Sign in to follow this  
@jayncfc

A word for the Pompey fans

I went down to the Pompey match the night before and we spent the whole day in Portsmouth, I would like to say what a credit that place was to football. We initially went to the good companion, claiming that they were a Sky Sports pub so we were looking forward to being there maybe for the whole day, possibly not, but to set up camp at an away pub. When we got there they no longer had Sky for one reason or another. We had a bite to eat there and the manager went over options of other Sky pubs, what to do and even called us a cab to go to the seaside.The cab driver continued to talk to us about pubs that we could visit, what was going on in the city that day (some horse thing?) and the fare was cheap. We pottered about there, seeing some Pompey fans and having a chat, was all good fun and animosity from them. Got another cab back to the ground, another nice driver who wished Norwich luck.We met the Pompey fan (you know the one always on Sky) who has happy to have a picture, wished us luck in the match and said he hoped we went to the Premiership. We then pitched up nice and early in the Shepards Crook, where the only bad thing of the day. The cheeky pub landlord decided to go around slyly stealing seats as soon as you stood up so there was room for people to stand and watch the match. It''s fine if you need the room, but just tell people. WEIRD. After the match I went and got a cheeky McDonalds on the way home, another Pompey fan wishing us luck in the Premiership and was happy that the (and I quote) "Sheepshaggers" didn''t get it.All in all a great place, lovely atmosphere and not too overpriced. I wish them all the best in the future.

Last time I went to Fratton Park, I had exactly the same experience - a real good bunch of fans who were a credit to their club. Last night I had to settle for watching the match in the seaside town of Swanage in Dorset, lots of Pompey fans (and many supporters from other teams) had turned up to watch the match. Again, a great bunch who were very complimentary about us, and very generous, got bought lots of drinks and I of course returned the favour - Watching the match, some of those weren''t very impressed with Hreidersson''s antics last night, seemed to have a bee in his bonnet from the off.Bottom line is that I came away thinking there''s a set of supporters that don''t deserve the nonsense they''ve had from previous owners etc - Best of luck to them in future.

I was going to post something about one of their songs...

''You fat b*stard'' towards Grant Holt, they obviously left off ''But we would love to have you upfront, as we only have an OAP''.

I thought the same. I lost my phone in the full time whistle melee. I phoned them this morning and they had it and said they would send it recorded delivery today, and refused my offer to pay P&P. I will always have a soft spot for them after last night.

[quote user="Alex"]Last time I went to Fratton Park, I had exactly the same experience - a real good bunch of fans who were a credit to their club. Last night I had to settle for watching the match in the seaside town of Swanage in Dorset, lots of Pompey fans (and many supporters from other teams) had turned up to watch the match. Again, a great bunch who were very complimentary about us, and very generous, got bought lots of drinks and I of course returned the favour - Watching the match, some of those weren''t very impressed with Hreidersson''s antics last night, seemed to have a bee in his bonnet from the off.Bottom line is that I came away thinking there''s a set of supporters that don''t deserve the nonsense they''ve had from previous owners etc - Best of luck to them in future.[/quote]

Good point about Hreidersson. I''m all for competing but I wonder why he was so needlessly aggressive in a game where they had nothing to gain from winning. Seemed a really nasty piece of work. Didn''t he give the ball away which led to the move from which we scored ?

Agreed, obviously I wasn''t in amongst them to hear individual comments but they were very patient in waiting for the pitch to clear for their lap of honour and I was glad our fans applauded their players as they came by, touch of class.

Oh and agree about Pompey- a proud club with good history. I can remember reading the internet-published Administrators Report on them when they had the 10pt deduction a couple of seasons ago. The financial mis-management of their club was shocking and their fans really deserved better. 

Great bunch of fans, wandered up from the station towards to Good Companions pub and asked three programme sellers where the pub was and did the know the score at Cardiff

Advised against the pub as it was packed out and pointed me towards another one (with TV !) - then told me it was 3-0. 3-0 I thought, not even a half hour gone that''s us farked, until one added that we were now certain of going up. It was the Boro who were 3 up.

Seems to be a lot of bad blood between Pompey and Cardiff. Didn''t see anything directed towards us. Their fans made quite a bit of noise all game and were quite decent about our celebrations and us going up.

Good luck to them next season.

[quote user="Al Catraz"]

[quote user="Alex"]Last time I went to Fratton Park, I had exactly the same experience - a real good bunch of fans who were a credit to their club. Last night I had to settle for watching the match in the seaside town of Swanage in Dorset, lots of Pompey fans (and many supporters from other teams) had turned up to watch the match. Again, a great bunch who were very complimentary about us, and very generous, got bought lots of drinks and I of course returned the favour - Watching the match, some of those weren''t very impressed with Hreidersson''s antics last night, seemed to have a bee in his bonnet from the off.Bottom line is that I came away thinking there''s a set of supporters that don''t deserve the nonsense they''ve had from previous owners etc - Best of luck to them in future.[/quote]

Good point about Hreidersson. I''m all for competing but I wonder why he was so needlessly aggressive in a game where they had nothing to gain from winning. Seemed a really nasty piece of work. Didn''t he give the ball away which led to the move from which we scored ?

[/quote]

Hreidersson looked like he had wound himself up a treat. While the players were waiting in the tunnel I remember thinking how relaxed Holty looked, chatting with the mascot and smiling a lot. The Icelandic plank was the last to arrive, made his way to the front avoiding eye contact with anyone, puffing his chest out and breathing like a weightlifter about to go for the big one. Should have been back in the tunnel after 5 minutes, any other ref than D''Urso he probably would have been.

I also thought it was a nice touch when the mascots were doing a lap of honour before the game and the Pompey guy in charge picked up the one Norwich mascot so we could all cheer him :o) What a great memory for that little lad.

[quote]I also thought it was a nice touch when the mascots were doing a lap of honour before the game and the Pompey guy in charge picked up the one Norwich mascot so we could all cheer him :o) What a great memory for that little lad.[/quote]Very true, very nice touch and the guy coming over the mic saying well done Norwich City for promotion, didn''t need to but they did! Can''t believe that Baaaaahdiff got family ground of the year, do they just get these winners out of a hat?

The Pompey fans were friendly and accomodating. The Fratton end was in song all night, and didn''t resort to the usual incest/norfolk tripe and it was great atmosphere with both fans singing along together (yarmy/blue-army and stand up if you hate the scum). I felt a tad sorry for them when we invaded the pitch, which is didn''t join in because of that, but they were respectful even whilst waiting. Great set of fans and really feel sorry for them for what their owners have done to their club.

[quote user="jayncfc"] We pottered about there, seeing some Pompey fans and having a chat, was all good fun and animosity from them. Got another cab back to the ground, another nice driver who wished Norwich luck.

[/quote]

I''ll help you out here my dear as you seem to be struggling;

an·i·mos·i·ty

–noun, plural -ties.

a feeling of strong dislike, ill will, or enmity that tends to display itself in action: a deep-seated animosity between two sisters; animosity against one''s neighbor.

[quote user="Kathy"]I thought the same. I lost my phone in the full time whistle melee. I phoned them this morning and they had it and said they would send it recorded delivery today, and refused my offer to pay P&P. I will always have a soft spot for them after last night.[/quote]

That''s a really nice gesture, even if it doesn''t cost the club much it''s nice.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="jayncfc"] We pottered about there, seeing some Pompey fans and having a chat, was all good fun and animosity from them. Got another cab back to the ground, another nice driver who wished Norwich luck.[/quote]

an·i·mos·i·ty

–noun, plural -ties.

a feeling of strong dislike, ill will, or enmity that tends to display itself in action: a deep-seated animosity between two sisters; animosity against one''s neighbor.
[/quote]I missed out the word no as in NO ANIMOSITY you troll! I am sorry I missed out one word on a post, I wouldn''t use a word that I didn''t know the meaning of. Get a life, or is yours so dire that you have to point out slight mistakes of others to make you feel in some way superior to them, dear.

[quote user="Kathy"]I thought the same. I lost my phone in the full time whistle melee. I phoned them this morning and they had it and said they would send it recorded delivery today, and refused my offer to pay P&P. I will always have a soft spot for them after last night.[/quote]

There was me thinking your soft spot was reserved solely for Grant but now its open house for anybody within the Portsmouth postcode.[:D]

They were immense. Every fan that I saw after the match congratulated us. Before the game we were welcomed to their fans day and many fans came up to us wishing us all the best (most of them actually admitted they wanted us to win the game). They were a credit to themselves and behind getting promotion it made the trip!

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="jayncfc"] We pottered about there, seeing some Pompey fans and having a chat, was all good fun and animosity from them. Got another cab back to the ground, another nice driver who wished Norwich luck.[/quote]

an·i·mos·i·ty

–noun, plural -ties.

[/quote]

pa·tron·ising

–verb (used with object),
to behave in an offensively condescending manner toward: a professor who patronises his students.

twat  (twæt, twɒt)1. a foolish or despicable person