Sign in to follow this  
DiscoDalesTatties

Are we happy with Ruddy?

It''s a tough one to call, he started a little shakey but has made some crucial saves this season.

But do you think he''ll cut it against the likes of Rooney, Wilshere et al?

A beefed up defence will help of course...

Yes I am happy Ruddy. He has settled in very well and after an indifferent start. Has a fantastic attitude to boot as well. The only question that remains for me is how good are Rudd and Steer? If Ruddy got injured or suspended would we be happy throwing in an inexperienced keeper or do we need more cover/someone to push Ruddy. I just remember how Gunny''s injury cost us dear the first team we were up there.

We obviously wouldn''t have got to where we are if we had any weak links in the team.

Ruddy has his good points and he has his bad points. Same as pretty much any player.

[quote user="GJP"]

We obviously wouldn''t have got to where we are if we had any weak links in the team.

Ruddy has his good points and he has his bad points. Same as pretty much any player.

[/quote]

Happy? Put simply? No. A decent shot-stopper but the judgment and positional sense of a stuffed aardvark.

How can we not be?

I would think we''ll sign another keeper and the best one will play. Declan needs to play games and hopefully a year on loan to a decent League One or Championship club will allow him to do that. He won''t get much experience constantly on the bench.

Yes. I was highly critical of him after the first month or so, and was calling for Rudd to be given a chance, but Ruddy has shown incredible character and passion for the club and has been solid for us for the majority of the season. He didn''t let the mistakes affect him and I have no problems whatsoever nwith him being our number one next season.[quote user="General Melchett"]I still feel a slight tightening in my buttock area when a pass back goes to him. Great shot stopper though.[/quote]Really? After Forster? Compared to Fraser, Ruddy''s ability with the all at his feet is excellent.

not a criticsm of Ruddy or any goalkeeper in heneral but anyone who says a keeper is a "great shot stopper" doesnt know whats required of the role...Find em a Goalkeeper that isnt a good shot stopper? they also need to command their area, come for crosses, understand angles, be good with back passes etc...we can all put our arm out and save a shot.. that makes us "good shot stoppers" being a goal keeper is more in depth!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]not a criticsm of Ruddy or any goalkeeper in heneral but anyone who says a keeper is a "great shot stopper" doesnt know whats required of the role...Find em a Goalkeeper that isnt a good shot stopper? they also need to command their area, come for crosses, understand angles, be good with back passes etc...we can all put our arm out and save a shot.. that makes us "good shot stoppers" being a goal keeper is more in depth![/quote]Chris Kirkland. He is shit.I see your point though, and I feel that Ruddy is good at all of the four other things you mentioned. It''s just that he has a little bit of the ''Gomes'' about him, i.e. the blunder that comes out of nowhere...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]not a criticsm of Ruddy or any goalkeeper in heneral but anyone who says a keeper is a "great shot stopper" doesnt know whats required of the role...Find em a Goalkeeper that isnt a good shot stopper? they also need to command their area, come for crosses, understand angles, be good with back passes etc...we can all put our arm out and save a shot.. that makes us "good shot stoppers" being a goal keeper is more in depth![/quote]Chris Kirkland. He is shit.I see your point though, and I feel that Ruddy is good at all of the four other things you mentioned. It''s just that he has a little bit of the ''Gomes'' about him, i.e. the blunder that comes out of nowhere...

Yes, I think he''s good enough for the Premiership. I don''t think he''s had a lower match rating than 6 in any newspaper this season, which is not bad going at all. If Lambert''s happy with him then I''m happy as I trust his judgment implicitly.

Yes.

Hes made a couple of mistakes this season but imo mistakes are over thought of when judging a footballer, if you took away say his 3 mistakes and had the opposition score 4 more goals over the course of the season through normal play we would still all be saying he''s a quality keeper - despite actually conceding more. I think the same (albeit crap) analogy can be applied to Doherty.

im 100% sure he will be our number 1 next season.

Happy, but at Prem level we need two top keepers as all points are vital. Injuries or loss of confidence will happen and we do not have ample replacement. Get Forster if we can.

Yes his kept around 11 clean sheets or so.

Not going to start pointing the finger at any player as they have been brilliant this season, but a lot of the 56 goals we''ve conceded have been down to sloppy marking and falling asleep when set pieces have been taken, there has only been half a dozen or so which Ruddy could of prevented.

Just hours after our promotion and this thread pops up.The timing has me saying to the OP get a life.[:@]

[quote user="paul moy"]

Happy, but at Prem level we need two top keepers as all points are vital. Injuries or loss of confidence will happen and we do not have ample replacement. Get Forster if we can.

[/quote]

Foster would be a stupid transfer, unless Rudd and Steer are both rubbish. I''m not saying either of them are ready to cover Ruddy next season, but a keeper like Steve Harper (not him though) would be better, someone older, but is happy to sit on the bench, so at least one of Rudd and Steer can go out on loan to get some first team football, maybe both.

Allot of people are really happy with

him... So why am I not? I look back over the season and 1 or 2 saves

stand out that were crucial saves. But all of the saves you would

expect the keeper to make. The thing that makes the difference is.

How many time this season have you thought maybe he should have done

better there.. or felt worried of his decision making. He never pulls

of a save where you think wow. I wouldn''t have seen another keeper

make that. Put him in goal and the Charlton game last season and I

honestly don''t think the game would have been the same result. Add

that with the errors he''s made this season I just am not 100% sure of

him..I don''t wanna criticise him. But its the way I feel .

Ruddy for me is the best all round keeper we''ve had since Greeno. Shot stopping, kicking, command of the area, decision making are all up there in my eyes. I think next season will highlight that in abundance.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Just hours after our promotion and this thread pops up.The timing has me saying to the OP get a life.[:@][/quote]

Well from my perspective, it''s to gauge thoughts on our goal keeper. People are entitled to their opinion and think about the forthcoming season and who/how we ensure survival.

Nowt wrong with that surely. We''re hardly moaning about Ruddy, quite the opposite; he''s being highly praised.