Sign in to follow this  
james norwich

Fraser Forster

[quote user="USA Canary"]Sports Desk Pete, can you please delete this post from our forum before Ruddy sees it, as I cannot believe there are still people out there who just do not know how to enjoy success.[/quote]

I''m surprised that you dont believe in Freedom of Speech.

Just come home from work looking forward to coming on here and seeing the messages extolling our players positives and I see this...really? I mean really? Ruddy started slowly but has become a great keeper, why oh why do we have to rehash this...shall we talk about FF''s complete inability to kick a ball? Each player will have different strengths but we must accept that Ruddy is quality.I hope he keeps the number 1 shirt, he has more than earned it!

Well that''s rattled a few cages.... Keep Ruddy as backup for Forster - Declan can''t be second choice. And by the way - the only time Ruddy came off his line was when he sprinted to the snakepit to celebrate Jackson''s 96th minute winner against Derby!!!!

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Ruddy is by far the better all round keeper. He''s not as good a shot stopper and does struggle to get down to some shots hit low at him, but his organisation, coming for balls, quick distribution and kicking is far superior to big Fraser Forster.

[/quote]

Not really sure how you can say Ruddy is "by far the better all round keeper" and then go to on to say that Forster is a better shot stopper and that Ruddy struggles to get down to shots.

I would also suggest that Forster is better at taking crosses.

But Ruddy''s distribution is generally very good.

"Not really sure how you can say Ruddy is "by far the better all round

keeper" and then go to on to say that Forster is a better shot stopper

and that Ruddy struggles to get down to shots.

But Ruddy''s distribution is generally very good."

Well, we can solve this by simple use of a tag-team system.  Ruddy can hang around behind the goal until there''s a goal kick, Forster can tag his team-mate, Ruddy comes on to kick the ball up the field and Forster can come back on.

No problem.

Its funny you know. But people only question John Ruddy in our first team. I think that fact sums it up really!!

Surely the key factor here is regarding the purpose of signing Forster (or another decent keeper).I certainly don''t see Ruddy as a bad keeper - I don''t think he''ll ever set the world alight like your Cech''s, Reina''s, Van Der Sar''s etc, but he is a more than capable keeper in most situations.The point being is that we need good cover in the event of injuries/suspensions, and putting a relatively untried player like Rudd in, is a horrible gamble at that level, so you need the cover to be of the required standard. Based on the season to date in the prem, only 9 of the 42 keepers who have played have missed 5 games or less, the rest have missed 6+, so that''s 80% of the teams who''ve had their main keeper out for 6 games or more (there are a few exceptions where keepers have been rotated etc like at Arsenal)Just looking at the situation from that perspective, do we want to take the chance of Ruddy being out for 6+ games, with just the young Declan Rudd to step in? Assuming we don''t, then looking at options like Forster to provide that competition/do the job when required is not a bad shout - as long as the price is right.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Ruddy is by far the better all round keeper. He''s not as good a shot stopper and does struggle to get down to some shots hit low at him, but his organisation, coming for balls, quick distribution and kicking is far superior to big Fraser Forster. [/quote]

Not really sure how you can say Ruddy is "by far the better all round keeper" and then go to on to say that Forster is a better shot stopper and that Ruddy struggles to get down to shots.

[/quote]It''s not difficult; I mean as a keeper, Ruddy is the more rounded. He''s not as good a shot stopper as Forster, but is better at other things than him.

[quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Ruddy is by far the better all round keeper. He''s not as good a shot stopper and does struggle to get down to some shots hit low at him, but his organisation, coming for balls, quick distribution and kicking is far superior to big Fraser Forster.

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s not difficult; I mean as a keeper, Ruddy is the more rounded. He''s not as good a shot stopper as Forster, but is better at other things than him.
[/quote]

How is Ruddy the more rounded ''keeper if he''s not as good at stopping shots? That''s the biggest and most important part of a goalkeepers job.

Doesn''t matter if you can kick the ball well if you can''t keep it from going in the net.

My opinion having seen both is that Foster is better than Ruddy, although Ruddy is very good, and so we should go for him. Pressure in the Prem is going to be so much more than the Championship, so we need very strong back-up, which at the moment we do not have.

Much as I liked FF when we were in League One, I would prefer to see a GK experienced in the prem come in on loan to back up/compete with Ruddy - who I think will do well next year. Rudd should go out on loan to gain experience.

If the worst happens and we go down, the loan would finish and Rudd could come back as a more experienced number 2 in another fight for promotion.

Whatever way you cut it, we need another keeper.  Even Worthington said Prem football requires three keepers.  Ok we have three now but two need to have experience and good enough to compete with each other.Anyway I be quite happy to see FF & JR battle it out for the No1 spot

I think we need another keeper, someone who is experienced and can offer stiff competion to Ruddy. I would not say not to FF as I think he is an exceptional keeper, but would be equally happy with someone like Al-Habsi or Sorensen. I get what people are saying about keeping Ruddy because he done well this season, but we can''t be sentimental about it and if PL thinks that another keeper is a priority, then so be it. I think Ruddy has great potential, but sometimes I wonder if he has the mobility to save the long distance swirling shots and there will be plenty of them. He just seems to take an age to get across the goaline.

I would be happy with him though and admire how he got stuck in after an uncomfortable start.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Ruddy is by far the better all round keeper. He''s not as good a shot stopper and does struggle to get down to some shots hit low at him, but his organisation, coming for balls, quick distribution and kicking is far superior to big Fraser Forster. [/quote]

[/quote]It''s not difficult; I mean as a keeper, Ruddy is the more rounded. He''s not as good a shot stopper as Forster, but is better at other things than him. [/quote]

How is Ruddy the more rounded ''keeper if he''s not as good at stopping shots? That''s the biggest and most important part of a goalkeepers job.

Doesn''t matter if you can kick the ball well if you can''t keep it from going in the net.

[/quote]Ok, try and follow me this time. Ruddy is better at commanding his area, kicking, looking for the quick throw and coming for the ball, while his shot stopping is not so inferior to FF as to make it a problem. He is therefore the better all round keeper. See? Not hard.

[quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="TheGoogler"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s not difficult; I mean as a keeper, Ruddy is the more rounded. He''s not as good a shot stopper as Forster, but is better at other things than him.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok, try and follow me this time. Ruddy is better at commanding his area, kicking, looking for the quick throw and coming for the ball, while his shot stopping is not so inferior to FF as to make it a problem. He is therefore the better all round keeper.

See? Not hard.
[/quote]

I don''t think it''s fair to say that Ruddy is better at commanding his area or at coming for the ball, I think there have been numerous times this season he has looked lost when a cross has come in. I thought Forster looked more confident dealing with those situations.

I would just like to say though that I''m not necessarily saying I want rid of John Ruddy or that he''s a poor ''keeper. We wouldn''t have got to where we are if he was a weak link.

But yeah, when you start saying something worth following then maybe I''ll follow.

Any of you think that Fraser Forster may want to stay at Celtic?

Winning team, possibly winning the Scottish cup and playing in Europe next season?

Who knows Newcastle may decide they can move on Krul or Harper and bring Forster back.

So think there are alot of other odds and ends there before we even associate ourselves with the signing of Forster.

I agree that I would rather a seasoned good keeper to put pressure on Ruddy.

The lad from Bolton who has been on loan at Wigan wants First team football next season. Does that mean they could cash in on Jussi? Now I would be happy with him and Ruddy.

But in all seriousness I don''t think we need someone to step into our number 1''s shoes. Yes we would all like a great number 1, but Ruddy is young and did very well last season when we had a defence that was a little more than fragile due to our system.

Lambert has already conceded we may need to change our style a little, and I am sure we would all agree that in the prem. we will need to change it and become more solid as a defensive unit.

Gilks has done very well for Blackpool and was touted earlier this season as one player who would move to a bigger club. There will be some keeper moves, with Friedel likely to move etc.

I agree with the sentiments that Rudd is an exceptional prospect but definately needs some experience, now is the right time to bring someone in and challenge for that number 1. But I do not see it as Fraser Forster. If we are living in this speculative world, then I would test Bolton for Jussi

Even Guzan at Villa, they want to bring someone in. Guzan was at New England Revolution and seen as the next good American keeper. Maybe a sneaky bid in for him or loan him hence challenging for the number 1 spot.

He has been on the bench at Villa for a while and a move may be seen as a chance for him to stake a claim to a number 1 jersey.

As always the summer off season is always the most exciting of the season due to opinion and speculation. The actual season you know who you have and how you are playing.

People are saying that Rudd has no experiance but what experiance did the young arsenal keeper chesney (sp?) or what ever his name was have before being thrust into first team action, if iam correct it was a season in league 1.

Also i would take ruddy over forster