Sign in to follow this  

Re: Holt as centre back - thoughts

i aint really sure. personally i would prefere to give shackell a run in the team instead of moving holt back. i feel that our midfield is solid now and there isnt really much need to change it.

The problem is that neither Francis or Mulryne can win the ball. Plus the fact that Holt''s energy on the pitch is best utilised in midfield, as supposed to the discliplined positioning required at centre back. Also, if Mulryne and Francis aren''t up to ball winning duties, we''d have to look at someone like Dean Sinclair - another academy player and one who doesn''t seem as ready as Shackell for first team duties!

Hmmm, not a bad idea, anyone who helps us pass out of defence (via the midfield!) would be handy. I thought Burnley did that very well - always giving the defender under pressure a passing option in midfield. Our preferred approach seems to be the donkey hoof! Holt may be a little short to go in the centre though? And Francis may have his work cut out without Holt alongside him. Certainly worth a try though.
p.s. impressed with Edworthy. No-one mentions him but that''s ''cos he is consistent and has slipped into the right back slot really nicely.

Drury has not been overly impressive in the last couple of games. Not sure if making him captain was a good move.

Captain should be someone who:

- a) is vocal with a good tactical brain who can dictate the game,
-b) Leads by example (Beckham esq)

Not sure either can be done effectivley from Left back.

My preference would be a centre back/midfield, or anyone who can tell the midfield to move out. Its difficult to catch players offside when you have 7 players in your backline. Even Mcveigh was playing in the backline for periods aggainst burnley.

i was suprised to see Drury appointed captain. I think someone like Holt would be better suited to be captain.