surman, +2 CF Holt, Jackson, Martin, +1 Outs: Askou, Steer (loan), Daley, Gill, Hughes, Johnson, Lappin, McNamee, Steve Smith, Tudur Jones, Wilbraham, K Smith (loan), Adeyemi (loan), McDonald 7 in![/quote]

In case you did not know, McDonald(Loan)  [:D]

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I think you only have to look at how the squad was changed from League One to the Championship to see that Lambert doesn''t hold much sentiment for players; of the starting players last night only Holt, Hoolahan and R. Martin were in the League One squad.

Lambert has reshaped the squad once before without destroying the team spirit, I have a feeling he will be doing it again this summer.

[/quote]

I''m glad someone''s got their head screwed on and can see the bigger picture. Sadly there will of course be a lot of players leaving this summer, especially if we want to create a team who can hold their own in the Prem. It is time for players who won''t make it here to go out and acheieve something for themselves, and I would like to thank each of them and hope they have a successful career.

However,I can count a minimum of six players needed to be in the starting 15 come August. Lambert''s a man on a mission, he knows we need ''a little helping hand'' in a few departments.

Too early to even go there.Go largely with what we''ve got and take it from there.

We should look to add some of the top players from the championship,

I would look at,

Pratley, Williams & Sinclair - Swansea

Mcgugan & Cohen(Born in Norwich too) - Forest

Whittingham - Cardiff

Graham & Sordell - Watford

Yakubu - Leicester

Snodgrass - Leeds

Nugent - Portsmouth

Eagles & Rodriguez - Burnley

Kebe&Long - Reading

Ambrose - Palace

Koren - Hull.

Three or Four from the above would be nice!

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Lambert is a very clever manager, when he brings players in he is challenging the present player to raise his game, which often they do. The new player has to prove themselves in training, look at Fox and Tierney. This pressure to perform drives the team on to greater highs. ultimately if these new players get in the side and perform and get results it is solely on ability they remain in the side. It drives the others on and builds team spirit. For the likes of Drury though it must be hard to take. Tierney though is in the side on performance alone. and that is fair.

H

An interesting conversation I had with a friend last night.Would you sign Rob Edwards on a permanent deal? He''s looked reliable when called upon, seems ok with the idea of being fourth choice in a great team, always warms up with real purpose and professionalism and will have been part of a great team spirit for 6 months come the start of next season.I wouldn''t have thought it would cost us much.Then we need to wrap up the loan signing of Lansbury for another season and Pacheco for a season and then move on from there.

Does the rule in the prem still apply that you can only loan from 1 club if you have a season long loan?

Norwich have a massive window of opportunity as they are the only Championship side who know they are promoted. I expect PL and DM to act quickly as PL likes to have his squad together early for pre-season. I expect a lot of activity pretty soon.