Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Jackson HAS to start on Friday!!!

another goal from the bench thank God so he MUST start on Friday!!! He is the form player and if he doesnt what will that do for his confidence?

[quote user="Roranicus"]He definitley deserves to start.[/quote]Well he will certainly start if Holty''s hamstring is as bad as it sounds on the radio...

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="Roranicus"]He definitley deserves to start.[/quote]
Well he will certainly start if Holty''s hamstring is as bad as it sounds on the radio...
[/quote]

this [y]

Despite a disappointing season for the lad he could still write his name in NCFC history.

Someone step up to the plate and get us promoted and go down in history.

[quote user="G"]

Despite a disappointing season for the lad he could still write his name in NCFC history.

[/quote]How is it a disappointing season for him?He always had competition for places with Holty and Chris Martin and had to try and move area and settle in to a new team, playing at a higher level than he had ever done before.  It isn''t easy at the best of times as a striker, let alone when you play just a handful of games here and there before being dropped and then criticised heavily.It was never in doub''t in my mind that he had plenty of goals in him (and it wasn''t in Lambert''s either if his comments on the FLS after the Scunthorpe game were anything to go by).  Unlucky to not get a start at Swansea in my opinion and surely it is about time that those who criticised Simeon so heavily earlier in the season started to eat their words?If he doesn''t score goals for us then he will be scoring lots for somebody else at this level (or even possibly at a higher level one day).  It is up to us as a football club to back what is a very talented young striker, whose goal ratio for number of minutes spent on the pitch this season is actually pretty impressive if you look at it.I am so pleased to see Jackson doing well, as we will be losing a very good young player if we do not get the best out of him ourselves!

Disappointing in that lots on here were slagging off Jackson big time up until a few weeks ago.

I would go with Jackson and Vokes to start on Friday if Holt is unavailable as seems likely.

Simeon looks in the mood at the moment, I think. I''d back him to score.

Jackson and Holt upfront on Friday. Believe.

agree with you smudger i don''t think its been a bad season for him, problem has been he hasn''t had a long run of games in the team. when you compare his return now to our other strikers I think it is quite good isn''t it?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="G"]

[/quote]How is it a disappointing season for him?He always had competition for places with Holty and Chris Martin and had to try and move area and settle in to a new team, playing at a higher level than he had ever done before.  It isn''t easy at the best of times as a striker, let alone when you play just a handful of games here and there before being dropped and then criticised heavily.It was never in doub''t in my mind that he had plenty of goals in him (and it wasn''t in Lambert''s either if his comments on the FLS after the Scunthorpe game were anything to go by).  Unlucky to not get a start at Swansea in my opinion and surely it is about time that those who criticised Simeon so heavily earlier in the season started to eat their words?If he doesn''t score goals for us then he will be scoring lots for somebody else at this level (or even possibly at a higher level one day).  It is up to us as a football club to back what is a very talented young striker, whose goal ratio for number of minutes spent on the pitch this season is actually pretty impressive if you look at it.I am so pleased to see Jackson doing well, as we will be losing a very good young player if we do not get the best out of him ourselves![/quote]

Top post, and couldn''t agree more, Smudger. Those that were mercilessly slagging him off have either gone very quiet or are a tad two-faced at the moment. But anyway, as you say, it''s very pleasing to see a confident Jackson sticking them away now - I really feel he''s going to be quite a key figure for us in the run in.

Jackson makes his impact from the bench so keep him on the bench.If hes sat on the bench chomping at the bit to come on and score then thats perfectly what we want.Still don''t rate Jackson, sorry.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Jackson makes his impact from the bench so keep him on the bench.
If hes sat on the bench chomping at the bit to come on and score then thats perfectly what we want.

Still don''t rate Jackson, sorry.
[/quote]

That only works to a point. Players aren''t happy sitting on the bench and they''re definitely not happy sitting on the bench if they''re doing what''s required of them to earn their place in the team.

He''s playing his way to a starting place, for sure.

Agree totally with Smudger, but Smudger, i seem to remember you were the one slagging off Wilbraham? you could argue some very good points on his behalf as well. He has contributed this season and has done a job when asked upon. But thats for another thread.

My only fear if he does start is, if he doesnt perform (which looks unlikely as he has looked very sharp ever since his hat-trick) (oh what a goal can do to a players performance and confidence! :) ) well if he doesnt perform, im scared people will be all like, ahhh hes rubbish, he did nothing tonight. But he certainly does deserve to start and i am very very happy to see him score and up his performances of late :)

Still dont see what the fuss is about.

He still seems to need an awfull lot of chances to convert one.

Great stuff that he is putting a few away at the moment, but hey ho, i thought that was why he was getting paid ?

I think he has to start... OK so some other posters say he is only useful off of the bench - lets give him a chance to prove himself now he is on good form!

I have not been a Jackson critisiser and I was delighted when he got his 1 goal (let alone the hatrick)! He earnt us what could prove to be a very vital point at the end of the season!

He looks like a player who is desperate to prove himself and I think this is the kind of player that is needed - especially at this stage of the season! PL has always been keen to ensure his players earn their place in the squad... so I think that answers it!

sorry to say this but i for one most proberly the only 1 hope for all hell thats jackson does not start on friday, my main reason for this mad reasoning is that last time he started he was average at best but look what he and his pace can do to the tired defenders in the last 20 or so mins of every game so lambert please leave him on bench for this an then bring him on in 2nd half and let him work his magic

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="G"]

[/quote]

How is it a disappointing season for him?

He always had competition for places with Holty and Chris Martin and had to try and move area and settle in to a new team, playing at a higher level than he had ever done before.  It isn''t easy at the best of times as a striker, let alone when you play just a handful of games here and there before being dropped and then criticised heavily.

It was never in doub''t in my mind that he had plenty of goals in him (and it wasn''t in Lambert''s either if his comments on the FLS after the Scunthorpe game were anything to go by).  Unlucky to not get a start at Swansea in my opinion and surely it is about time that those who criticised Simeon so heavily earlier in the season started to eat their words?

If he doesn''t score goals for us then he will be scoring lots for somebody else at this level (or even possibly at a higher level one day).  It is up to us as a football club to back what is a very talented young striker, whose goal ratio for number of minutes spent on the pitch this season is actually pretty impressive if you look at it.

I am so pleased to see Jackson doing well, as we will be losing a very good young player if we do not get the best out of him ourselves!
[/quote]

Totally agree Smudger.

I have been disappointed with people not giving him a chance. He has made a big step up and I for one have always held the belief that his time will come for us, and I''m delighted to say it''s starting to look like now.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Jackson makes his impact from the bench so keep him on the bench.If hes sat on the bench chomping at the bit to come on and score then thats perfectly what we want.Still don''t rate Jackson, sorry. [/quote]All this IMPACT PLAYER, is only good when coming off the bench stuff is absolute nonsense.  A cliche that has been made up by people over the years, but nothing more than that!Jackson was doing ok whether he started games or came off the bench until October.  What more is he supposed to do in order to get a start than he has done recently?  So what if he starts the next game and doesn''t score for us.  Will that mean that he can only score when coming from off the bench, or that he is a flop?  Holt has missed plenty of chances in the last couple of games.  By your reckoning surely that means that perhaps he can''t perform for 90 mins win week out?Expecting too much from a new signing from the fans, over criticising and Jackson only having a small run of games before being dropped have been his and Chris Martin''s problems in hitting the kind of goalscoring figures some were expecting from them both this season in my opinion.Scoring a hatrick in 15 mins and another goal from the bench, plus looking lively every time he has come on over the last few weeks and still not getting a start.  Dent Jackson and Chris Martin''s confidence by not giving them a run in the team when they are hitting this kind of form and it will only be our loss as a club.  Because two extremely good young strikers will eventually look to move elsewhere unless they are appreciated a bit more.  Both are excellent players with an awful lot to offer ANY TEAM in this division and both have the potential to be a success at a level higher sometime over the next few years if they get the support that they need in my opinion.

[quote user="the1englishman"]Still dont see what the fuss is about.

Great stuff that he is putting a few away at the moment, but hey ho, i thought that was why he was getting paid ?[/quote]...and how many chances has Holty missed in the last couple of matches?About 4 or 5 at Swansea on Saturday wasn''t it?  and shouldn''t we have been at least 2-0 up last night before Watford hit back?It seems to me that the majority of our fans are willing to forgive certain strikers missing chances, but not others?It remains a fact that if you compare the amount of minutes that Jackson has spent on the pitch this season agaisnt his goal ratio and the amount of mins to goals for Holty then Jacko isn''t lagging too far behind him.  Yet certain sections of our support still see the need to find fault in Jackson and over criticise him.After the Scunthorpe game it was "he can only score against the rubbish sides from many posters."  It seems that the need for many to not be proven wrong outweighs their support of the team for me I''m afraid.

[quote user="youngcanary"]Agree totally with Smudger, but Smudger, i seem to remember you were the one slagging off Wilbraham? you could argue some very good points on his behalf as well. He has contributed this season and has done a job when asked upon. But thats for another thread.

My only fear if he does start is, if he doesnt perform (which looks unlikely as he has looked very sharp ever since his hat-trick) (oh what a goal can do to a players performance and confidence! :) ) well if he doesnt perform, im scared people will be all like, ahhh hes rubbish, he did nothing tonight. But he certainly does deserve to start and i am very very happy to see him score and up his performances of late :)[/quote]I still don''t rate Wilbraham I''m afraid and bringing in Vokes on loan means that if we are promoted that Wilbraham will probably never play for us again (and possibly unlikely too even if we don''t go on to clinch promotion).I think that you are spot on with what you have to say about how the majority of the fans will react if Jackson starts on Friday and doesn''t score fr us though.  This will be despite him converting more goals to to the number of chances that have fallen to him recently than any other player in our squad!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="the1englishman"]Still dont see what the fuss is about.

Great stuff that he is putting a few away at the moment, but hey ho, i thought that was why he was getting paid ?[/quote]...and how many chances has Holty missed in the last couple of matches?About 4 or 5 at Swansea on Saturday wasn''t it?  and shouldn''t we have been at least 2-0 up last night before Watford hit back?It seems to me that the majority of our fans are willing to forgive certain strikers missing chances, but not others?It remains a fact that if you compare the amount of minutes that Jackson has spent on the pitch this season agaisnt his goal ratio and the amount of mins to goals for Holty then Jacko isn''t lagging too far behind him.  Yet certain sections of our support still see the need to find fault in Jackson and over criticise him.After the Scunthorpe game it was "he can only score against the rubbish sides from many posters."  It seems that the need for many to not be proven wrong outweighs their support of the team for me I''m afraid.[/quote]All about the bigger picture, of course we''re going to forgive Holt missing a few, because over the course of the last few seasons he has more than proved his worth. Comparing Holt to Jackson is like comparing apples to oranges, totally different type of player.Can you provide evidence of these stats though? Because its pretty easy to manipulate stats to suit any argument.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="the1englishman"]Still dont see what the fuss is about.

Great stuff that he is putting a few away at the moment, but hey ho, i thought that was why he was getting paid ?[/quote]...and how many chances has Holty missed in the last couple of matches?About 4 or 5 at Swansea on Saturday wasn''t it?  and shouldn''t we have been at least 2-0 up last night before Watford hit back?It seems to me that the majority of our fans are willing to forgive certain strikers missing chances, but not others?It remains a fact that if you compare the amount of minutes that Jackson has spent on the pitch this season agaisnt his goal ratio and the amount of mins to goals for Holty then Jacko isn''t lagging too far behind him.  Yet certain sections of our support still see the need to find fault in Jackson and over criticise him.After the Scunthorpe game it was "he can only score against the rubbish sides from many posters."  It seems that the need for many to not be proven wrong outweighs their support of the team for me I''m afraid.[/quote]All about the bigger picture, of course we''re going to forgive Holt missing a few, because over the course of the last few seasons he has more than proved his worth. Comparing Holt to Jackson is like comparing apples to oranges, totally different type of player.Can you provide evidence of these stats though? Because its pretty easy to manipulate stats to suit any argument.[/quote]I have posted the number of appearance and appearances as sub stats earlier in the season, when Jackson was 4 goals shy of what he has now Morty.  Holt has played 90 mins week in week out for all but the first game of the season and scored 21 goals (19 in the League).  It doesn''t take a mathematician to work out that Jackson has spent significantly less than half the time Holty has spent on the pitch this season and has been heavily criticised by the majority of fans throughout, yet still has 8 League goals.  Jackson has currently had 15 starts for us.  To those who still feel the need to be critical of Jackson - find me another player in the whole of the Championship who has as many goals as him from a similar number of starts (or minutes on the pitch).Jackson has had 19 appearances from the bench, but the majority of those have been for no longer than 5 or 10 mins from what I can remember.I am not trying to compare Jackson to Holt, but just trying to make some people realise that their criticism of Jackson has been way over the top.  I think that Jackson has had a very challenging but good season for us and you will not find many strikers (if any) who have spent the majority of the season on the bench and have scored more goals than Jackson this season.If you work out the goals ratio to number of minutes spent on the pitch for Holt and Jackson then neither of them would be far short of a goal every 180 mins of football this season).

Thats all very well, but theres good reason that he hasn''t had more minutes on the pitch, isn''t there? If Lambert thought he was good enough to start games week in, week out, then he''d start, wouldn''t he?So, unless there is some secret underlying reason, its purely down to the fact that Lambert doesn''t feel Jackson is good enough to start week in, week out.And he knows more about this than you or I do. See where I''m going with this?

I am still not entirely convinced by Jackson. I admire his pace, largely lacking in the side, and his enthusiasm in chasing down balls. (This is why he makes a good impact sub, coming on when defenders are becoming tired.)

I have, however, a few concerns:

1) His conversion rate of chances to goals is no better than the rest of the team. Whenever he tries to hit a shot hard he tends to hit it high over the bar. He is quick and good close in (Scunthorpe, and again at Watford), and good strikers need this, but does he lack strength of shot from further out.

2) His build is slight, which may explain why he does not score with this head. Again there have been some good strikers who were not the best at heading ( e.g.Kegan), but it does mean that the rest of the team will have to play to his needs, i.e.crosses along the ground, knock-downs, etc.

He is certainly worth his place in the squad, probably ahead of Chris Martin, but I would use him as an impact sub. When he has started he has often been disappointing.

Nobody ''HAS'' to start in my book anymore.

We finally have a manager in whom we can trust 100%, and far as I am concerned, whatever team PL decides to put out is the best team, in his opinion, to win three points in that particular game.

Why can''t all the fans leave it that way?

Holt will always start and Vokes scored last night as well.

Jackson will only start if Holt hasn''t recovered

BUT

Jackson''s all-round play seems to have improved a lot and plays much more to our style of football than sticking Vokes and Holty up front; only really worked last night due to Watford''s shoddy pitch. We can outplay Forest but need someone who can play with ball to feet. I didn''t watch last night''s game but have not exactly been blown away by Vokes since he joined