Sign in to follow this  
CharlieFarlie

Nervous ?

Morning all,

So how is everyone feeling ahead of tonight’s game? It goes without saying that each game during the run in will be our most important game of the season. I am sure that PL and the team will be up for it, but do you think that it will be a subdued, nervous atmosphere from the fans tonight?

We have experienced such flat atmospheres so many times this season as expectation is so high, its loud an vibrant early on but the longer we go without a goal the less noise around the stadium as the crowd becoming increasing nervous in the anticipation of losing or drawing the game.

I stated at the end of last season / beginning of this that mid table or anything above would be a great result, but for many weeks now I have, as most of us have, been carried away on the auto promotion dream. Although I am looking forward to tonight having missed the last two home games, the thought of anything other than 3 points is virtually unbearable.

What every the starting line up, I think the 1st goal will be so critical, and an early one for us should set the place rocking.

Anyone else feel the same?

Exactly the same Charlie. It''s a nightmare isn''t it. I hate the fact that eventhough we are way ahead of where we expected to be and would have killed to be in the position we''re in if it was offered at the start of the season, i''m still going to be absolutely gutted if we tail off now and finish down in 5th or something and lose out in the play offs. And we''ll all be looking at what/who to blame for it and arguing amongst ourselves about it, eventhough we have no right to point the finger and criticise. But we will. It''s just the way fans are!I am really nervous about tonight and Thursday. Thursday is going to be really tough mentally for us because they are going to be so so desperate to avenge 4-1. Remember what happened after 5-0 in 98? We won 1-0. There was no way we were ever going to let 5-0 happen again, envethough we were a pretty poor side back then!  These last few games are all going to be played in the head. And as you say, all we can do and must do is shout and shout our support until we''re hoarse, not sit nervously on our hands saying nothing! So i''ll be making as much noise as poss tonight!

Have a good feeling about tonight. Can''t explain it ... just a gut feeling. Had a bad feeling about Swansea and a few other matches this year and likewise a good feeling about others. Not usually far wrong. Fingers crossed [:)]

Agree with you A1, if we did miss out I certainly won’t be pointing fingers or looking for blame, the last two years have been a revelation at this club. We have passion, commitment; obviously a great fan base and above all we have OUR football club back.

Should it be the play offs then I am confident so long as we are at full strength.

Hope you are right Henry!

Sorry Morty, I am total reverse of you on the percentages at the moment

I should have mentioned it in my OP , but whatever the outcome in the end I will be very happy with how fare we have come, just gutted if we missed out on firstly auto or if its not play offs it its should happen that way. Overall this season we deserve to have a shot in the Prem next year based on what we have achieved so far!

Hopefully a win tonight and results going our way over the weekend will lighten my anxiousness!

[quote user="CharlieFarlie"]

Agree with you A1, if we did miss out I certainly won’t be pointing fingers or looking for blame, the last two years have been a revelation at this club. We have passion, commitment; obviously a great fan base and above all we have OUR football club back.

Should it be the play offs then I am confident so long as we are at full strength.

Hope you are right Henry!

Sorry Morty, I am total reverse of you on the percentages at the moment

I should have mentioned it in my OP , but whatever the outcome in the end I will be very happy with how fare we have come, just gutted if we missed out on firstly auto or if its not play offs it its should happen that way. Overall this season we deserve to have a shot in the Prem next year based on what we have achieved so far!

Hopefully a win tonight and results going our way over the weekend will lighten my anxiousness!

[/quote]Its a tired cliche, but we just have to get behind the team. We need to just man up and make the fortress rock tonight!The rest is up to the guys on the pitch, which we have no control over.Bravo win or die!

By the way Morty, you lost your record of never having seen us lose away after Swansea - i really hope that''s not an omen for my record of never having seen us lose at home.

I agree with you Morty, but the tension always spreads through the whole ground like some sort of disease, even the Barclay and Pit become subdued. I suppose its really up to us early on and they players to respond and really go for it with 110% passion. Funny how it can be so quite one moment and any incident such as an attack, bad challenge or even bad refereeing decision can lift the crowd. I have to say we are one of the best teams for raising the noise when we concede a goal , just not good at lifting the team when we are not controlling or constantly attacking , too higher expectation I suppose.

Just my view though !

[quote user="a1canary"]By the way Morty, you lost your record of never having seen us lose away after Swansea - i really hope that''s not an omen for my record of never having seen us lose at home. [/quote]I know lol, gutted!You going tonight?

In my eyes you have to take a playoff place with a huge sigh of relief and an automatic place as an accidental bonus.

What is frustrating if we don''t make it is that THIS is the season to do it ... Cardiff, Swansea, Reading & Forest are inconsistent. The teams who were demoted (Pompey, Hull & Burnley) are flawed and we are the best of the teams who came up.

Next season we may be minus a few faces (can see QPR warming the bench with Hoolahan) and who knows about Lambert''s long term plans. Plus we could find ourselves competing with a mix of West Ham, Wigan, Birmingham, Blackburn or Wolves at the top.

[quote user="CharlieFarlie"]

I agree with you Morty, but the tension always spreads through the whole ground like some sort of disease, even the Barclay and Pit become subdued. I suppose its really up to us early on and they players to respond and really go for it with 110% passion. Funny how it can be so quite one moment and any incident such as an attack, bad challenge or even bad refereeing decision can lift the crowd. I have to say we are one of the best teams for raising the noise when we concede a goal , just not good at lifting the team when we are not controlling or constantly attacking , too higher expectation I suppose.

Just my view though !

[/quote]Yeah, you can almost smell the tension (actually I think thats a guy that sits near me, he really needs to sort his diet out!)Its difficult, its human nature maybe to ease off when theres no need to be singing and shouting, its impossible to do it for 90 minutes! It really is all just down to nerves, remember the atmosphere in our Championship winning season? It was like we were unbeatable and everyone just turned up at CR expecting to win, there seemed to be a lot less tension.I don''t know if its because the stakes are higher now, or the weight of expectation, or maybe back then it was all just a bit unexpected and it took up by surprise, who knows!Lambert and the team have set themselves high standards, we as fans need to do the same I guess!

I think to look at our last 5 fixtures puts things into perspective.

Home wins against Bristol and Scunny, 9 goals scored and only 1 conceded.

Away draws at both Hull and Watford, both play off contenders, and neither the easiest places to go to. The only defeat, away to Swansea.

Not our best performance admittedly, but in the absence of Hoolahoop and therefore a slightly odd formation, to be honest i didn''t really expect too much.

I seem to remember the about this time last year, we also had a run of draws and the odd defeat that we expected to win, but in a season, which has rarely seen us dip in form, it was inevitable at some point.

Nervous? No. What does concern me though, is if the fans get on the players backs if things don''t go exactly to plan. Some of the reaction and comments on here since Swansea, are absolutely bloody ridiculous, but hey, everyones entitled to their opinions i suppose.

why be nervous, relish the position we find ourselves in, if we were in the bottom 3 or close to it then be nervous, enjoy being third because come 10pm we could be sitting 2nd once again !!!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="CharlieFarlie"]

Just my view though !

[/quote]

Yeah, you can almost smell the tension (actually I think thats a guy that sits near me, he really needs to sort his diet out!)

Its difficult, its human nature maybe to ease off when theres no need to be singing and shouting, its impossible to do it for 90 minutes!

It really is all just down to nerves, remember the atmosphere in our Championship winning season? It was like we were unbeatable and everyone just turned up at CR expecting to win, there seemed to be a lot less tension.

I don''t know if its because the stakes are higher now, or the weight of expectation, or maybe back then it was all just a bit unexpected and it took up by surprise, who knows!

Lambert and the team have set themselves high standards, we as fans need to do the same I guess!
[/quote]

Both I think !