Sign in to follow this  
ncfc fan

Minutes silence this Friday?

[quote user="youngcanary"]personally would rather minutes silence for Jim Blair

[/quote]We had that when he was picked for that Wembley team........

Just a question for you Paul.You started the thread with very few words and earlier this morning "bumped" it and i was just interested in your take on this matter so can you enlighten me and i am sure a few others?

If we have a minutes silence for the passing of Jim Blair all well and good, don''t think we should have one for Hillsborough, if we do I will go to the bar until it''s over, I''m sick and tired of hearing about it, there have been many more unfortunate disasters that have involved British teams but the Scousers just won''t let it rest.9 March 1946Bolton Wanderers v Stoke CityTragedy hits an FA Cup tie between Bolton and Stoke when a wall supporting fans collapses at Burden Park.The collapse crushes spectators and sparks a stampede which kills 33 people and injures more than 400.

2 January 1971Celtic v RangersThe Old Firm derby attracted enormous crowds and this game at Ibrox Stadium was no different.The match was heading for a goalless draw until Celtic scored with a minute to go, prompting a mass exodus of disappointed Rangers fans.Although Colin Stein scored for Rangers in the last minute for 1-1 draw, many Rangers supporters were still on their way out.But with so many fans leaving at the same time, the downward force pushed many people trying to get out to the stadium onto the ground.The momentum of the crowd meant that once people started to fall, there was no way of holding the mass of bodies back and 66 people lost their lives, with another 140 suffering injuries.

11 May 1985Bradford City v Lincoln CityA stray lit cigarette stub ignited a wooden terrace section at Valley Parade.Fire soon engulfed the stand, causing 56 people to lose their lives in one of the worst tragedies in English football.

29 May 1985Juventus v LiverpoolTrouble began when fights broke out between rival English and Italian supporters at the European Cup final at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels.Police repeatedly clashed with fans, but when a wall separating the two sets of fans collapsed, a riot ensued, taking the lives of 39 spectators.

15 April 1989Liverpool v Nottingham ForestThe worst tragedy in English football happened during an FA Cup semi-final at the Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield, killing 96 people.Police, worried about the number of Liverpool fans outside the ground, opened one of the main gates which resulted in a huge number of fans entering the Leppings Lane end.The sudden surge crushed many Liverpool fans against the riot fencing which surrounded around the ground.The disaster prompted huge changes in the structure of English football when Lord Justice Taylor published his report into the incident.

Surely you realise that being born a scouser automatically confers victimhood on you? However, given that the advent of alloy wheels has led to the collapse of the hub-cap broking business, one can sympathise with their sense of victimisation. Perhaps The Sun could run a charity campaign for them.

I think the only silences that should be observed (endured) at Carrow Road are those where people have died who were directly connected to the club. Loyal servants - whether ex players or members of staff. The rest is just irrelevant.

[quote user="crafty canary"]Surely you realise that being born a scouser automatically confers victimhood on you? However, given that the advent of alloy wheels has led to the collapse of the hub-cap broking business, one can sympathise with their sense of victimisation. Perhaps The Sun could run a charity campaign for them.
[/quote]

Scousers are very well balanced individuals,they have a chip on both shoulders.

I think that''s what normally happens, isn''t it? Except at Anfield and Hillsborough, where I presume they still observe the silence.

It''s grim reading Harry''s post, where he details the loss of life. Why wasn''t there more proactive risk management at sporting venues - why does it take a disaster to change things? I remember the Celtic, Bradford and Hillsborough tragedies (I was living in Bradford at the time of that terrible fire), and when you think about it with the wisdom of hindsight, why were they still allowing people to smoke in a wooden stand which had years of rubbish accumulated underneath? With Hillsborough, pitch barriers were brought in to stop one problem in football, but caused another, far worse one - and yet no-one at the time thought that it was probably unwise to cage people up to the extent that they couldn''t escape in an emergency. I suppose it is only with hindsight that anyone can see the danger in what is normal practice.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

The Scouser jokes on this thread are really classy lads. Well done [:|]

[/quote]I couldn''t agree more Shack. The obvious lack of empathy among the folk on this board is appalling. I was born in Liverpool and half of my family still live there, all Liverpool fans, except me. And some of those family members were at Hillsbrough on that fateful day. Justice still needs to be found over these events and that is the main reason that Scousers still bring it to the forefront of peoples minds once a year, not because they have ''a chip on both shoulders''. I do agree however that we shouldn''t have a minutes silence as it is not our place, though it would be good for fans to sit back and remember those lives lost at such tragedies as Hillsborough, Bradford and Heysel, and thank god that it didn''t happen to our club.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="john_starks"]Justice for the 39.
[/quote]

hear,hear !!

I wonder whether Liverpool FC conducts a minute silence every year for the victims of Heysel, ...I would probably think not ?!

[/quote]

they did make that pathetic attempt at making peace with the juventus fans at anfield during a champions league match some years back but  the italians all turned there backs on them as they came across the pitch towards them ...