Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

What do the bookies think?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]So you ask a question in the thread title and then provide yourself with the answer.No wonder some on here call you an attention seeker.By the way spare me the tiresome old thick plod routine and the inner circle tripe.[/quote]

I''ll be kind.

1. People with a pass in GCSE English (like you) are supposed to be able to recognise that the noun in the subject is plural and that the example given in the text is singular.

2.  I provided an answer to catalyse debate, not the answer.

And I don''t think I ever characterised Plod as thick as Plod is already thick by definition................

But that the inner circle is tripe is something I can agree wholeheartedly with you about.

Now why don''t you enhance the debate on the bookies views instead of carping like an old  Chase Out Remnant?

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]My lord are you two boring.

While we''re doling out lessons in English grammar, even my primary-school daughter knows that the noun ''bookies'' in your sentence should take an apostrophe.

So, bookies'' views, not bookies views, to indicate possession ... just for the less able writer (singular) on here.

Now, how about a proper English test, like spelling ''patronising'' or ''condescending''?

he stole my crayons mummy, well he stole mine first mum.he hit me mummy, he hit me first mum!now now children... now now... life is too short to be bitter..

[quote user="CambsCanary"]While we''re doling out lessons in English grammar, even my primary-school daughter knows that the noun ''bookies'' in your sentence should take an apostrophe. So, bookies'' views, not bookies views, to indicate possession ... just for the less able writer (singular) on here. Now, how about a proper English test, like spelling ''patronising'' or ''condescending''?[/quote]

Mmm........ Cambs Canary, why did you hyphenate primary school ?

[quote user="Al Catraz"]

[quote user="CambsCanary"]While we''re doling out lessons in English grammar, even my primary-school daughter knows that the noun ''bookies'' in your sentence should take an apostrophe. So, bookies'' views, not bookies views, to indicate possession ... just for the less able writer (singular) on here. Now, how about a proper English test, like spelling ''patronising'' or ''condescending''?[/quote]

Mmm........ Cambs Canary, why did you hyphenate primary school ?

[/quote]

He he he he.I enjoyed that. [:)]

I think Bly is right because it is not a possessive noun. eg bookies'' cars indicating the plural of both.

I see, so just because ''primary school'' doesn''t have a hyphen when used alone, it cannot take one in a noun-qualifying phrase (which is the grammatical term for my phrase).

It''s clear that some readers on here think that ''parsing'' is what footballers do! Clue: it''s to do with analysis of grammar.

Question: What is the difference between a ''solid silver fork'' and a ''solid-silver fork''. Plenty.

Or between ''wrought iron railings'' and ''wrought-iron railings''. Ditto.

Oh, and what''s the difference between a ''bright yellow canary'' and a ''bright-yellow canary''. BBB is definitely not the former (based on his answer), but maybe he''s the latter when he''s wearing his replica T-shirt ...

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Here''s the view of one.

http://www.betfairfootball.com/the-championship/norwich-city/norwich-remain-the-most-likely-runners-up-110411.html

OTBC

[/quote]

---

Rather than introducing us to the the questionable views of bookies, the post I''m waiting for from Bly is the one he promised 10 days ago:

"The future is for another post - and would involve as as a minimum base speculation and predictions about the future national (& local) social and economic fabrics."

[quote user="CambsCanary"]I see, so just because ''primary school'' doesn''t have a hyphen when used alone, it cannot take one in a noun-qualifying phrase (which is the grammatical term for my phrase). It''s clear that some readers on here think that ''parsing'' is what footballers do! Clue: it''s to do with analysis of grammar. Question: What is the difference between a ''solid silver fork'' and a ''solid-silver fork''. Plenty. Or between ''wrought iron railings'' and ''wrought-iron railings''. Ditto. Oh, and what''s the difference between a ''bright yellow canary'' and a ''bright-yellow canary''. BBB is definitely not the former (based on his answer), but maybe he''s the latter when he''s wearing his replica T-shirt ...[/quote]

Phew, get-a-life.