Sign in to follow this  
ChelmsfordCanary

lets not write off our existing players...

Some people on here are writing off our existing players already. I would agree a few additions to the team and squad would help.

We must give our players a chance. We have great team spirit which has been added to by some great loan signings.

The existing players have exceeded my expectation s this season and should have the opportunity to play in the top flight.

Lets put our faith in lambert and hope the board back him financially, i am confident he can take norwich to the next level.

The loss of the team spirit was our undoing last time in the Prem, let''s hope we don''t make the same mistake again.

That said i would like to see us add two or three Premier League quality players.

At the end of the day, yes i want to stay in the top flight, but this promotion, should be seen as something that garantees our future as a club, address the debts, invest a little in players

But i agree, lets not abandon the players that got us here in the first place, though to be honest, i doubt the club would do that anyway.

They all earnt thr right to a shot at the top.

I can''t see the majority of players that have played a significant part this season being replaced. One or two may find it harder to get games in the Premiership, with any additions Lambert may bring in, but I would imagine only the already-peripheral players will be released so that the squad is stronger.

If you look at the starting line up last night, only Holt, Hoolahan and Russell Martin remained from the team that got us promoted last season. I doubt we will see the same transformation this time as i feel some of our current team either deserve or look ready for the next step up.

Paul Lambert looks after his players as people which is why he commands such loyalty. I am confident he will do the right things by these players.

I believe we will keep our first 11.

Ruddy, Martin, Barnett, Whitbread, Tierney, Crofts, Hoolahan, Fox, Surman, Jackson, Holt

Best of the rest who could do a job: C. Martin, Lappin, Ward  <<  I personally don''t believe these players can cut it in the Prem, but they could do a squad job. I also have a minor doubt re Ruddy, but he''s earnt his chance for sure.

Based on the philosophy of 2 players in every position we are a good number short! If we had the luck of Doncaster with injuries we could have gone that way, so we need to start filling those positions with good young prospects.

Spend 10-15mil on 4 or 5 young players (Bennett etc) and then as the poster above said, use the rest reducing our debt and saving it to expand our stadium.

Another bonus for me (As if there wasn''t enough already!!) is that we will be in a decent reserve football league too.

We we last got promoted to the premierships we had a couple of players who were getting to the end of their careers. who at the time were unlikely to be a hit in the premiership i.e Iwan and Malky and we alos lost Crouch, the mistake then was not to replace Iwan and Crouch with a decent Target manand we got someone in Ashton to late, I believe as many other do that if we has signed Ashton in the summer instead of the winter we would have stayed up.That mistake cost us dearly.

This time out of our main 15 players we will lose Lansbury & Pacheco (who haven''t been in our starting 11 recently)So we need to replace then, perhaps we can retain on loan or even purchase them who knows.It is obvious that we need a decent target man /striker this year also, perhaps CMS for a price closer to 2mill ? Bennett also ?and general replacement of the squad players who are only squad players and weren''t really used this year.I think our starting 11 should be given the chance to perform in the premiership and the team spirit may just be enough to make an impact.A very interesting time ahead

I agree mate, we have a very strong squad of players here, but as Lambo would say "they will need a little bit of help!"I am confident that with a few quality additions to our squad that we can push on and finish in the top 10 next season and maybe even surprise be by doing a little bit better than that.  All these people that think that we are going to be in a relegation scrap all season next year can think what they like.  Lambert and the boys will prove them wrong!!!

[quote user="Downloads"]

I believe we will keep our first 11.

Ruddy, Martin, Barnett, Whitbread, Tierney, Crofts, Hoolahan, Fox, Surman, Jackson, Holt

Best of the rest who could do a job: C. Martin, Lappin, Ward  <<  I personally don''t believe these players can cut it in the Prem, but they could do a squad job. I also have a minor doubt re Ruddy, but he''s earnt his chance for sure.

Based on the philosophy of 2 players in every position we are a good number short! If we had the luck of Doncaster with injuries we could have gone that way, so we need to start filling those positions with good young prospects.

Spend 10-15mil on 4 or 5 young players (Bennett etc) and then as the poster above said, use the rest reducing our debt and saving it to expand our stadium.

[/quote]How have you got Barnett in our starting 11?Ward and Whitbread are our first choice centre halves and Ward is the leader of our whole defence.  Ward is the organiser of the back four and he is the one who also encourages the back four to always play football and stroke the ball out of defence for Fox to distribute.Can''t believe how many people still don''t realise how good Ward is.  The same kind of people who said that Simeon Jackson was not up to it no doubt???

[quote user="whoareyou"]

The loss of the team spirit was our undoing last time in the Prem, let''s hope we don''t make the same mistake again.

That said i would like to see us add two or three Premier League quality players.

[/quote]

Lambert could have a whole new 11, and keep team spirit. Only 2 player from yesterdays line up was playing when we secured promotion last season, (Hoolahan and Holt weren''t) The GK, 3 of hte back 4, 3 of the 4 in the middle and 1 of the strikers have all changed from last season.

I haven''t seen people writing out players of, i''ve just seen suggestions for new players. I think we are all maybe going a bit crazy, with a mixture of happiness, and wanting to see our team become a stable premiership side. And are trying to spend the money before we get it.

Essentially what ever Lambert does, will be to improve the starting X1 or the squad, and all of the other players in the team will support him along the way. Did you see what Holt said about Lambert? They love him.

I think we need to add to the squad, but they all deserve a chance to prove themselves, just like they have this season. I also think Lambert will give them a chance and the determination of the whole squad is what has got us into the Premiership and, hopefully, will keep us there.

I cannot believe we''ve done it! I never, ever thought Cardiff would lose at home yesterday! OTBC

Good Interview, related to this post somewhat.[url="http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/championship/7141/3/exclusive-lambert-norwich-must-spend-stay-premier-league"]Lambert Talksport Interview[\url]

Link below. As you can see from my previous post and my signature i cannot add hyperlinks, anyone know how to?http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/championship/7141/3/exclusive-lambert-norwich-must-spend-stay-premier-league

The issue for us next season is going to be defence. Swansea recently gave a glimpse of what a skilled and pacey attack can do to us - and their are plenty of those in the Prem.

We have only approx. 8th or 9th best defence in the Championship. I doubt if that will be good enough to keep out even the mid-table sides such as Villa and Newcastle from whom we will need to take points if we are to survive.

[quote user="Smudger"]
Can''t believe how many people still don''t realise how good Ward is.  [/quote]

I know, I find that hard to believe as well.

Ward has had a brilliant debut season in a Norwich shirt. He''s been just as important as the likes of Holt, Hoolahan, Crofts and Russell Martin.

The only thing I find hard to believe is that Norwich City have got 3 central defenders as good as Ward, Barnett and Whitbread.

I''m not sure the Swansea game really showed defensive weakness. They scored 2 amazing goals that 49 times out of 50 would''ve missed and then got the 3rd when we were going all out attack trying to get something from the game. Apart from their goals we coped pretty well with them defensively and its was a pretty even match.

That''s not to say we don''t need to strengthen at the back. What I think we need is to bring in players so we can be more flexible with our formation. Lambert has tried a few times this season to go with something other than the diamond but we never look very confident without it. In the Prem we''ll need to be able to mix it up.

For me what we need is an experience back-up gk so that Rudd and Steer can hopefully go out on loan. We need another left sided centreback to compete with Whitbread, we need a rb to give competition to Martin. Then I''d say we need to sign or replace Lansbury and Pacheco as cover for Crofts and Wessi. Then maybe someone to compete with Fox, keep Lappin and Surman fighting for the left spot in the diamond. Then bring in a couple of wingers (hopefully Bennett off Brighton and a left winger (who is good)) finally a striker or 2 to push Holt and Jackson, depending on whether Lambert reckons C.Martin is up to it.

So that for me is 9 or 10 players to bring in... seems like a lot but part of the problem teams like Blackpool are having is they don''t have enough of a squad to see the season through.

As mentioned before the first eleven have a lot to offer still, I''d actually keep a lot of our players on the bench too.

Cull off the squad players who aren''t getting the games and bring in some quality to create some fierce competition for places, it''s all about having strength in depth in any league.