Sign in to follow this  
Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?

McNallys coments - invest in players

Which suggests to me it was always Doomcaster etc not Delia that was responsible for ''prudence with/out ambition'' during the last Premier League campaign... The right people left the board, and the right people stayed. Great news on the investment front, though I hope that any new signings have to fight hard to dislodge our current superstars - Each and every one of them deserve their shot, and for the most part I feel will hold their own in the Premier League.

I''m glad we''ve got McNally in charge, he definitely knows what he''s doing.  I expect to see a large amount of the debt cut off and I also expect to see a good investment into the playing squad.

If we can halve our debt and use the rest to invest in players then we''ll be in an unbelievably strong position in my opinion. Stay up for another season and we can wipe out our debt completely and invest again. Potentially exciting times ahead both on and off the pitch.

reduce the debt and invest in new players......

as opposed to our last visit to the Prem where we did neither!

Well played Doomcaster!

[quote user="Alex"]Which suggests to me it was always Doomcaster etc not Delia that was responsible for ''prudence with/out ambition'' during the last Premier League campaign... The right people left the board, and the right people stayed. Great news on the investment front, though I hope that any new signings have to fight hard to dislodge our current superstars - Each and every one of them deserve their shot, and for the most part I feel will hold their own in the Premier League.[/quote]Give me bloody strength......

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Alex"]Which suggests to me it was always Doomcaster etc not Delia that was responsible for ''prudence with/out ambition'' during the last Premier League campaign... The right people left the board, and the right people stayed. Great news on the investment front, though I hope that any new signings have to fight hard to dislodge our current superstars - Each and every one of them deserve their shot, and for the most part I feel will hold their own in the Premier League.[/quote]Give me bloody strength......[/quote]Shut up or sod off.

[quote user="barclaystand"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Alex"]Which suggests to me it was always Doomcaster etc not Delia that was responsible for ''prudence with/out ambition'' during the last Premier League campaign... The right people left the board, and the right people stayed. Great news on the investment front, though I hope that any new signings have to fight hard to dislodge our current superstars - Each and every one of them deserve their shot, and for the most part I feel will hold their own in the Premier League.[/quote]Give me bloody strength......[/quote]Shut up or sod off.[/quote]And you are who exactly?

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Alex"]Which suggests to me it was always Doomcaster etc not Delia that was responsible for ''prudence with/out ambition'' during the last Premier League campaign... The right people left the board, and the right people stayed. Great news on the investment front, though I hope that any new signings have to fight hard to dislodge our current superstars - Each and every one of them deserve their shot, and for the most part I feel will hold their own in the Premier League.[/quote]Give me bloody strength......[/quote][IMG]http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/barclayendchoir/bla-bla-emoticon.gif[/IMG]

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Alex"]Which suggests to me it was always Doomcaster etc not Delia that was responsible for ''prudence with/out ambition'' during the last Premier League campaign... The right people left the board, and the right people stayed. Great news on the investment front, though I hope that any new signings have to fight hard to dislodge our current superstars - Each and every one of them deserve their shot, and for the most part I feel will hold their own in the Premier League.[/quote]Give me bloody strength......[/quote]

I''ll swap you some strength for your WHITE Reebok classics ;)

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Alex"]Which suggests to me it was always Doomcaster etc not Delia that was responsible for ''prudence with/out ambition'' during the last Premier League campaign... The right people left the board, and the right people stayed. Great news on the investment front, though I hope that any new signings have to fight hard to dislodge our current superstars - Each and every one of them deserve their shot, and for the most part I feel will hold their own in the Premier League.[/quote]Give me bloody strength......[/quote]

I''ll swap you some strength for your WHITE Reebok classics ;)[/quote][:)]Navy blue Adidas Samba for me Alex. I''m cool.  [;)]

Use it for signing players first - as that''s the most important thing we need to do to stay up, and staying up should help our finances for the 2012-13 season. Once Lambert''s confident with the squad try and get rid of some of the debt.

i genuinly dont think we will need to spend silly money, with ewan chester and paul lambert picking up fantastic players for a fraction of their true value we stand a real chance of pushing for mid table of course it will be hard. We have the possibility of becoming a solid prem club with the manager and board we have currently. And who knows with clubs like birmingham and fulham do fantasticly in cup comps even win something in a few years!

"I expect to see a large amount of the debt cut off2

errr no most has been rescheduled to 2022 (or thereabouts) so those payments will simply be made as before

I should imagine a fair number of the ''soft loans'' will be repaid. Most of which will no doubt have been conditional on us repaying if we went into the Premier.

As to tyhe investment in players then unfortunately the usual suspects will over excite themselves and we will get thread after thread about ''hambition'' and other related drivel.

McNally and the board will know that it will probably be an easier fight to stay in the Premier league than any fight to get back up again. Of course the club will be spending on players. Which will be in wages. Unfortunately many are still stuck in some transfer fee timewarp and will measure the clubs'' hambition'' against farcical figures quoted in the media.

Good players don''t come cheap, not in fees but wages. The three clubs coming down will have players on Premier wages. It won''t be any transfer fee that moves them out but another club willing to take on their contract (or part of it). However some recent stuff on Radio 5 about Sheff Utd highhlighted the problem with committing yourself multi million pound contracts over three years when you don''t know what league you will be in, three years on. Likewise Hull with £45,000 a week Jimmy Bullard in the Championship. Too many ex Premier clubs have dropped through the championship to League 1 through having crippling player contracts which use up much of their budget.

I don''t see this happening with us. We don''t have some dodgy shyster like Redknapp and even dodgier foreign owners (''hinvestors'' ) using the club as a means to launder money, syphon off money via ludicrous contracts and fees or simply running some questionable tax avoidance scheme. We also have a pretty shrewd cookie in the person of McNally backed by a board who are City supporters, not bean counters on behalf of some slippery owner.

And as far as I am concerned they seem to have the ability to find the right players, keep them motivated and keeping pushing us forward so I have every confidence that I will be sticking ''Champions league place here we come'' at the bottom of my posts by mid autumn next season.

ON THE PITCH SATURDAY

[quote user="City penguin"]i genuinly dont think we will need to spend silly money, with ewan chester and paul lambert picking up fantastic players for a fraction of their true value we stand a real chance of pushing for mid table of course it will be hard. We have the possibility of becoming a solid prem club with the manager and board we have currently. And who knows with clubs like birmingham and fulham do fantasticly in cup comps even win something in a few years![/quote]Maybe hope for a good cup run in a few years time, but I want us out of the cup ASAP next season. This season QPR striker Jamie Mackie got a broken leg in a cup game, we saw how costly Leeds'' cup run proved for them last season and this season it also looks like Birmingham will only just be staying up, despite winning the Carling Cup. All I want for next season is survival, we certainly don''t need a good cup run.

I lke what Mcnally is saying about the need to invest in players to try and make sure we stay up. The debts are no different to us paying a mortgage and aren''t a problem as long as the repayments can be met. The tv money alone is worth a minumum of 42 million but I''m sure I heard on the radio that it could be up to 60 million and that is not including the 4 years parachute payments at 12 million a year if we do go down and all the other additional income that comes from being in the prem.At least it sounds that we are going to give it a go rather than just going to enjoy the ride like in 2004 and I can''t wait, bring it on.

[quote user="Paul Cluckbert "][quote user="Alex"]Which suggests to me it was always Doomcaster etc not Delia that was responsible for ''prudence with/out ambition'' during the last Premier League campaign... The right people left the board, and the right people stayed. Great news on the investment front, though I hope that any new signings have to fight hard to dislodge our current superstars - Each and every one of them deserve their shot, and for the most part I feel will hold their own in the Premier League.[/quote]Give me bloody strength......[/quote]Clucks, do you have the money to become the majority share holder and invest in new players? Thought not........So you''re just a bag of hot air that likes to listen to itself talk.The evidence shows itself to be that in modern football it''s the executive director, not the owner, who moves the club forward in a healthy manner.So until you have the money to buy Delia out, I suggest you just suck it up and accept it for what it is.....A CLUB THAT''S MADE IT INTO THE PREMIER LEAGUE WITH SOUND LEADERSHIP....

[quote user="Alex"]Which suggests to me it was always Doomcaster etc not Delia that was responsible for ''prudence with/out ambition'' during the last Premier League campaign... The right people left the board, and the right people stayed. Great news on the investment front, though I hope that any new signings have to fight hard to dislodge our current superstars - Each and every one of them deserve their shot, and for the most part I feel will hold their own in the Premier League.[/quote]

Totaly agree, just shows how wronge people were.

[quote user="City1st"]"I expect to see a large amount of the debt cut off2 errr no most has been rescheduled to 2022 (or thereabouts) so those payments will simply be made as before I should imagine a fair number of the ''soft loans'' will be repaid. Most of which will no doubt have been conditional on us repaying if we went into the Premier. As to tyhe investment in players then unfortunately the usual suspects will over excite themselves and we will get thread after thread about ''hambition'' and other related drivel. McNally and the board will know that it will probably be an easier fight to stay in the Premier league than any fight to get back up again. Of course the club will be spending on players. Which will be in wages. Unfortunately many are still stuck in some transfer fee timewarp and will measure the clubs'' hambition'' against farcical figures quoted in the media. Good players don''t come cheap, not in fees but wages. The three clubs coming down will have players on Premier wages. It won''t be any transfer fee that moves them out but another club willing to take on their contract (or part of it). However some recent stuff on Radio 5 about Sheff Utd highhlighted the problem with committing yourself multi million pound contracts over three years when you don''t know what league you will be in, three years on. Likewise Hull with £45,000 a week Jimmy Bullard in the Championship. Too many ex Premier clubs have dropped through the championship to League 1 through having crippling player contracts which use up much of their budget. I don''t see this happening with us. We don''t have some dodgy shyster like Redknapp and even dodgier foreign owners (''hinvestors'' ) using the club as a means to launder money, syphon off money via ludicrous contracts and fees or simply running some questionable tax avoidance scheme. We also have a pretty shrewd cookie in the person of McNally backed by a board who are City supporters, not bean counters on behalf of some slippery owner. And as far as I am concerned they seem to have the ability to find the right players, keep them motivated and keeping pushing us forward so I have every confidence that I will be sticking ''Champions league place here we come'' at the bottom of my posts by mid autumn next season. ON THE PITCH SATURDAY[/quote]

---

Yes, it''s the wages that kill you. I''d add that Lambert does not seem the kind of manager to want players who are only in it for the money. The board won''t want (indeed can''t afford) to pay silly wages but Lambert wouldn''t either. He''ll go for the hungry type.

Secondly, this thread has resurrected the myth that we weren''t ambitious enough last time in trying to get to the Premier League and stay there. The truth is that half way through the promotion season, when we were already in the top two, instead of resting on our laurels, we bought McKenzie, Svensson and Huckerby. And in the summer added Helveg, Jonson, Charlton, Doherty, Safri and Bentley, with Ashton later. That is effectively a whole new team.

Spending so much that, even with the massive boost of TV money (which is still much less than nowadays) our cash position only improved by £700,000 that season.

Finally a quote from May 2009, on the eve of relegation to the third tier, when Peter Cullum was asked if he could help out to stave off the apparent threat of administration:

"The economic environment is simply not conducive to investing in an ailing football club.”

I read an interview in 442 in which Worthington said in summer of 2004 he was given 4M to spend which included wages in 1st year of contract!!

I was shocked to the core, by this absurd failure to loosen the purse strings this it was a big part in why we struggled. We refused to bid for Crouch for went for about 2M and spent very little indeed that summer. Jonson at 800K was the biggest signing!

I have faith in the current Chef Exec to get it right, we need to spend at least 12M

I have every faith that Bowkett and McNally will do the right thing.Their track record so far speaks for itself.

I''d rather be in this position having finished 2nd with McNally et al instead of 1st like last time with Doomcaster

Encouraging words indeed. I think we''ll be looking to bring in 5-6 players that will challenge the current squad for a starting place. Again I think Lambert will go for decent, young hungry players from the division below who see Norwich as a set up in their career rather signing some prem journey men looking to maintain their current contract.

I believe some of our loans are now repayable on reaching the prem, Turners? So spme of our debt will certainly be reduced.

Overall I''m quietly confident do avoiding the drop next season providing we keep the core of the team and Lambert remains manager. As others have said, Lambert, McNally and Blowkett now have a proven track record so I''m a lot more optimistic than I was for our last spell in the top flight.

I''m not going to pay too much attention to comments made very breifly after securing promotion and made on the pitch where it has just happened. I''m sure Mr McNally''s heart was still pumping a little too hard to make solid promises.

McNally has experience in the Premier League, with a club of similar stature to ourselves and knows very well how much survival costs - this is the biggest improvement from before when everyone from manager up had no idea what was required to make it in the Prem. Also in the previous promotion we spent all we could afford (and more) securing promotion whereas this year we still have money left over.

I will add though, all this talk of not signing players just in it for the cash or "young and hungry" is exactly what Blackpool tried last summer - they were often turned down by players for clubs in leagues lower than themselves. Yes, we should be careful who we sign, but we will need some of these "mercenaries" if we want survival. It took some of our current players a couple of months to adapt to the Championship (Fox, Holt and Jackson all struggled at first) if we don''t hit the ground running next season then we are in deep trouble,

All this being said, I have total faith in Lambert, McNally, Karsa, Culverhouse and Chester to bring in the right men for the job. Although Lambert may need to change his attitude towards overseas players - they often struggle in the Championship and below but the best players in the Prem are nearly all from other countries.

[quote user="ricardo"]I have every faith that Bowkett and McNally will do the right thing.

Their track record so far speaks for itself.
[/quote]

I entirely concur......Leave it to the professionals....''Bowky and McNallydoyle''...

A lot of the debt has to be paid off apparently, as repayment conditions are triggered by gaining Prem status, and this could include some of that which was rescheduled by a decade, according to a certain Norwich-supporting journalist on Talksport last week. It''s nice to hear that we will invest to stay in the Prem as opposed to the previous debacle where we had Doherty playing centre-forward until Xmas... [:D]

I definitely think we will get Fraser Forster as I''m sure he would want to come here, is class IMO, and won''t be expensive. I''m sure there are many other good players that would love to come to Norwich also. Onwards and Upwards !!

Glad you are not in charge.  Bring in another keeper when Ruddy has done very well and we have a good young reserve in Rudd?  Madness.  What is this obsession with bringing back a young keeper who did well in LEAGUE ONE![quote user="paul moy"]

A lot of the debt has to be paid off apparently, as repayment conditions are triggered by gaining Prem status, and this could include some of that which was rescheduled by a decade, according to a certain Norwich-supporting journalist on Talksport last week. It''s nice to hear that we will invest to stay in the Prem as opposed to the previous debacle where we had Doherty playing centre-forward until Xmas... [:D]

I definitely think we will get Fraser Forster as I''m sure he would want to come here, is class IMO, and won''t be expensive. I''m sure there are many other good players that would love to come to Norwich also. Onwards and Upwards !!

[/quote]

[quote user="kellybrook"]Glad you are not in charge.  Bring in another keeper when Ruddy has done very well and we have a good young reserve in Rudd?  Madness.  What is this obsession with bringing back a young keeper who did well in LEAGUE ONE!

[quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote][/quote]

Ruddy has done a great job, but I think Forster is better, definitely much taller which is a great advantage, and if Lambert thinks the same then he will bring him in. We are now in the Prem and we can''t afford to be sentimental as that could ultimately cost us our place. I don''t write players off just because they did well at a lower level !!  Now, if they were carp at a lower level that would be different.  [:D]