Sign in to follow this  
Weve (no longer) Got Angus

Anthony McNamee

I think in the past he has got a lot of stick, some of which possibly deserved after very poor showings. But last night he was like a new player, as soon as he was brought on he just seemed to lift the team with a different option! I think he was Fantastic last night and deserves plaudits after that performance. Lets hope he continues..OTBC

i agree he made an impact last night, and if he can repeat that again it will come in handy.  Surman had a poor game.

either way, i don''t think McNamee will be at Carrow Road next year so i hope he ends with a bang, as it were...

I am one of his biggest critics. However, I was impressed with him last night. I think it''s because he didn''t cross that much as that''s what lets him down. The first cross he played was overhit by about 15 yards. He changed the game though which was good to see.

[quote user="El Asesino"]I think in the past he has got a lot of stick, some of which possibly deserved after very poor showings. But last night he was like a new player, as soon as he was brought on he just seemed to lift the team with a different option! I think he was Fantastic last night and deserves plaudits after that performance. Lets hope he continues..OTBC[/quote]But isn''t this the Anthony McNamee we know and love? When we bring him on for 20-30 minutes against tiring opponents to give us a different option, he wreaks havoc, and looks like one of the best players in the league.Start him, and we might as well play with ten men.Surely a good performance last night from the bench hasn''t taught us anything new?

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="El Asesino"]I think in the past he has got a lot of stick, some of which possibly deserved after very poor showings. But last night he was like a new player, as soon as he was brought on he just seemed to lift the team with a different option! I think he was Fantastic last night and deserves plaudits after that performance. Lets hope he continues..OTBC[/quote]But isn''t this the Anthony McNamee we know and love? When we bring him on for 20-30 minutes against tiring opponents to give us a different option, he wreaks havoc, and looks like one of the best players in the league.Start him, and we might as well play with ten men.Surely a good performance last night from the bench hasn''t taught us anything new?[/quote]Did you not read what i actually posted?! I am saying how much better he was than has been in prvious appearances, where he has received huge amounts of grief!!

"I am one of his biggest critics. However, I was impressed with him last night. I think it''s because he didn''t cross that much as that''s what lets him down. The first cross he played was overhit by about 15 yards. He changed the game though which was good to see."

A winger that can''t cross. I think thats his problem. And as someone else said he''s come off the bench a few times and has been lethal but when rewarded with a start he has been piss poor we know this its nothing new that he''s come on and done well.

He scared the life out of the Watford defence and what I noticed about him last night was that he was beating players instead of turning back looking for the pass. Hopefully has found form in this crucial part of the season.

[quote user="El Asesino"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="El Asesino"]I think in the past he has got a lot of stick, some of which possibly deserved after very poor showings. But last night he was like a new player, as soon as he was brought on he just seemed to lift the team with a different option! I think he was Fantastic last night and deserves plaudits after that performance. Lets hope he continues..OTBC[/quote]But isn''t this the Anthony McNamee we know and love? When we bring him on for 20-30 minutes against tiring opponents to give us a different option, he wreaks havoc, and looks like one of the best players in the league.Start him, and we might as well play with ten men.Surely a good performance last night from the bench hasn''t taught us anything new?[/quote]Did you not read what i actually posted?! I am saying how much better he was than has been in prvious appearances, where he has received huge amounts of grief!![/quote]I wasn''t attempting to disagree with you- in fact, I was doing the opposite. I didn''t see the game last night, so I can''t comment on how he played against Watford, but I was just saying that whenever he comes off the bench he always seems to ''lift the team with a different option'', and that he also he gets ''a lot of stick, some of which possibly deserved after very poor showings''. Which normally come when he starts.

Something I''ve always maintained is that he is all left-footed and is a left winger but is more often than not played on the right where naturally he''s not going to do as well. How good would Russell Martin be bombing forward if he were played as a left-back? Or Tierney on the right?

McNamee won us many points last season coming off the bench and did his part again last night.

I dont think Surman has been fantastic, he''s been neat and tidy and provided some decent forward balls but ive yet to see him stand out in any game and he''s played the last 10 plus.

Not one game has he been anywhere near a contender for man of the match, and that says something for the type of player he is supposed to be.

Its time for Macca to stake a claim for Surmans spot.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Something I''ve always maintained is that he is all left-footed and is a left winger but is more often than not played on the right where naturally he''s not going to do as well. How good would Russell Martin be bombing forward if he were played as a left-back? Or Tierney on the right? McNamee won us many points last season coming off the bench and did his part again last night.[/quote]

Exactly what Chunky said. When you are playing on the wrong wing. You effectively have to beat a man once to get the ball onto your left foot and then beat him again to put the cross in. He also showed some fantastic technical ability last night when he brought down a horrible clearance from Ward on his knee with a defender marking him tight. However I still think he is best utilised as an impact sub.

Thing with Macca is he''ll unbalance the side. Handy option to have from the bench but I wouldn''t start him over Surman who''s a more natural fit into the side.

As bad as he has been at times this season, I''m surprised that he hasn''t even been a sub for a lot of games as he does give us a very good option from the bench.

He has pace, which is something we distinctly lack in our first 11.

He''s always had the pace and tricks but there were about about Macca physically but did play well last night (maybe had a point to prove against us?)

[quote user="G"]

"I am one of his biggest critics. However, I was impressed with him last night. I think it''s because he didn''t cross that much as that''s what lets him down. The first cross he played was overhit by about 15 yards. He changed the game though which was good to see."

A winger that can''t cross. I think thats his problem. And as someone else said he''s come off the bench a few times and has been lethal but when rewarded with a start he has been piss poor we know this its nothing new that he''s come on and done well.

[/quote]

From what I''ve seen Surman cant (or wont) cross either so that''s not a problem that we obviously take seriously. At least MacNamee takes people on.

People say Macca''s lightweight as well but then again how is this different to Surman.

I think we should give him a chance because I don''t think we will lose anything to what we have currently.

Think he will always be an off the bench player at this level. Great impact sub to have for the last 20 min of the game when full backs are tiring.