Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Norwich vs Ipswich past glory disputes....

Should QPR be docked points which ultimately ''hands'' us the Championship title... 2 things:

1. Who is on record of winning the 1988 Seoul Olympics 100m final? Ben Johnson might have crossed the line first but the record books show Carl Lewis as the winner. Johnson cheated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1988_Summer_Olympics

2. During season 2007/08, Leeds were docked 15 points for gong into administration in the summer of 2007. But for their points deduction, they would have finished 2nd ahead of Forest, who subsequently got promoted in their place.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/DivisionalLeagueTable/0,,10794~200725,00.html

The moral to this story is for those who say, should

we win the title it would be a hollow award.... poppycock!!! We would have won it because the other side in question had committed a ''crime''. Fortunately for us we (and possibly Cardiff) have made sure that we are the team in line to take advantage of this. I don''t recall either Carl Lewis or Notts Forest claim a ''hollow'' victory. Surely to do so would be a rather large slap in the face of rules and regulations that we all need to be following, at all times.

Oh, and the Ipswich thing..... should this happen, the Football League Trophy will show Ipswich''s name on it once (1961 I think) and Norwich name TWICE (2004 and 2011???).

[quote user="flecky76"]Should QPR be docked points which ultimately ''hands'' us the Championship title... 2 things:

1. Who is on record of winning the 1988 Seoul Olympics 100m final? Ben Johnson might have crossed the line first but the record books show Carl Lewis as the winner. Johnson cheated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1988_Summer_Olympics

2. During season 2007/08, Leeds were docked 15 points for gong into administration in the summer of 2007. But for their points deduction, they would have finished 2nd ahead of Forest, who subsequently got promoted in their place.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/DivisionalLeagueTable/0,,10794~200725,00.html

The moral to this story is for those who say, should

we win the title it would be a hollow award.... poppycock!!! We would have won it because the other side in question had committed a ''crime''. Fortunately for us we (and possibly Cardiff) have made sure that we are the team in line to take advantage of this. I don''t recall either Carl Lewis or Notts Forest claim a ''hollow'' victory. Surely to do so would be a rather large slap in the face of rules and regulations that we all need to be following, at all times.

Oh, and the Ipswich thing..... should this happen, the Football League Trophy will show Ipswich''s name on it once (1961 I think) and Norwich name TWICE (2004 and 2011???).[/quote] Brilliant post. Point made very well.As for us getting our name on it once more than 1p5wich, well that''s extra incentive for us all to hope QPR get those points docked.Keep those fingers crossed!

If it came to it, I would gladly take the ''Champions'' title, without a hint of shame/embarrassment. If they broke the rules, they broke the rules, and must take the punishment.

[quote user="flecky76"] Oh, and the Ipswich thing..... should this happen, the Football League Trophy will show Ipswich''s name on it once (1961 I think) and Norwich name TWICE (2004 and 2011???).[/quote]It will be the newer Championship trophy, rather than the old Division One trophy. But we know what you mean.

[quote user="flecky76"]

Oh, and the Ipswich thing..... should this happen, the Football League Trophy will show Ipswich''s name on it once (1961 I think) and Norwich name TWICE (2004 and 2011???).[/quote]We''ve already been champions of the second tier three times 71-72, 85-86 and 03-04.