Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Arsenal fans views on Lansbury etc

A few interesting posts on here - Clearly rated highly by their fans...

http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86001&start=1350

Really hope we get him back on a season long loan, or maybe even permanent. Apparently he''ll be eligible for Arsenal''s last two games of the season, will be interesting to see if he gets a chance.

He''s a good player but there''s a long way to go for him yet, there''s still a lot to his game that needs to come together a bit more.

The way he''s mostly been on the bench for us in recent weeks tells you that he''s not quite there.

[quote user="GJP"]

He''s a good player but there''s a long way to go for him yet, there''s still a lot to his game that needs to come together a bit more.

The way he''s mostly been on the bench for us in recent weeks tells you that he''s not quite there.

[/quote]

I totally agree that he''s far from the finished article, but do feel he would be a good addition to our squad now we''ve got promoted. Likewise Pacheco, a catch 22, do we have a go at signing them now or do we wait till they''ve established themselves over the next few seasons - Where their transfer fees will no doubt be through the roof. These are players I think we should be trying to make an early move on, building for the future...

Don''t want him. Too much of a dandy.New keeper and defence strengthening first then see how Holt et al get on.

Also we need to remember that in the Premiership we will probably have more time on the ball, so players like Lansbury, Pacheco and Hoolahan will have more time and composure to produce them killer passes. I also think despite being great this year, Fox could be key next season as he loves spraying the ball about from the middle, and with more time on the ball he will be able to really dictate the tempo of our play. I think a player such as Crofts will be a very good defensive asset next year, but will find it harder to make the same impact as an attacking outlet when played on the right in the Premiership as he did in the Championship. The premier league is no doubt a step up, I just think for some players, the style of play in the Premiership could actually be benefital to them next season, despite the fact they have already done terrific in the Championship. 

[quote user="alysha"]Also we need to remember that in the Premiership we will probably have more time on the ball, so players like Lansbury, Pacheco and Hoolahan will have more time and composure to produce them killer passes. I also think despite being great this year, Fox could be key next season as he loves spraying the ball about from the middle, and with more time on the ball he will be able to really dictate the tempo of our play. I think a player such as Crofts will be a very good defensive asset next year, but will find it harder to make the same impact as an attacking outlet when played on the right in the Premiership as he did in the Championship. The premier league is no doubt a step up, I just think for some players, the style of play in the Premiership could actually be benefital to them next season, despite the fact they have already done terrific in the Championship. [/quote]

Agreed Alysha, I think we''ll need a few more players purely for strength in depth, I''m happy with our team from a technical point of view amongst other things. You only have to look at Crofts in the Wales v England game - He did not look out of place whatsoever. I do agree with Cluck though, we will need more in the defensive department, Whitbread etc have more than played their part this season and I salute them but we''ll need some (give me strength)ening there ;) - or at least top notch competition. I also think Holt will prove his worth in the Premiership, and that Hoolahan will yet again be a key player. Can''t remember being this excited about an upcoming season in 30 plus years of following us.... From top to bottom everything feels so solid about our club!.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "]Don''t want him. Too much of a dandy.New keeper and defence strengthening first then see how Holt et al get on.[/quote]

Blimey. Never thought I''d agree with Cluck but I do.

Doesn''t track his men; doesn''t do enough going forward - always looking for the killer pass so he looks good and consequently gives away possession.

We have more pressing needs.

[quote user="alysha"]Also we need to remember that in the Premiership we will probably have more time on the ball, so players like Lansbury, Pacheco and Hoolahan will have more time and composure to produce them killer passes. I also think despite being great this year, Fox could be key next season as he loves spraying the ball about from the middle, and with more time on the ball he will be able to really dictate the tempo of our play. I think a player such as Crofts will be a very good defensive asset next year, but will find it harder to make the same impact as an attacking outlet when played on the right in the Premiership as he did in the Championship. The premier league is no doubt a step up, I just think for some players, the style of play in the Premiership could actually be benefital to them next season, despite the fact they have already done terrific in the Championship. [/quote]

I don''t really agree with this, I know that guy said it on Late Kick Off but players usually get less time (there was some Opta Stat I saw about the Premier League giving players the least amount of decision time of any league in the world). The reason it seems like they have more time is that the higher quality players make things look quicker and easier. Players like Fabregas and Arteta know the next 2 to 3 passes in the chain before they happen, this means they create milliseconds of time for themselves, which is all they need. Any poor first touch or indecision in the Premier League usually results in having the ball nicked off your toe.

Not sure about Lansbury next year, he has been on the subs bench most of his time here and doesn''t quite fit into the diamond formation. I can''t see how his time here will have convinced Wenger that he is good enough for the Arsenal team so he might be available in the summer - 21/22 is the age Arsenal start to let younger players who haven''t quite made it leave.

Bethnal Y&G has hit the nail on the head...

You certaintly don''t get more time on the ball in the Premierleague, the better players (arteta, fabregas) as stated by Bethnal just make it look like you do because their football brain is quicker. In fact it''s the total opposite, you get far less. I''m sure any professional footballer would state as you go up each league, the pace get''s quicker and quicker.

Back to the point....Henri Lansbury.

Reading the arsenal fans opinions on the OP''s original link, I think they are spot on. Lansbury will never be a star player ala wilshere/ramsay but a decent squad player or as they suggest a decent first XI player for a mid-table side.

The sort of player we should buy to become an established premier league side.

I agree with "Cluck", which is apparently not good.Lansbury is a bit of a big time charlie, like Bentley was.Pacheco fine, he is an obvious raw talent far in excess of Lansbury.But what we need is to cover the "basics" with some experience, ie:An experienced, Holt-like striker.A powerful central midfielder (in the mould of Etuhu, Francis, ie, a Viera who can hold the middle of the pitch)Cover and competition at right and left back.If we do that, and Lansbury is cheap, then fine pay his wages for Arsenal so he can come on for 10 minutes a week.