Sign in to follow this  
LinkNR9

What now for Hucks?

Having looked at the posts on this site today, it would seem that a number of people are saying that Huckerby is ineffective at the moment. At left midfield, he is exposing our left back. If he plays as part of a striking duo, he isolates himself from the main striker. Is it time to try a different approch and have, say, a midfield of Jonson/Mulryne or McVeigh/Francis/Brennan, with Deano and Leon up front? Does Hucks need a couple of games to rest? Should he be used as a second half supersub? I''m so downhearted at the moment, I don''t know what to think anymore; all I know is that he''s not doing it for us like he did last season. What do others think?   

I personally dont think he needs a rest. How much problem did he cause Liverpool and Pompy? Loads.

He has good games and bad games as they all do, but you must remember that the standard of defending in the Premiership is a step above the first division, apart from us maybe!

I think we''d have more of a problem if he wasn''t in the squad as 2 of the opposition wouldn''t have to mark him!! Maybe he should play just off of Ashton?

Just my 2p worth!

Chris

Hux is the ONE player this club has who can create havoc with the opposition and chances for his team mates.  The next closest players for chances and assists are Sven and Bentley who are both long term out so Hux HAS to be in the side.  He remains only 1 of 2/3 players who have pem ''quality''.

You all know where I want him to play - A partnership of Leon and Ashton is simply a case of putting a good runner on the pitch and pushing the best striking talent this club has out to the left wing.  Quality players in their best positions only from now on please Worthy - give Deano and Hux some games to gel no matter what it takes (incl talking to McVeigh for the wide left role...)

OTBC   

Hux is the ONE player this club has who can create havoc with the opposition and chances for his team mates.  The next closest players for chances and assists are Sven and Bentley who are both long term out so Hux HAS to be in the side.  He remains only 1 of 2/3 players who have pem ''quality''.

You all know where I want him to play - A partnership of Leon and Ashton is simply a case of putting a good runner on the pitch and pushing the best striking talent this club has out to the left wing.  Quality players in their best positions only from now on please Worthy - give Deano and Hux some games to gel no matter what it takes (incl talking to McVeigh for the wide left role...)

OTBC

i think he should play up front. he showed what havoc he can cause last season and i think if he was in the box a bit more he could do something. im not really sure though

ZLF, would you suggest a three man front formation then? Or perhaps some sort of triangle with Leon and Hucks working off of the front man. Say,

Ashton
Hucks McKenzie

And then perm 7 from the rest to fill in behind.

From what little they deemed to show us on MOTD of the Villa game my first impression is that Ashton is going to score goals for the Canaries, no doubt about that. He''s shown something that only Bentley appears to have shown in previous outings the willingness to have a pop from anywhere. What you tend to get from Leon is bags of effort but he always wants that one touch too many. With Ashton, what you appear to get is a shoot on sight mentality. Only hope the rest of the squad can provide him the service.

leave the man alone!!!

his a great player and no matter how much he exposes drury he can cope anyway

boxing day 2003  remains the best day off my life!!!

I agree with Zipper here. I know many feel that Hux is not a striker, but it is all too easy for a Prem side to marginalise him and that has happened a lot. With Ashton''s ability to hold the ball up we might have more chance if we concentrate our two most dangerous weapons together. If McVeigh does do a Reggie Perrin and return to the fold he would be the obvious choice for left midfield but Brennan could do a job there too and his tackling is better than Paul''s. Also it wouldn''t leave Drury or Charlton quite as exposed when Hux is left upfield after a run and the ball is zipped straight back to our left which would otherwise be a man short.

Yes, Hux has been a great player for City, being without doubt the biggest single factor in our promotion. However, football''s like trying to run up a down escalator - if you stop trying, you go downhill. Hux seems to have a lot of freedom in the side - he can go left or right, midfield or up front, as he chooses. Lately though he''s been staying out wide and too deep, so that there are always 3 or 4 defenders between him and the goal. And there''s no way that even Hux will get past 3 Premiership defenders. He needs to be more imaginative, and get into positions where he has only one defender to beat, or to be prepared to pass the ball. I don''t share the view that he can''t pass because I''ve seen him make great passes - but that was last year, when he set up more goals than he scored. For some reason he isn''t doing that this year. It''s as if he wants to show off his ability to go past defenders, but in the Premiership it''s not so easy and all too often he looks like a baby when the candy''s nicked off him.

It may well be mental fatigue, and I think he should be rested as soon as possible - which won''t be until we get Charlton, Safri and Helveg back.

[quote]Hux is the ONE player this club has who can create havoc with the opposition and chances for his team mates. The next closest players for chances and assists are Sven and Bentley who are both long te...[/quote]

I agree with you Zipper, 99%.

I say 99%, because at this point in time, we have no idea if Worthy will bring in another striker on loan or not.

So I''ll wait till the transfer window is closed, before I make any decision on who I think should play up front with the God Huckerby. 

Most of the team are Championship players , Huckerby is NOT , the difference this season is the opposition is much better class and every team knows you stop Huckerby you stop Norwich . He has been the only attacking threat at this club all season.

"...every team knows you stop Huckerby you stop Norwich . He has been the only attacking threat at this club all season."

Partly true, premier1. Francis has been a threat lately, prior to his injury, and Svensson has looked the part given the service. But it''s largely true that if you stop Huckerby, you stop Norwich. Unfortunately, Hux makes that tactic very easy to accomplish with his style of play. He must adapt and improvise more. No doubt he can, but he ain''t at the moment.

I think Hux would have done a lot better this year if he had a) played up front all the time and b) had a regular partner.

There has been no consistency in the team at all this season.  We have had a lot injuries recently but even before we had players missing Worthy was changing the team around almost every game.  We will suffer for Worthy not knowing who his best 11 are.