Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

Never write off Adam Drury....

I thought that this was pretty obvious by now. He had a great season last year, after two years of looking like the injuries had began to get to him.He started off this year strong, got injured, came back and looked a bit rusty. Tierney didn''t though, and he lost his place in the team. Drury isn''t the team because for a couple of games he gave a reason for Lambert to drop him.That isn''t the end of Drury, he has a year left on his deal. All it will take is for Tierney to have a couple of bad games for Drury to get another chance, and history has shown that he is more than capable of taking those.I can remember people saying that he had "had it" in 2006, and 2007, 2008 and 2009. Each time he has proven people wrong. The bloke has always had injuries, but he has bounced back from far more serious ones than the one he got this year. I am pretty certain that if we didn''t have a good left back to come into the team he would have found his game again pretty sharpish. Tierney is in the team by right, he has earnt that right with his performances (what a great signing, and I advocated signing him in the summer, to the dismay of some of my mates).I reckon Adam Drury still has plenty in the tank at this level, he started this season pretty well. He won''t cut it as a regular in the premiership now, he had his decent year there, although Tierney may not either. That said, Tierney actually reminds me a little of Paul Konchesky and he has mixed it in that league. Drury has a year on his deal, will be here for that year, and at the end of that year will be nearly 34. Where to after that? I reckon the bloke will go and have a year or two at Peterborough or Cambridge. Would be nice to see him have a year at Peterborough. He probably isn''t at his best any more, but what a stalwart, he deserves his testimonial and hopefully we will see a little more of him. But to play almost 600 league games by the age of 32 with the injuries that he has had over the last few years is astonishing.... what a legend.For years it has been said that Adam Drury is the best left back outside of the Premiership. All that has changed is that Tierney is now the best left back outside of the Premiership, that pushes Drury into second. The best two left backs in the league, happy days. Bias? Good luck finding a better left back, I can''t think of one.

the sad thing is that Drury looked well out of his depth last time out in the Premiership, now...7 years older and with injury problems will he feature?I still have a feeling he wont get that testimonial game, as he wont be here beyond the end of May/June.And Drury was never the best left back outside the premiership.... Barry Fry said he was..and barry fry would tell you Fat Dave at the Local Pub FC was Ronaldo if he was going to make a few quid out of him.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]the sad thing is that Drury looked well out of his depth last time out in the Premiership, now...7 years older and with injury problems will he feature?I still have a feeling he wont get that testimonial game, as he wont be here beyond the end of May/June.And Drury was never the best left back outside the premiership.... Barry Fry said he was..and barry fry would tell you Fat Dave at the Local Pub FC was Ronaldo if he was going to make a few quid out of him.[/quote]Why would the club go back on this?http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/drury_set_to_get_his_testimonial_1_762008

because its football and its business.If Paul Lambert feels Drury has no future at the club then we wont be sympathetic and keep him for one final "benefit" game.Also, nearly 4 months since that article there is no further update. no details of the date of the game, of the opposition, ticket prices, guest players etc.... As we know from previous testimonials they are usually advertised a few months in advance.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]because its football and its business.

If Paul Lambert feels Drury has no future at the club then we wont be sympathetic and keep him for one final "benefit" game.

Also, nearly 4 months since that article there is no further update. no details of the date of the game, of the opposition, ticket prices, guest players etc.... As we know from previous testimonials they are usually advertised a few months in advance.

[/quote]

Harsh on Lambert there. Drury has been a key figure for him on and off the pitch and will get what he deserves, which is a testimonial.

The club won''t organise any pre season fixtures until this one is over and we know which league we''re in next year. Promotion would see us as a much bigger draw for a european side maybe, or a top premier side, so the club will be keeping its options open on a testimonial for Ads.

Just because he can''t get in the team now doesn''t mean he''s got any less respect from City

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]the sad thing is that Drury looked well out of his depth last time out in the Premiership, now...7 years older and with injury problems will he feature?I still have a feeling he wont get that testimonial game, as he wont be here beyond the end of May/June.And Drury was never the best left back outside the premiership.... Barry Fry said he was..and barry fry would tell you Fat Dave at the Local Pub FC was Ronaldo if he was going to make a few quid out of him.[/quote]Like I said, Drury wouldn''t cut it in the Premier League now. But I do disagree with the looking well out of his depth in the Premiership comment. From what I remember he was poor for the first few months, as were a few others, but for the second half of the season he was fantastic and played a key role in the team from the point that Ashton arrived.As a whole unit we seemed to take a while to gel that season, probably because Worthington took Malky and Iwan out (two big big personalities) and replaced them with a couple of foreign journeymen looking for a quick buck in the Prem. He had to play alongside a very inexperienced Jason Shackell, a declining Craig Fleming, and Gary Doherty (nothing against him, but he has returned to his level). Then we had Jurgen Colin or Thomas Helveg on the right.What an uninspiring group of defenders, Drury for me was the second best defender in our team that season, he ended up pushing Simon Charlton into the middle of the park when he found his feet. Barry Fry is an idiot, but personally I think that he was right with that statement. If you are going to make a statement yourself then you really do need to back up with a player or two. What left back in the Championship was better than Drury between 2001-2004? And what do you know about the left backs playing in the Championship now? Cardiff tend to play Kevin McNaughton at left back, but he is primarily right footed. Swansea tend to play Clint Hill at left back, a 6 ft central defender who happens to have a left foot. QPR have to play Matt Connolly at left back, he is bleedin 6ft 2 or 6ft 3 and is a natural centre back.Maybe I would take George McCartney ahead of Drury, but he is not actually owned by Leeds... he is owned by Sunderland. And, frankly, with his injury problems he makes Drury look indestructible. And then Reading have Ian Harte, a player who frankly didn''t look that good in League One, asides from being able to whack in every free kick that he takes.Forest have Paul Konchesky, but he is still signed to a Premiership club. Before him they had Ryan Bertrand who is also signed to a Premiership club and who is frankly over rated and who himself has told the world how much of a great player Adam Drury is.So, the ball is back in your court. I said "Good luck finding a better one" and stick by that. I can''t think of one, probably haven''t been able between 2001 - 2010 until the arrival of Tierney.

So I haven''t been able to find a single natural left back in the top 7 clubs, we have two, we should be delighted with that. I can also understand why Steven Smith wanted to bail, he came to one of the few clubs in the league who actually had another left back to pick.QPR have Gary Borrowdale, he is a natural left back, but he has been out on loan to League One for most of the last two seasons. Left back is and always has been a position short on quality, that hasn''t changed just because City fans have got used to the luxury of actually owning two.