Sign in to follow this  
Yella_Forever

I saw Dean Ashton out....

On Thursday night I was out in the city and saw Dean Ashton he looked a bit of a glum figure next to the girl dressed as a green fairy on his arm.... hardly reconised him... Limping badly he was too.... Could of been an England great that guy... I only mention him as it brought back memories of our last premier league visit...

Dean - "I hope it brings a smile to your face.... watching on as we beat Manchester United at home again!!

OTBC!!!!

I''m afraid I have little sympathy for him.....and furthermore now that West Ham look like they''re going down , I suppose Ashton will want to ''attach'' himself to us again, in media circles ?!...........oh and another thing, no Robert Green, we don''t want you back !

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''m afraid I have little sympathy for him.....and furthermore now that West Ham look like they''re going down , I suppose Ashton will want to ''attach'' himself to us again, in media circles ?!...........oh and another thing, no Robert Green, we don''t want you back ![/quote]I''d have Greeno back - great ''keeper with Prem experience who has an affection for the club

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''m afraid I have little sympathy for him.....and furthermore now that West Ham look like they''re going down , I suppose Ashton will want to ''attach'' himself to us again, in media circles ?!...........oh and another thing, no Robert Green, we don''t want you back ![/quote]

Bit harsh mate, he''s been living back in Norwich since he retired hasn''t he and it''s hardly his fault that wet spam get a lot more media coverage than us.

[quote user="The Saturday Boy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''m afraid I have little sympathy for him.....and furthermore now that West Ham look like they''re going down , I suppose Ashton will want to ''attach'' himself to us again, in media circles ?!...........oh and another thing, no Robert Green, we don''t want you back ![/quote]
I''d have Greeno back - great ''keeper with Prem experience who has an affection for the club
[/quote]

I''d have him back too!

Could not give a damn about Dean Cashton, totally disloyal player who got what he deserved. Rob Green on the other hand was a true city legend and would love to have him back at the club, but I think he''s probably off to Villa.

Some people on here are amazing.

Please explain what exactly he did wrong when leaving us? Or is it just sour grapes that he did leave?

OTBC

Its about loyalty, the loyal few stayed to put right what happened at Fulham on the final day the rest deserted the sinking ship like rats. Cashton falls into the rat category. Credit to Greeno he gave us a season when he could easily have left sooner.

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Its about loyalty, the loyal few stayed to put right what happened at Fulham on the final day the rest deserted the sinking ship like rats. Cashton falls into the rat category. Credit to Greeno he gave us a season when he could easily have left sooner.
[/quote]

Ashton left in the January for £7.25m perhaps it was us cashing in on him? And Ashton has come out and said there were unsavoury rumours that he was gay when he was at Norwich, ever considered that? If memory serves me correctly he still finished that season our top scorer? Maybe if the rest of the team had pulled their weight we''d have made a better fist of it. But hey ho.

For the record, Dean Ashton was one of the best strikers i''ve seen at Carrow Rd. All round brilliant talent that was cut short by the waste of space that is Shaun Wright Phillips.

Hang on a second. Ashton was one of the few players who didnt go missing on that afternoon in Fulham. He stayed on the next season  until January and gave it a real go. But like the rest of us ,he saw we were going nowhere and moved on to progress his career. Maginificent centre forward and a real shame that he isnt partnering Rooney in the England side these days.

You''ve got to remember that it wasn''t Ashton that handled the situation badly, it was the club. The club wanted to sell him, Worthy wanted to keep him, the club handled it terribly, I''m just glad things are different now. In McNally and Lambert we trust!

I find this shocking, Ashton was by far one of the most talented players I have ever seen pull on a City shirt, and if my memory serves me correctly the man never once voice nor displayed any desire to leave this club. It was the club who chose to sell him which was hardly surprising considering the position the club was in having just funded the construction of 2 new stands and what would have been the most expensive year in the history of the club in terms of operating costs. A profit of over £4 million was and is a very good piece of business. I for one will welcome the big man back in whatever capacity whenever he should be given the opportunity and sill consider his untimely retirement as the biggest loss the English game has seen for many a year.

[quote user="In Dubious Battle "]Its about loyalty, the loyal few stayed to put right what happened at Fulham on the final day the rest deserted the sinking ship like rats. Cashton falls into the rat category. Credit to Greeno he gave us a season when he could easily have left sooner.
[/quote]

Some people''s memory seems very clouded as to when and how he actually left. So which players stayed and put right what happened at Fulham? As I remember a couple disaster years of football, where poor players were brought in and we sunk to the worst position in fifty years.

If you cast your mind back, he signed a good contract extension with us, thereby getting one chunk of money, then played with little effort for a few months, had a clause in his contract or insisted on another payout from us on leaving which was pretty large about 250k-300k i believe and then got a signing on fee from W Ham. All in 4 months.

Hence the term Cashton

I feel really sorry for him people forget these players are only young guys.

I used to believe in things like loyalty etc when it comes to sport but then one day playing Rugby I dislocated my shoulder and thought to myself shit if i was a professional player that would have been a good chunk of my season screwed and the shoulder has never been as good since.

Dean Ashton made the right choice he was a really good player for Norwich and he had to cash in whilst he could and thankfully he got a good contract before he was injured.

If he had been rubbish for us he would have been in the reserves and out the door as fast as you like. We fans are not forgiving either one only has to look at Simeon Jackson. Imagine someone bids 3 million for him now he could turn around and say screw you norwich fans you hated me and wanted Cody Mcdonald!

I wish him all the best and at least he got some cash and got to play with the best for a while for many they dont even get that far.

I can''t believe some of the comments on here.  DA did what most people would do and looked out for himself.  Unfortunately it didn''t work, Dean is probably the best striker England never had.   Thanks for the memories Newcastle, Man U and the rest, pity it wasn''t from the beggining of the season.  If Grant half the player in Prem as DA we are in for a great season. 

The constant bashing of our ex-players on here never ceases to amaze me.

In ANY other walk of life it''s accepted that you do what''s best for you and your family. It ultimately may not work out, but at the the time it seems like the best thing. Don''t forget agents (spit) will be trying to get better deals for players and have a big influence in what they do.

I think it''s a great testament to this club that ex players still have very kind things to say about their time at Norwich.

[quote user="jamesg"]If you cast your mind back, he signed a good contract extension with us, thereby getting one chunk of money, then played with little effort for a few months, had a clause in his contract or insisted on another payout from us on leaving which was pretty large about 250k-300k i believe and then got a signing on fee from W Ham. All in 4 months. Hence the term Cashton[/quote]

Yes because everybody remembers him as Dean Cashton.

Talk about tunnel vision! [:@]Did Holt show Shrewsbury loyalty when he left them for us? Or Hoolahan for Blackpool? These guys are doing a job, they''re not fans. If they come here and develop an affection for Norwich like Hucks then that''s great, but you can''t expect it.

I dont think we can blame Ashton for anything. Or Earnshaw, Etuhu or anyone else who was transferred out in that period. I think the real blame should lay with Neil Doncaster. Just about every transfer in and out seemed a total cock up i.e. last minute, too expensive, too public, not public enough etc etc.

We wont get any of this fanny with McNally at the helm.

On a  side note Carlos V (el Pibe),  i reckon Fox should be getting his barnet grown out into the Valdie afro....El Pibe is up there with I.Crook as the best passing midfielder i have ever witnessed. An absolute legend and is still adored in Colombia.

[quote user="jamesg"]If you cast your mind back, he signed a good contract extension with us, thereby getting one chunk of money, then played with little effort for a few months, had a clause in his contract or insisted on another payout from us on leaving which was pretty large about 250k-300k i believe and then got a signing on fee from W Ham. All in 4 months. Hence the term Cashton[/quote]

He waved these fees, so that the move could happen. He signed a one-year extension in the summer, which if anything probably raised the fee we got from West Ham for him.

I''ve warmed towards Dean Ashton recently as he obviously has an affection towards Norwich and it seems he is more attached to the club post career than either Crewe or West Ham.

I remember getting very angry at QPR about 5 or 6 seasons ago when we lost 3-0 and Dean Ashton turning to the crowd and with genuine concern asking for our support.

When he left I thought stuff him but in reflection I don''t feel like that at all.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Talk about tunnel vision! [:@]Did Holt show Shrewsbury loyalty when he left them for us? >[/quote]

Grant Holt showed Shrewsbury every loyalty. I work with a Shrews season rticket holder who told me Grant Holt helped engineer a bigger fee for his side when Norwich and others came calling, he regularly returns to the club and helps with fund raising events, and he put his own hand in his pocket to a tune of a good few zeros when the Shrews were threatened with administration.

You think he''s a Legend with us?? - He bloody well walks on water in Shrewsbury.

[quote user="6088m canary"]On a  side note Carlos V (el Pibe),  i reckon Fox should be getting his barnet grown out into the Valdie afro....El Pibe is up there with I.Crook as the best passing midfielder i have ever witnessed. An absolute legend and is still adored in Colombia.

[/quote]

The kid is probably my favourite player of all time. Went on holiday to Orlando quite a few years back and the hotel I was staying in was offering tickets and bus to watch Tampa Bay Mutiny (who he played for at the time). I still kick myself to this day that I didnt go.

Love the comparison Chippy...If Valderrama had the hair then chippy certainly had the nose!!!!

Dean Ashton was the best striker I''ve ever seen play for Norwich, and my memory covers Craig Bellamy, Chris Sutton, Robert Earnshaw, Robert Fleck and Kevin Drinkell.

He left because Norwich sold him, I don''t remember him going public with transfer requests or falling out with anyone. And as mentioned above some of the comments on here about him at that time were so offensive, I wouldn''t blame him if he never came back. But he lives here, clearly loves it from what I''ve seen him say in interviews, and has an affection for the club. This makes him ok in my books.

[quote user="jamesg"]If you cast your mind back, he signed a good contract extension with us, thereby getting one chunk of money, then played with little effort for a few months, had a clause in his contract or insisted on another payout from us on leaving which was pretty large about 250k-300k i believe and then got a signing on fee from W Ham. All in 4 months.

Hence the term Cashton[/quote]

he actually waived all monies to be paid to himself I think you''ll find. The man never asked for a move and to say that he played with little effort for months is ridiculous! Having spoke to him recently, I found him a very pleasant guy to talk to and that he only did what both clubs agreed. Norwich wanted to sell him, West Ham had the money, end of!