Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

That Free Kick

Didn''t notice it at the time, but watching the football league show last night (ya it didn''t take me that long to get home !) That free kick was taken well forward from where the foul took place. It was a top class free kick but could he have done the same from a metre or so back ?

I think that is being a bit pedantic to be honest. I think Swansea could rightly point to the fact that one/both of Ward and Whitbread should have been booked for two poor challenges within about 2 seconds of each other. I said to my mate that its actually an advantage to have the free kick slightly further away from the edge of the area as you can then get the ball up and down over the wall at pace. So it proved on this occasion.

The reason the free kick was that far forward was because the referee had already played the advantage from the first foul because they still had the ball, so when the second foul was committed there was no more advantage, therefore the referee must give the free kick from the place of the second foul. But no matter where the free kick was taken from, that was truely world class from Borini!..... So much so, i have just purchased him on Fifa 11! :)I was extremely disappointed that we lost in that manner, but I cant fault the boys for their attitude or work rate... Bring on Watford and Forest!!COYY

[quote user="Adam Carpenter"]The reason the free kick was that far forward was because the referee had already played the advantage from the first foul because they still had the ball, so when the second foul was committed there was no more advantage, therefore the referee must give the free kick from the place of the second foul.

But no matter where the free kick was taken from, that was truely world class from Borini!..... So much so, i have just purchased him on Fifa 11! :)

I was extremely disappointed that we lost in that manner, but I cant fault the boys for their attitude or work rate... Bring on Watford and Forest!!

COYY
[/quote]

But if Ruddy had been in the right place he would have got to it and not lost the ball from the second shot and missed the Scum reject we would not be having this conversation

Have to say that Ruddy has come on leaps and bounds but he doesn''t seem that mobile when diving for the ball. Infact I''ll go as far as to say he dives like a bag of concrete as their is no spring when he dives. If you look at the Leicester goal and others that he has dived for, he doesn''t seem to stop many.

Having said that the whole defence looked like a tin pot operation on saturday, they were so nervous and Ward/ Whitbread were too slow and made too many errors which they brought alot on themselves. Hopefully they will have a better game together on tuesday.

OTBC

When I played in goal, if  I  got 4 or 5 players in the wall to the left or right of goal  then I would stand it the middle giving half a chance, he stood right behind the wall, at least if he were in the middle he would have had more of a chance of getting to the ball , he never uses his full body behind the ball and very often punches the ball away and not hold onto it.   

[quote user="Adam Carpenter"]The reason the free kick was that far forward was because the referee had already played the advantage from the first foul because they still had the ball, so when the second foul was committed there was no more advantage, therefore the referee must give the free kick from the place of the second foul. But no matter where the free kick was taken from, that was truely world class from Borini!..... So much so, i have just purchased him on Fifa 11! :)I was extremely disappointed that we lost in that manner, but I cant fault the boys for their attitude or work rate... Bring on Watford and Forest!!COYY[/quote]Please take another look at it Adam, the marks from the second tackle/foul are still shown on the ground about a yard behind the ball. Too true it was a magnificent strike for Borini, but I would not be so sure on Fifa11 !

[quote user="pete_norw"]

When I played in goal, if  I  got 4 or 5 players in the wall to the left or right of goal  then I would stand it the middle giving half a chance, he stood right behind the wall, at least if he were in the middle he would have had more of a chance of getting to the ball , he never uses his full body behind the ball and very often punches the ball away and not hold onto it.   

[/quote]

Maybe you should put yourself forward for tonights game and we can all see how good a keeper you are. Perhaps you should write a ''dummy''s giude to goalkeeping'' and hand ot over to Ruddy.

The freekick was a corker, no one would have saved it. He positioned his wall to protect the right side of his goal, and he covered the left, what more could he have done?