Sign in to follow this  
grinner

thay think its all over, it is now.

1 point out of a poss 21.we are down,we have no chance, playing 4-5-1 for the first half at villa is a joke. why wait untill second half to change the team around.ashton was winning alot of the balls but no one supporting him.i am fed up of waiting for the team to perform tomorrow never comes. its a joke.

Yep, agree with you. The only saving grace is that Souton and Palace lost again, but how much longer can we rely on the ineptitude of others?

i agree...i am 110% behind the team and always will be and every match i am right behind the team but am started to get very worried and extremely frustrated.

We have to pull our fingers out now. Worthy sort your tactics out. You did well in getting Ashton but jeez, playing him up front alone is a bloody joke. Hes always had a strike partner playing along side him and then we go and throw him in at the deepend with bugger all support. I am positive he will score us many goals but I feel now that it is too late. People on here all have a go at people like Mark Lawrenson and the like but to be fair they are correct. Where is our next win coming from? I hate to say this, but realistically we do not possess the quality to survive both in terms of playing personnel and management. Probably get a slating for this but who cares...people who see without y&g glasses will probably agree at least.

I really hope, grinner, that the players and the staff at the club don''t think like you seem to do at the moment.  Sure, the formation baffled me, especially when Ashton has been used to playing with a strike partner most of his career, but, that apart, we''re still only three points from being out of the drop zone and we''re still in with a chance of being the one from four that survives.  We''re certainly in a very bad run of form and results -(are the other three doing that much better?)-, and confidence must be pretty low, but the injury situation is having a serious impact right now and we aren''t able to field a settled line-up from one match to the next.  That''s another drain on all the players as well as Worthy.  I think you''re being very harsh saying that you keep waiting for the team to perform but tomorrow never comes.  It''s the long haul that counts...that''s until May.  One good result/performance with one or three points against Boro and it''s strange how most people will feel so much better.  If it doesn''t happen, then it''s on to the next game, and so on until we reach the end.  Yes, this season is being hard on everyone...bloody hard...but there''s still time to see some light at the end of the tunnel once players start to come back, and there''s still some hope until the numbers say there isn''t.  Give up if you want, but I won''t until then...and even then I shall start to look to the positives ahead for next season.  (I would imagine, grinner, that you won''t give up either but that it''s just you''re feeling the frustration and despair even more than we all are right now.  Hang on in there.  It might just still be alright - you never know!) 

Why on earth was Ashton put up front on his own?  His first game in the Premiership

Worthington is on Radio Norfolk now making his excuses...

I fel I have to agree with all the above posts.  I now think it is any three from the bottom four to go down giving us a 25% chance of survival.  Not very good odds and certainly not the sort of odds to slap a tenner on.

Now is the time to get behind the team and the manager.

We have had an injury crisis which would have been tough for Man U or Arsenal.

As the squad returns to full strength, looking at the fixture run-in I see no reason why we can''t dig ourselves out of the hole.

I just hope the players haven''t got the same defeatist mentality of some of the posters on here, ie: "We''re already down"

Well if you think that, I urge you to give your season ticket to someone who still thinks we have some fight in us yet.

Its not that I haven''t got any fight left in me, Herb, but you have to admit things are not looking great now as there are really only 4 facing relegation.  I am certainly not going to give up on them

No-ones giving up , but boy after all the years of waiting is isn''t half tough.

Wish the scum would lose a few as well - might help morale!

A win at Selhurst Park and matching results with Palace/Soton and The Baggies for the rest of the season and it''s job done I know, but will our nerves (and sanity) survive that long?

Well Herb - Have to disagree with some of your points. Our injury crisis would not have been a problem to Manure or Ars because they have the equivalent of two Premiership teams within their clubs and can afford to miss key players. As for getting behind the Manager and the team, I have been doing so for over 60 years but at this moment in time, reluctant to do so all the way down to the Championship!

I too heard Worthy''s after match excuses and I seem to have heard them all before. He may just as well made a recording of his comments after the earlier matches we had in the Prem. and merely play them each week!

No, seriously, of course we still support our Club but to even the most diehard supporter of which I am one, things are getting a bit frustrating to say the least. We have a good Manager who repeatedly says we are still learning from the experience of being in the Premiership but I only wish he would convey that to his coaching staff for time and time again we are caught very short on basic tactical play. Whatever happended to man marking. Today all we heard on the commentary was how dominant Lee Hendrie was for Villa. Once this was becoming apparant, he should have had a man on his back with his hand down his shorts if necessary to combat his threat. The opposition usually do it with Hucks so why don''t we?? Most of our goals conceded this season have been through poor to non exixtent marking and its about time we did something about it

Our only hope is that we can win more matches at FCR and get the odd result away in order to survive. We cannot rely on other results going our way all the time.

I am sure Dean Ashton will prove another excellent signing but he does need time and help to adjust to the speed of the Prem. and to play him up front on his own is nothing short of lunacy. We do obviously need to shore up the defense as well and get a ball playing midfielder SAP.

Rant over

OTBC

It''s certainly hard to think of any positives to take out of the game. I really think that serious questions need to be asked of our defence. They never seem comfortable against anybody.
Let''s just hope Worthy can brighten up a very dim time by getting some decent loans in for THE RIGHT positions.

[quote]Aston Villa ONE win in NINE , FOUR goals scored in NINE, beaten 3-1 at Sheffield Utd last week , brushed us aside as if we were not on the pitch . We are fast running out of chances.[/quote]

Yep, I thought today was a great chance for the first away win.

For the first time inliving memory, after the second goal went in, i switched the radio off, turned the tv over to itv and completely removed football in general and Norwich city in particular from my mind. For the second week running we have put in a completely disgusting inept performance, losing without a fight to poor opposition. Shant even bother to watch motd, clint eastwood instead for me! This season cant end quickly enough. the players are already on the beach.

I listened to the commentary and was obviously disappointed. Having watched it on sky and heard some, at least, favourable comments as well, we have to take stock of our position - sooo many injuries, but only 3 points off in the red, I know it we should have done much better but we must pick ourselves up, get behind the team, and push forward.

After all, they never said it would be easy..

Will you please get a sense of reality and look at our injuries? If we were where we are with a full squad then yes I would be very worried. Most of the players yesterday should be no where near the first team.

Sorry Jim and Phil you just can''t cut it at this level, though I dont doubt your effort.

Despite some posters comments the loss of Helveg and Bentley (both heavily baited on these boards) was too much to miss out on. Losing Charlton too was a terrible blow as poor Adams confidence at the moment is clearly shot at the moment.

Given some luck on the injury front ( and remember we have a 2 week break after the Boro game) we have three winnable games in February. (W Brom, Man City, Blackburn).

If we don''t take at least 5 points from these then I may join the moaners brigade but until then its full support for City.

Hi Susie,

Well you know me Mrs Positive Mrs Optimistic so of course I agree with your post and your sentiments that we mustn''t give up until its mathamatically impossible for us to stay up.

Think you''ll all agree that it is turning out to be a dog fight between just 4 clubs  so it is absolutely vital for us to beat WBA, Southampton and Palace because 9 points from those 3 games might make the difference.

Likewise I see that WBA are playing all of those three clubs  in February so we must pray that those games all end in draws.

As Susie said it is hard and it is depressing but we have got keep to keep our heads up and hope the team do the same.

[quote]1 point out of a poss 21.we are down,we have no chance, playing 4-5-1 for the first half at villa is a joke. why wait untill second half to change the team around.ashton was winning alot of the balls ...[/quote]

Possibly not all that dire... it''s the much better run of 1 point out of 18 rather than 21 as the seventh-last league game was our win against Bolton.

I''ll be honest, I''ve been worried all season but we don''t need to chase mid-table, 17th is good enough and we''re just two points behind that: all we need to do is get 3 points more than Palace do between now and the season''s end - keep the faith!

Villa were in a bad patch - we need to be beating teams when they''re like that - or at elast getting a draw.

herb did you go to aston villa? well im sorry the performance was a disgrace ,forget the injures, The players on that pitch did not have the heart or passion to play.i feel that a number of players, need to look at themselves and say am i worth playing in this team, ie=

huckerby = runs forward falls over doesn''t defender,,how many crosses did he get over to ashton?

mullers= gives ball away,loses his man, always tackels laying on the floor.i feel even mcveigh should be in the team instead of mullers.

drury=has lost it completely,thank god we have charlton.

im sorry but worthy keep saying ,we work hard and dont give up will not win games ,i felt worthy should of apologise to all the city fans who travelled to villa park.

Re the complaints about Worthy and coaching. If memory serves was he not one of the coaches during the Rioch/Hamilton era? He does not seem to have learnt much does he? As for blaming our injury list don''t forget that we have one of the smallest squad''s in the prem so who''s fault is that. I know. I know.some of you will quote financial probity but we were hardly prepared for the prem in the first place were we.

Hey it was''nt as if we were setting the world alight before we had all these injuries so why suddenly when they come back will we suddenly be a force to be reckoned with.

"Hey it was''nt as if we were setting the world alight before we had all these injuries so why suddenly when they come back will we suddenly be a force to be reckoned with.

We dont need to set the world alight we need to finish 17th. Simple as.

Yup, it''s all over. Well, if they play like that it is. But it''s not the formation that was wrong - 4-5-1 can work well - but the lack of support for Ashton from either of the wide men, Jonson and Huckerby, when the ball was coming in from the opposite side. Neil Adams highlighted this and, with due respect to Neil, if he could see that, the players involved should be able to. The second idiotic thing was hoofing the long balls up to Ashton, giving him no option but to head them on, when there was no one within 25 yards to recieve the flick-ons. What were they trying to do, these guys, did they actually want to make Ashton look ineffective; because that''s what it seems like to me. The fact that Brennan was playing was an indication to me that the plan was to allow Huckerby to get forward: why didn''t he?

I have no doubt now that Huckerby should be rested, when we get our key midfielders - Safri, Helveg and Holt - back. Hux hasn''t contributed much at all this season, bearing in mind his status within the club. He seems to have just lapsed into a rut, where he hangs around just inside the opposition''s half and right out on the touchline, waiting to receive the ball so he can run straight at 3 markers, lose the ball, stand there for a while with his arms spread, and then amble back to do it again.

It''s not fair to blame Hux for this defeat, and I''m not, because Villa''s goals were down to defensive cock-ups, and that''s an area that needs addressing urgently. However, as one of the biggest footballing talents at the club, and one of the biggest earners, he needs to contribute more.

I just hope Ashton can forget this one - it was none of his doing, this humiliation.

To be fair several reports have Jonson as the best player in a yellow shirt however the scenario of a hoofed ball to a striker with no one to flikc the ball onto is all to familiar and was the VERY scenario that I was dreading by signing a big striker - it is all too easy to simply hoof the ball.

4-5-1 does and can work well as you point out old boy as long as the lone striker gets support from the midfield but also if the ball is passed so that he can hold it up - that means chest high or lower, not more than 6 foot 6 in the air leading to a header for Ashton with no one to knock it down to.

The same has always applied to Sven - his touch is superb and he looks an entirely different player when the ball is coaxed into his body or feet rather than hoicked forward anywhere - the same prinicpals must apply to Ashton - pass the ball to him so he can hold the ball up and bring the midfield crew into the game - this applied whether we are 4-5-1 or 4-4-2.

OTBC

in todays edp worthy said we are looking for younger players to come here on loan.make up your mind old boy,you wont play our young lads.is anybody steering this ship away from the bottom.get the life jackets out,we will need them.